- Volume 22 Issue 4
The Comparison of Graphing Abilities of pupils in grades 7 to 12 based on TOGS(The Test of Graphing in Science)
중고등학생들의 과학 그래프 작성 및 해석 능력
- Kim, Tae-Sun (Korea National University of Education) ;
- Kim, Beom-Ki (Korea National University of Education)
- Published : 2002.12.30
Science teachers often suppose that students are able to know the symbolical meaning of graphs when they see the graphs. But such a assumption is not based on the firm theories but a mere image. And we need to search them for holding the abilities to construct and to interpret. In addition, unfortunately, many researchers show that they scarcely have the graphing skills. And then, The Test of Graphing in Science(TOGS) was administered to 535 7th to 12th graders, for we search them for holding the graphing abilities to some degree. Though the higher grade, the better score, they lack the first three among 9 objectives of TOGS which are scaling axes, assigning variables to the axes, using a best fit line, plotting points, translating a graph that displays the data, selecting the corresponding value for y(or x), interrelating/extrapolating graphs, describing the relationship between variables, interrelating the results of the two graphs. It was concluded from this that subjects' graph construction is lower than their graph interpretation in graph skills. It suggests that school science have a bias toward graph interpretation. This tendency represents more strikingly in the case of upper students in TOGS than the others'.
graphing abilities;graph construction;graph interpretation;7th to 12th grade
- Adams, D. D.(1988). The effects of microcomputer-based laboratory exercise on the acquisition of line graph construction and interpretation skills by high school biology students. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, 61st, Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
- Brasell, H. M.(1987). The effect of real-time laboratory graphing on learning graphic representations of distance. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. 24, 385-395 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660240409
- Brasell, H. M.(1990). Graphs, graphing. and graphers. What Research Says to the Science Teacher, 6, 69-85
- Brasell, H. M., & Rowe. M. B.(1993). Graphing skills among high school physics students. School Science and Mathematics, 93(2), 63-70 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1993.tb12196.x
- Dibble, E., & Shaklee, H.(1992). Graph interpretation: A translation problem? Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Fisher, M. A.(1992). Categorization, or schema selection in graph comprehension. A Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco. CA.
- Linn, M. C., Layman, J. W., & Nachmias, R.(1987). Cognitive consequences of microcomputer-based laboratories: Graphing skills development. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 12, 244-253 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-476X(87)80029-2
- McKenzie D., & Padilla, M.(1986). The construction and validation of the test of Graphing in Science(TOGS). Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 23, 369-383
- Pinker, S.(1990). A theory of graph Comprehension. In R. Freedle(Ed.). Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Testing. Hillsdale, N. J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 73-126
- Roth, W-M. Bowen, G. M., & McGinn, M. K.(1999). Differences in graph-related practices between high school biology textbooks and scientific ecology journals. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(9), 977-1019 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199911)36:9<977::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-V
- Wavering, M. J.(1989). Logical reasoning necessary to make line graphs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 26(5), 373-379 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660260502
- Shah, P.(1995). Cognitive processes in graph comprehension. Doctoral dissertation, Carnegie-mellon university(UMI Dissertation services NO. 9622441)
- 김언주(1990). 인지 심리학. 정음사
- Bohrens, J.(1988). Misconceptions of ninth grades surrounding graph construction skills of science data. Paper presented at the meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Lake of the Ozaks, MO.
- Padilla, M. J., McKenzie, D. L., & Shaw, E. L.(1986). An examination of the line graphing ability of students in grades seven through twelve. School Science and Mathematics, 86(1), 20-26 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1986.tb11581.x
- 김태선(1998). 고등학생들의 과학관련 그래프 해석능력. 한국교원대학교 석사학위논문
- 권재술, 김범기, 우종옥, 정완호, 정진우, 최병순(1998). 과학교육론. 교육과학사
- Berg, C. A., & Phillips, D. G.(1994). An investigation of the relationship and thinking structures and the ability to construction and interpret line graphs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 31(4), 323-344 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310404
- Berg, C. A., & Smith, P.(1994). Assessing students' abilities to construct and interpret line graphs: Disparities between multiple-choice and free-response instruments. Science Education, 78(6), 527-554 https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730780602
- Roth, W-M, & McGinn, M. K.(1997). Graphing: Cognitive ability or practice? Science Education, 81, 91-106 https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199701)81:1<91::AID-SCE5>3.0.CO;2-X
- 문충식, 김범기(1998). 선 그래프 해석과 이해의 지각 . 인지과정에 관한 모형. 물리교육, 16(3), 249-259