- Volume 5 Issue 2
Purpose: We compared the results of open and arthroscopic Bankart repair in traumatic recurrent anterior dislocation ,3f the shoulder. Materials and methods: We analysed 7 cases underwent open Bankart repair (group I) and 13 cases underwent arthroscopic Bankart repair (group Ⅱ). The average follow-up period was 68.1 months (51-113 months) in group I and 41.1 months (16~57 months) in group Ⅱ. All patients in group I and Ⅱ were non-athletes. We analyzed statistically objective evaluation, such as the stability of shoulder joint, the range of motion, pain, impaired throwing, Bankart rating system by Rowe and subjective evaluation, visual analog scale (VAS) between two groups. Results: In terms of dominant and non-dominant shoulders, the age at initial episode of dislocation, the elapsed time from injury to surgery, the number of preoperative dislocations associated with susceptibility to apprehension. respectively, there was no statistically significant differences between two groups. In group I the average Rowe's scortls was 84.3 and 3 cases (43%) had excellent results,4 cases (S7cfo), good ones. In group H the average Rowe's scores was 87.3 and 7 cases (54%) had excellent results,6 cases, good ones. There was tendency to show more excellent results in group ll, but there was no statistically significant differences. The average VAS were 90.3 points in group I and 88 points in group Ⅱ, which showed also no statistically significant differences. Conclusion: Open and arthroscopic Bankart repairs had no significant difference and showed also good results in travinatic recurrent anterior dislocation of shoulder.
- Bankart ASB: The pathology and treatment of recurrent dislocation of the shoulder joint. Br J Surg, 26:23-29, 1938. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.18002610104
- Benedetto KP and Glotzer W: Arthroscopic Bankart procedure by suture technique: Indications, technique and results. Arthroscopy, 8:111-115, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-8063(92)90144-Z
- Geiger DF, Hurley JA, Tovey JA and Rao JP: Results of arthroscopic versus open Bankart suture repair. Clin Orthop, 337:111-117, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-199704000-00013
- Gill TJ, Micheli LJ, Gebhard F and Binder C: Bankart repair for anterior instability of the shoulder. Long-term outcome. J Bone Joint Surg, 79A:850-857, 1997.
- Grana WA, Buckley PD and Yates CK : Arthroscopic Bankart suture repair. Am J Sports Med, 21:348-353, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659302100304
- Green MR and Christensen KP: Arthroscopic Bankart procedure: A comparision of early morbidity and complications. Arthroscopy 9: 371-374, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(05)80308-1
- Guanche CA, Quick DC, Sodergren KM and Buss DD: Arthroscopic versus open reconstruction of the shoulder in patients with isolated Bankart lesions. Am J Sports Med, 24: 144-148, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659602400204
- Kim SH, Ha KI and Kim SH: Bankart repair in traumatic anterior shoulder instability: Open versus arthroscopic technique. Arthroscopy, 18(7) : 755-763, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2002.31701
- Landsiedl F: Arthroscopic therapy of recurrent anterior luxation of the shoulder by capsular repair. Arthroscopy, 8:296-304, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-8063(92)90059-K
- Organ SW, Siekanowicz AJ, Nirschl RP and Pettrone FA: Arthroscopic transglenoid suture capsulolabral repairs: five year follow-up. Orthop Trans, 20:79-80, 1996.
- Rhee YG and Park JY: The results of Bankart repair for anterior instability of the shoulder: Athroscopic versus Open Bankart procedure. J Kor Shoulder Elbow Soc, 2:60-73, 1999.
- Rowe CR, Patel D and Southmayd WW: The Bankart procedure. A long-term end-result study, J Bone Joint Surg, 60A:1-16, 1978.
- Steinbeck J and Jerosch J: Arthroscopic transglenoid stabilization versus open anchor suturing in traumatic anterior instability of the shoulder. Am J Sports Med, 26:373-378, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465980260030501
- Thomas SC and Matsen FA III: An approach to the repair of avulsion of the glenohumeral ligaments in the management of traumatic anterior glenohumeral instability. J Bone Joint Surg, 71A:506-513, 1989.
- Warner JJP, Deng XH, Warren RF, Torzilli PA: Static capsuloligamentous restraints to superior-inferior translation of the glenohumeral joint. Am J Sports Med, 20:675-685, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659202000608
- Wirth MA, Blatter G and Rockwood CA: The capsular imbrication procedure for recurrent anterior instability of the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg, 78A:246-259, 1996.
- Wolf EM, Wilk RM and Richmond JC: Arthroscopic capsulolabral repair using suture anchors. Orthop Clin North Am, 24:59-69, 1993.