- Volume 47 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of the Probability Activities in Thinking Science Program on the Development of the Probabilistic Thinking of Middle School Students
Thinking Science 프로그램의 확률 활동이 중학생의 확률적 사고 형성에 미치는 효과
- Kyung-In Shin (Hwacheon High School) ;
- Sang-Kwon Lee (Department of Chemistry Education, Korea National University of Education) ;
- Ae-Kyung Shin (Department of Chemistry Education, Korea National University of Education) ;
- Byung-Soon Choi (Department of Chemistry Education, Korea National University of Education)
- Published : 2003.04.20
The purposes of this study were to investigate the correlation between the cognitive level and the probabilistic thinking level and to analyze the effects of the probability activities in Thinking Science (TS) program on the development of probabilistic thinking. The 219 7th grade students were sampled in the middle school and were divided into an experimental group and a control group. The probability activities in TS program were implemented to the experimental group, while only normal curriculum was conducted in the control group. The results of this study showed that most of 7th grade students were in the concrete operational stage and used both subjective and quantitative strategy simultaneously in probability problem solving. It was also found that the higher the cognitive level of the students, the higher the probabilistic thinking level of them. The sample space and the probability of an event in the constructs of probability were first developed as compared to the probability comparisons and the conditional probability. The probability activities encouraged the students to use quantitative strategy in probability problem solving and to recognize probability of an event. Especially, the effectiveness was relatively higher for the students in the mid concrete operational stage than those in any other stage.
Probabilistic Thinking;Cognitive Level;Thinking Science Program
- Piaget, J.; Inhelder, B. The origin of the idea of chance in children; Routledge & Kegan Paul: London, UK, 1975.
- Fischbein, E. The intuitive source of probabilistic thinking in children; D. Reidel Publishing Co.: Boston, U.S.A., 1975.
- Green, D. A Survey of Probability Concepts in 3000 Pupils aged 11-16 Years; In D. Grey, P. Holmes, V. Barnett, & G. Constable Eds., Teaching statistics Trust: Sheffield, UK, 1983, pp. 766-783.
- Green, D. Teaching Statistics, 1983, 5(2), 34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9639.1983.tb00493.x
- Kang, H. K. A study on teaching and learning concepts of probability using PET(Probability Experimental Tool). Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea National University of Education, 1997.
- Jones, G. A.; Langrall, C. W.; Thornton, C. A.; Mogill, T. A. Educational Studies in Mathematics 1997, 32(2), 101. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1002981520728
- Jones, G. A.; Langrall, C. W.; Thornton, C. A.; Mogill, T. A. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education1999, 30(5), 487. https://doi.org/10.2307/749771
- Adey, P.; Shayer, M. Towards a science of science teaching; Heinemann Educational Books: London, UK, 1981.
- Fischbein, E.; Schnarch, D. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 1997, 28(1), 96. https://doi.org/10.2307/749665
- Adey, P.; Shayer, M.; Yates, C. Thinking science; 2nd ed., Nelson & Sons Ltd: London, UK, 1995.
- Wylam, H.; Shayer, M. CSMS Science Reasoning Tasks;NEFR Publishing Co., 1980.
- Choi, B.-S.; Choi, M.-H.; Nam, J.-H.; Lee, S.-K. J. Kor. Assoc. Res. Sci. Educ. 2002, 22(3), 422.
- Kim, S.-J.; Lee, S.-K.; Park, J.-Y.; Kang, S.-J.; Choi, B.-S. J. Kor. Assoc. Res. Sci. Educ. 2002, 22(3), 604. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9639.1983.tb00493.x
- Nam, J.-H.; Yoon, K.-R.; Lee, S.-K.; Hahn, I. Journal of the Korean Chemical Society 2002, 46(6), 569. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2002.46.6.569
- Park, J.-Y.; Kim, J.-Y.; Nam, J.-H.; Lee, S.-K.; Choi, B.-S.J. Kor. Assoc. Res. Sci. Educ. 2002, 22(4), 696. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1002981520728
- Choi, B.-S.; Han, H.; Kang, S.-J.; Lee, S.-K.; Kang, S.-H.; Park, J.-Y.; Nam, J.-H. J. Kor. Assoc. Res. Sci. Educ. 2002,22(4), 837. https://doi.org/10.2307/749771
- Jones, G. A.; Langrall, C. W.; Thornton, C. A.; Mogill, T. A. Understanding Students’ Probabilistic Reasoning; National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Yearbook. 1999, pp. 146-150.
- Lim, C. H. Hierarchical analysis of logical thinking skills and science procss skills. Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea National University of Education, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/749665