- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Regression Studies of Dry Weight of Planktonic Biomass on Physico-chemical Parameters of Ponds with Special Reference to Fertilization
- Mahboob, Shahid (Post-Graduate Department of Zoology, Government College) ;
- Sheri, A.N. (Ex-Vice Chancellor University of Agriculture)
- Received : 2001.08.27
- Accepted : 2002.01.15
- Published : 2003.02.01
The regression equations of dry weight of planktonic biomass upon physico-chemical characteristics of fifteen ponds in three replicates under the influence of artificial feed, broiler manure, buffalo manure, N:P:K (25:25:0) and a control pond was obtained after one year of experimental period by using stepwise regression method. Water samples from each of the ponds were analyzed daily. However, the average values were calculated on the basis of 15 day intervals designated as fortnight. In artificial feed supplemented pond the regression of average nitrates on dry weight of planktonic biomass accounted for 71.7% of the variation in biomass. In broiler manure fertilization pond the regression of total nitrogen on dry weight of planktonic biomass held it responsible for more than 74.6% of variation in biomass. In buffalo's manure fertilized pond more than 82% of the variations in biomass were due to total nitrogen. In case of N:P:K (25:25:0) treated pond 66% of the variation in the dry weight of planktonic biomass was due to average nitrates. The control pond showed the dependence of biomass on light penetration. This equation explained more than 62 percent of variation in biomass. Other variables also showed some contribution towards variation in biomass under all the treatments in these regression studies.
- Boyd, C. E. 1981. Water Quality in Warmwater Fish Ponds. (2nd Ed.). Craftmaster Printers, Inc., Opelika, Alabama. p. 359.
- Boyd, C. E. 1984. Water Quality Management for Pond Fish Culture (2nd Ed.). Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Oxford, New York. p. 318.
- Mahboob, S. 1986. Seasonal changes in planktonic life and water chemistry of 'Ajmal' fish farm, Samundri Road, Faisalabad. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad. p. 89.
- Mahboob, S. and A. N. Sheri. 2001. Influence of fertilizers and artificial feed on the seasonal variation of planktonic life in fish. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 8:125-132.
- Khan, A. A. and A. Q. Siddique. 1974. Seasonal variations in the limnology of a pennial fish at Aligarh. Ind. Fish. J. 21:15-19.
- Zahid, M. 1997. Seasonal limnological variations in Rakh branch canal, Samundri Road, Faisalabad. M. Sc. Thesis, Govt. College, Faisalabad. p. 105.
- Mahboob, S. and A. N. Sheri. 1993b. Regression studies on the physico-chemical characteristics and planketonic life of fish pond. Pak. J. Zool. 25:19-21.
- A.P.H.A. 1975. Standard Methods for the Examination of water and Wastewater, Washington. p. 670.
- A.O.A.C. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (14th ed.) Arlington Virginia. p.1141.
- Mahboob, S., A. N. Sheri and T. Fouzia. 1993a. Effect of physicochemical factors on the dry weight of planktonic biomass in the brood stock pond-1, Fish seed hatchery, Faisalabad. Pak. J. Zool. 25:15-18.
- Brezonik, P. L., T. L. Crisman and R. L. Schulze. 1983. Planktonic communities of Florida (USA). Software lakes in varying pH. Can. J. Fish, Aquat. Sci. 41:46-56. https://doi.org/10.1139/f84-005
- Forsyth, D. J., M. T. Downes, M. Gibbs, L. Kemp, I. Mccallan, L. Mackenzie and G. 7. Payne. 1983. Aspects of the limnology of lake Rotongalo (NewZealand). N.Z.J. Mar. Freshw. Res. 17:423-436. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1983.9516017
- Mahboob, S., A. N. Sheri, M. B. Sial, M. Javed and M. Afzal. 1988. Seasonal changes in physcio-chemsitry and planktonic life of a commercial fish farm. Pak. J. Agric. Sci. 25:22-27.
- McQueen, D. J. and D. R. S. Lean. 1987. Influence of water temperature and nitrogen to phosphorus ratios on the dominance of blue green algae in lake. St. George. Ontario. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 44:598-608.
- Vasisht, H. S. and R. Jindal. 1980. Biological survey of Puck stream of Patiala (Punjab India). Limnologica 12:112-115.
- Effects of phenylalanine fermentation byproduct and sugarcane molasses on fermentation quality and rumen degradation of whole crop barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) silage in situ vol.52, pp.2, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-697X.2006.00050.x