- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Dietary Lysine Requirement of Juvenile Yellowtail Flounder Pleuronectes ferrugineus
- Kim, Jeong-Dae (Department of Feed Science and Technology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lall, Santosh P. (Institute for Marine Biosciences, National Research Council)
- Received : 2002.03.25
- Accepted : 2003.07.07
- Published : 2003.12.01
The lysine requirements of juvenile yellowtail flounder (Pleuronectes ferrugineus) having 19.5 g initial body weight were estimated by feeding six practical-type diets containing graded levels of lysine (1.21 to 2.69% of dry diet). Dietary amino acid profile simulated that of whole body of yellowtail flounder. Most of amino acids in the diets were provided by corn gluten meal, herring meal and gelatin. Protein efficiency ratio (PER) improved significantly until lysine level increased up to 2.1% (4.3% of protein). Same trend was observed in feed:gain ratio (FGR) which maintained constant in fish groups fed diets containing lysine above 2.1%. The highest nitrogen gain (0.34 g/fish) in whole body was found in fish fed 2.1% lysine, though the value was not different from those of fish fed above the level of lysine. Fish fed 2.1% lysine also showed the best nitrogen retention efficiency of 24.6%. The broken-line analysis of protein efficiency ratio and body nitrogen gain against dietary lysine level yielded an estimated lysine requirement of 2.2% (4.5% of protein) and 2.3% (4.7% of protein), respectively.
Pleuronectes Ferrugineus;Lysine Requirement;PER;FGR;Nitrogen Gain
Supported by : Ocean Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Craig, S. R. and D. M. Gatlin. 1992. Dietary lysine requirement of juvenile red drum Sciaenops ocellatus. J. World Aquacult. Soc. 23:133-137.
- Gehrke, C. W., L. Wall, J. S. Absheer, F. E. Kaiser and R. W. Zumwalt. 1985. Sample preparation for chromatograph of amino acids: acid hydrolysis of proteins. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 68:811-821.
- Jackson, A. J. and B. S. Capper. 1982. Investigations into the requirements of the tilapia Sarotherodon mossambicus for dietary methionine, lysine and arginine in semi-synthetic diets. Aquaculture 29:289-297.
- Ogata, H., S. Arai and T. Nose. 1983. Growth response of cherry salmon Oncorhynchus masou and amago salmon O. rhodurus fry fed purified casein diets supplemented with amino acids. Bull. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 49:1381-1385.
- Ohno, T. and I. Tasaki. 1971. Effect of dietary lysine level on plasma free amino acids in adult cockerels. J. Nutr. 102:603-608.
- Robbins, K. R., H. W. Norton and D. H. Baker. 1979. Estimation of nutrient requirements from growing data. J. Nutr. 109:1710-1714.
- Wilson, R. P. 1991. Amino acid nutrition of fish: a new method of estimating requirement values. In: Proc. 12th US.-Japan Symp. On Aquaculture Nutrition, Newport, Oregon, Oct. 1991. pp. 49-54.
- Borlongan, I. G. and R. M. Coloso. 1993. Requirements of juvenile milkfish (Chanos chanos Forsskal) for essential amino acids. J. Nutr. 123:125-132.
- Nose, T., S. Arai, D. Lee and Y. Hashimoto. 1974. A note on amino acids essential for growth of young carp. Bull. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 40:903-908.
- Robinson, E. H., R. P. Wilson and W. E. Poe. 1980. Re-evaluation of the lysine requirement and lysine utilization by fingerling channel catfish. J. Nutr. 110:2313-2316.
- Mitchell, J. R., D. E. Becker, A. H. Jensen, B. G. Harman and H. W. Norton. 1968. Determination of amino acid needs of the young pig by nitrogen balance and plasma free amino acids. J. Anim. Sci. 27:1327-1331.
- Santiago, C. B. and R. T. Lovell. 1988. Amino acid requirements for growth of nile tilapia. J. Nutr. 118:1540-1546.
- Wilson, R. P., D. E. Harding and D. L. Garling. 1977. Effect of dietary pH on amino acid utilization and the lysine requirement of fingerling channel catfish. J. Nutr. 107:166-170.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 1:1-42.
- Forster, I. and H. Y. Ogata. 1998. Lysine requirement of juvenile Japanese flounder Paralichthys olivaceus and juvenile red sea bream Pagrus major. Aquaculture 161:131-142.
- Alam, M. S., S. I. Teshima, D. Yaniharto, S. Koshio and M. Ishikawa. 2002. Influence of different dietary amino acid patterns on growth and body composition of juvenile Japanese flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus. Aquaculture 210:359-369.
- Anderson, J. S., S. P. Lall, D. M. Anderson and M. A. McNiven. 1993. Quantitative dietary requirement of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 50:316-322.
- Cole, D. J. A. 1978. Amino acid nutrition of the pig. In: (Ed. W. Haresign and D. Lewis), Recent advances in Animal Nutrition. Butterworth, London, pp. 59-72.
- Basha, S. M. M. and R. M. Roberts. 1977. A simple colorimetric method for the determination of tryptophan. Anal. Biochem. 77:378-386.
- Brown, P. B. 1995. Using whole-body amino acid patterns and quantitative requirements to rapidly develop diets for new species such as striped bass (Morone saxatilis). J. Appl. Ichthyol. 11:342-346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.1995.tb00037.x
- Brown, J. A. and L. W. Crim. 1998. Yellowtail flounder (Pleuronectes ferrugineus) aquaculture: recent progress and future considerations. Proc. of 98 Aquaculture, p. 76. Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Feb. 15-19, 1998.
- Akiyama, T., S. Arai, T. Murai and T. Nose. 1985. Threonine, histidine and lysine requirements of chum salmon fry. Bull. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 51:635-639.
- Rama, P. B., V. C. Metta and B. C. Johnson. 1959. The amino acid composition and nutritive value of protein. I. essential amino acid requirements of the growing rat. J. Nutr. 69:387-391.
- Brown, P. B., D. Davies and E. H. Robinson. 1988. An estimate of the dietary lysine requirement of juvenile red drum, Sciaenops ocellatus. J. World. Aquacult. Soc. 19:109-112.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Airlington, Virginia, p. 1141.
- Rodehutscord, M., S. Jacobs, M. Pack and E. Pfeffer. 1995. Response of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) growing from 50 to 170 g to supplements of either L-arginine or Lthreonine in a semipurified diet. J. Nutr. 125:970-975.
- Kim, J.-D. and S. P. Lall. 2000. Amino acid composition of whole body tissue of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus), yellowtail flounder (Pleuronectes ferruginea) and Japanese flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). Aquaculture 187:367-373.
- Tibaldi, E. and D. Lanari. 1991. Optimal dietary lysine levels for growth and protein utilization of fingerling seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) fed semipurified diets. Aquaculture 95:297-304.
- Cowey, C. B., J. Adron and A. Blair. 1970. Studies on the nutrition of marine flatfish: the essential amino acid requirements of plaice and sole. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK. 50:87-95.
- Kim, K.-I., T. B. Kayes and C. H. Amundson. 1992. Requirements for lysine and arginine by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquaculture 106:333-344.
- Baker, D. H. 2000. Recent advances in use of the ideal protein concept for swine feed formulation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:294-301.
- Ruchimat, T., T. Masumoto, H. Hosokawa, Y. Itoh and S. Shimeno. 1997. Quantitative lysine requirement of yellowtail (Seriola quinqueradiata). Aquaculture 158:331-339.
- Walton, M. J., C. B. Cowey, R. M. Coloso and J. W. Adron. 1986. Dietary requirements of rainbow trout for tryptophan, lysine and arginine determined by growth and biochemical measurements. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 2:161-169.
- Griffin, M. E., P. B. Brown and A. L. Grant. 1992. The dietary lysine requirement of juvenile hybrid striped bass. J. Nutr. 122:1332-1337.
- Cowey, C. B. 1992. Nutrition: estimating requirements of rainbow trout. Aquaculture 100:177-189.
- Ketola, H. G. 1983. Requirement for dietary lysine and arginine by fry of rainbow trout. J. Anim. Sci. 56:101-107. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.561101x
- Investigating the appropriate mode of expressing lysine requirement of fish through non-linear mixed model analysis and multilevel analysis vol.109, pp.06, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114512002863