- Volume 25 Issue 2
A Direction-Based Vascular Pattern Extraction Algorithm for Hand Vascular Pattern Verification
- Im, Sang-Kyun (TechSphere Co. Ltd.) ;
- Choi, Hwan-Soo (Department of Informaiton Engineering, Myong-ji University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Won (Department of Electronics Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2002.06.04
- Published : 2003.04.30
This paper proposes an improved vascular pattern extraction algorithm for person verification applications. The proposed direction-based vascular pattern extraction (DBVPE) algorithm is based on the directional information of vascular patterns. It applies two different filters to the input images: row vascular pattern extraction filter (RVPEF) for effective extraction of the abscissa vascular patterns and column vascular pattern extraction filter (CVPEF) for effective extraction of the ordinate vascular patterns. We use the combined output of both filters to obtain the final hand vascular patterns. Unlike the conventional hand vascular pattern extraction algorithm, the directional extraction approach prevents loss of the vascular pattern connectivity. To validate the DBVPE algorithm, we used a prototype system with a DSP processor. The prototype system shows approximately a three-times better false acceptance rate (FAR) than the conventional single filter algorithm.
- ETRI J. v.23 no.2 Efficient Iris Recognition through Improvement of Feature Vector and Classifier Lim, Shin-Young;Lee, Kwan-Yong;Byeon, Ok-Hwan;Kim, Tai-Yun
- ETRI J. v.20 no.3 Efficient Content-Based Image Retrieval Methods Using Color and Texture Lee, Sang-Mi;Bae, Hee-Jung;Jung, Sung-Hwan
- The Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society v.29 no.10 Fingerprint Classification Using a Hexagonal Fast Fourier Transform Fitz, A.P.;Green, R.J.
- The Journal of the Pattern Recognition Society no.7-9 Geometric Framework for Fingerprint Image Classification Chong, Michale M.S.;Ngee, T.H.;Jun, L.;Gay, Robert K.L.
- CESG X92A/4009309 Biometric Product Testing Final Report
- IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis & Machine Intelligence v.22 no.10 Biometric Identification through Hand Geometry Measurements Sanchez Reillo R.;Sanchez Avila C.;Gonzalez Marcos A.
- Proc. of Korea Signal Processing Conf. v.10 no.1 A Person Identification Algorithm Utilizing Hand Vein Pattern Park, G.T.;Im, S.K.;Choi, H.S.
- Proc. of IEEK Fall Conf. v.22 no.2 Implementation of Real Time System for Personal Identification Algorithm Utilizing Hand Vein Pattern Hong, D.U.;Im, S.K.;Choi, H.S.
- Proc. of IEEE ICCE Improved Vein Pattern Extracting Algorithm and its Implementation Im, S.K.;Park, H.M.;Kim, S.W.;Chung, C.K.;Choi, H.S.
- Journal of the Korean Physical Society v.38 no.3 A Biometric Identification System by Extracting Hand Vein Patterns Im, S.K.;Park, H.M.;Kim, S.W.
- IEICE Trans. Fundamentals v.E79 no.3 Design of FIR Digital Filters Using Estimates of Error Function over CSD Coefficient Space Mitsuhiko Yagyu;Akinori Nishihara;Nobuo Fujii
- Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems Canonical Signed Digit Representation for FIR Digital Filters Hewlitt, Reid M.;Swartzlander, Earl S.
- Computer in Biology and Medicine v.29 Automatic Segmentation of Contours of Corneal Cells Sanchez-Marin, Francisco J.
- IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence v.19 no.4 On-Line Fingerprint Verification Jain, A.K.;Hong, L.;Bolle, R.
- IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence v.19 no.7 On the Error-Reject Trade-Off in Biometric Verification Systems Matteo Golfarelli;Dario Maio;Davide Maltoni