- Volume 5 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose was to identify the effectiveness of beach-chair position in the arthroscopic Bankart repair over conventional lateral decubitus position with distal traction. Materials & Methods: 36 arthroscopic Bankart repair through July 2000 to July 2001 was done under beach chair position. All cases were shoulder instability. Male patients were 6 and female were 4 with average age of 25 years. Arthroscopic suture anchor was used in 24 cases and average number was 3. Results: Interscalene block was tried in 29 patients and 1 case was changed to general anesthesia. Arthroscopic examination to identify Bankart lesion and associated pathology was done without difficulty Bankart lesions were easily reduced to anatomic position and placed suture anchor and hooking approprately. After the arthroscopic examination,3 cases were converted to open procedure without any positional change. Conclusion: Under interscalene block, the preparation was more simple and the patient could watch arthroscopic procedure with confidence. There was no hindrance in arthroscopic examination and arthroscopic repair could be dont: in more anatomic position. It can be easily changed to open repair if it needed
Shoulder instability;Beach chair position
- Andrews JR, Carson WG and Ortega K: Arhroscopy of the shoulder : technique and normal anatomy. Am J Sports Med, 12:1-7, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658401200101
- Andrews JR and Carson WG: Arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder. In: Parisien JS, ed. Arthroscopic surgery New york. McGraw-Hill, 231-241, 1988.
- Brown AR and Bigliani LU : Anesthetic Options for Shoulder Surgery. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review, 6:155-170, 1988.
- D'Alessio J, Rosenblum M, Shea K and Freitas D: A retrospective comparison of interscalene block and general anesthesia for ambulatory surgery shoulder arthroscopy. Reg Anesth, 20;62-68, 1995.
- Klein AH, France JC, Mutschler TA and Fu FH: Measurement of brachial plexus strain in arthroscopy of the shoulder. Arthroscopy, 3; 45-52, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(87)80009-9
- Mitchell E, Murphy F, Wyche M and Torg J: Interscalene brachial plexus block anesthesia for the modified Bristow procedure. Am J Sports Med, 10:79-82, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658201000203
- Paulos L: Arthroscopic shoulder decompression ; technique and preliminary results. In North American Arthroscopy Association Annual Meeting Apr 1985.
- Skyhar MJ, Altchek DW, Warren RF, Wickiewicz TL and O`Brien SJ : Shoulder arthroscopy with the patient in the beach-chair position. Arthroscopy, 4(4):256-259, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(88)80040-9
- Tetzlaff J, Yoon H and Brems J: Interscalene brachial plexus block for shoulder surgery. Reg Anesth, 19:339-343, 1994.
- Wakim E and Beaufils P: Arthroscopy of the shoulder with the patient in beach-chair position. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 77(8): 577-580, 1991.