- Volume 25 Issue 2
Though the airborne laser scanning (ALS) technique is becoming more popular in many applications, horizontal accuracy of points scanned by the ALS is not yet satisfactory when compared with the accuracy achieved for vertical positions. One of the major reasons is the drift that occurs in the inertial measurement unit (IMU) during the scanning. This paper presents an algorithm that adjusts for the error that is introduced mainly by the drift of the IMU that renders systematic differences between strips on the same area. For this, we set up an observation equation for strip-wise adjustments and completed it with tie point and control point coordinates derived from the scanned strips and information from aerial photos. To effectively capture the tie points, we developed a set of procedures that constructs a digital surface model (DSM) with breaklines and then performed feature-based matching on strips resulting in a set of reliable tie points. Solving the observation equations by the least squares method produced a set of affine transformation equations with 6 parameters that we used to transform the strips for adjusting the horizontal error. Experimental results after evaluation of the accuracy showed a root mean squared error (RMSE) of the adjusted strip points of 0.27 m, which is significant considering the RMSE before adjustment was 0.77 m.
- ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.54 Airborne Laser Scanning-an Introduction and Overview Wehr, A.;Lohr, U.
- ETRI J. v.24 no.4 Estimating the Position of Mobiles by Multi-Criteria Decision Making Lee, Jong-Chan;Ryu, Byung-Han;Ahn, Jee-Hwan
- ETRI J. v.23 no.3 A Cost Effective Reference Data Sampling Algorithm Using Fractal Analysis Lee, Byoung-Kil;Eo, Yang-Dam;Jeong, Jae-Joon;Kim, Yong-Il
- PE & RS v.66 no.8 Wide-Area Topographic Mapping and Applications Using Airborne LIght Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) Technology Hill, J.M.;Graham, L.A.;Henry, R.J.;Cotter, D.M.;Young, D.
- ETRI J. v.22 no.2 A Radial Basis Function Approach to Pattern Recognition and Its Application Shin, M.Y.;Park, C.H.
- ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.54 Airborne Laser Scanning: Existing Systems and Firms and Other Resources Baltsavias, E.P.
- ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.53 Determination of Terrain Models in Wooded Areas with Airborne Laser Scanner Data Kraus, K.;Pfeifer, N.
- ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.53 Errors and Accuracy Estimates of Laser Data Acquired by Various Laser Scanning Systems for Topographic Application Huising, E.J.;Gomes Pereira, L.M.
- IAPRS v.31/3 Capture and Evaluation of Airborne Laser Scanner Data Kilian, J.;Haala, N.;Englich, M.
- Int'l Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.33 On the Matching Accuracy of Rasterised Scanning Laser Altimeter Data Behan, A.
- Step towards Quality Improvement of Airborne Laser Scanner Data Behan, A.;Mass, H.G.;Vosselman, G.
- Int'l Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.33 On the Adjustment of Overlapping Strips of Laseraltimeter Height Data Crombaghs, M.J.E.;Brugelmann, R.;de Min, E.J.
- Int'l Archives of Photogrammery and Remote Sensing v.33 Least-Squares Matching with Airborne Laserscanning Data in a TIN Structure Maas, H.
- ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing v.54 Two Algorithms for Extracting Building Models from Raw Laser Altimetry Data Maas, H.;Vosselman, G.
- Journal of the Korean Society for Geo-Spatial Information System v.3 no.1 A Study on the Extraction of Building for Three Dimensional City Model Cha, Young-Su;Kim, Yong-Il;Eo, Yang-Dam;Lee, Byoung-Kil