- Volume 22 Issue 4
The Relationships of Graphing Abilities to Logical Thinking and Science Process Skills of Middle School Students
중학생의 그래프 능력과 논리적 사고력 및 과학 탐구 능력의 관계
- Kim, Tae-Sun (Korea National University of Education) ;
- Bae, Deok-Jin (Korea National University of Education) ;
- Kim, Beom-Ki (Korea National University of Education)
- Published : 2002.12.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationships of graphing abilities to logical thinking and science process skills of middle school students. The subjects for this study were selected 481 students from four middle schools for TOGS(the Test of Graphing in Science), GALT(Group Assessment of Logical Thinking) and TIPS II (Test of Integrated Process Skills). This study shows that the correlation coefficient between abilities of students to construct/interpret graphs and the logical thinking was 0.45, and the correlation coefficient between abilities to construct/interpret graphs and science process skills are 0.32. As a result, abilities of students to construct and interpret graphs arc more correlate the logical thinking than science process skills.
graphing abilities;logical thinking;science process skills;middle school students
- 권재술, 김범기, 우종옥, 정완호, 정진우, 최병순(1998). 과학교육론. 교육과학사
- 문충식, 김범기(1998). 선 그래프 해석과 이해의 지각. 인지과정에 관한 모형. 물리교육, 16(3), 249-259
- 조희형(1992). 과학적 탐구의 본질에 대한 분석 및 탐구력 신장을 위한 학습 지도 방법에 관한 연구. 한국과학교육학회지, 12(1), 61-73
- Clement, J.(1988). The concept of variation and misconceptions in Cartesian graphing(Paper No. 175). University of Massachusettes, Scientific Reasoning Research Institute
- Dibble, E., & Shaklee, H.(1992). Graph interpretation: A translation problem? Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Monk, S.(1992). Students' understanding of a functions given by a physical model. Aspects of epistemology and pedagogy, 175-176
- Pinker, S.(1990). A theory of graph comprehension, In R. Freedle(Ed.), Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Testing. Hillsdale, N. J. : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 73-126
- Rodranka, V., Yeany, R. H., & Padilla, M. J.(1982). The Construction and Validation of a Group Assessment of Logical Thinking. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Dolas, Texas
- Wavering, M. J.(1986). Performance of students in grades six, nine, and twelve on five logical, spatial and formal tasks, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 3(4), 321-333
- McKenzie D., & Padilla, M.(1986). The construction and validation of the test of Graphing in Science(TOGS). Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 23, 369-383
- Wavering, M. J.(1989). Logical reasoning necessary to make line graphs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 26(5), 373-379 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660260502
- Berg, C. A., & Phillips, D. G.(1994). An investigation of the relationship and thinking structures and the ability to construction and interpret line graphs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 31(4), 323-344 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310404
- Padilla, M. J., McKenzie, D. L.. & Shaw, E. L.(1986). An examination of the line graphing ability of students in grades seven through twelve. School Science and Mathematics, 86(1), 20-26 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1986.tb11581.x
- Fisher, M. A.(1992). Categorization, or schema selection in graph comprehension. A Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- 조희형, 박승재(1995). 과학 학습 지도 -계획과 방법-. 교육과학사
- Shah, P.(1995). Cognitive processes in graph comprehension. Doctoral dissertation, Carnegie - mellon university(UMI Dissertation services NO. 9622441)
- Brasell, H. M., & Rowe, M. B.(1993). Graphing skills among high school physics students. School Science and Mathematics, 93(2), 63-70 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1993.tb12196.x
- Bukard, C.(1985). Mathematical symbols and representations. In P. Wilson(Ed.), Research ideas for the classroom: High school mathematics, 78-94
- Roth, W-M, Bowen, G. M., & McGinn, M. K.(1999). Differences in graph-related practices between high school biology textbooks and scientific ecology journals. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(9), 977-1019 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199911)36:9<977::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-V
- Adams, D. D.(1988). The effects of microcomputer-based laboratory exercise on the acquisition of line graph construction and interpretation skills by high school biology students. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, 61st, Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
- Berg, C. A.. & Smith, P.(1994). Assessing students' abilities to construct and interpret line graphs: Dispanties between multiple-choice and free-response instruments. Science Education. 78(6), 527-554 https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730780602
- Wilson, J. T.(1974). Process of Scientific Inquiry: A Model for Teaching and Learning Science. Science Education, 58, 127-133 https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730580118
- Bohrens, J.(1988). Misconceptions of ninth grades surrounding graph construction skills of science data. Paper presented at the meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Lake of the Ozaks, MO.
- Bertin, J.(1983). Semiology of graphics: Diagrams networks maps(W. Berg, Trans.). Madison, WI: The University of Wisconsin Press
- Brasell, H. M.(1990). Graphs, graphing. and graphers. What Research Says to the Science Teacher, 6, 69-85
- Bruns, J. C., Okey, J. R.. & Wise, K. C.(1985). Development of an integrated process skill test: TIPS II. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 22(2), 169-177 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660220208
- 김태선(1998). 고등학생들의 과학관련 그래프 해석능력. 한국교원대학교 석사학위논문
- 권재술, 김범기(1994). 초. 중학생들의 과학 탐구 능력 측정도구의 개발. 한국과학교육학회지, 14(3), 251-264
- 김언주(1990). 인지 심리학. 정음사