- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Ruminal Degradability of Tropical Feeds and Their Potential Use in Ruminant Diets
- Chanjula, P. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wanapat, M. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wachirapakorn, C. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Uriyapongson, S. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Rowlinson, P. (Department of Agriculture, University of Newcastle upon Tyne)
- Received : 2002.07.21
- Accepted : 2002.10.14
- Published : 2003.02.01
The objective of this study was to determine the degradability of cassava chip (CC), cassava waste (CW), yellow sweet potato (YP), white sweet potato (WP), purple sweet potato (PP), corn meal (CM), and rice bran (RB) using in situ technique. Two ruminally fistulated steers with an average weight of
Rumen Degradability;Tropical Energy Sources;Ruminants;Nylon Bag;Microbial Protein Synthesis
- Chen, X. B. 1996. An Excel Application Program for Processing Feed Degradability Data. User Manual, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, UK.
- De Boer, G., J. J. Murphy and J. J. Kennelly. 1987. Mobile nylon bag for estimating intestinal available of rumen undegradable protein. J. Dairy Sci. 70:977-982. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80102-9
- Firkins, J. L. 1996. Maximizing microbial protein-synthesis in the rumen. J. Nutr. 126. S1347.
- Nocek, J. E. and S. Tamminga. 1991. Site of digestion of starch in the gastro-intestinal tract of dairy cows and its effect on milk yield and composition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3598-3629. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78552-4
- Orskov, E. R., G. W. Reid and M. Kay. 1988. Prediction of intake by cattle from degradation characteristics of roughage. Anim. Prod. 46:29-34. https://doi.org/10.1017/S000335610000307X
- Owens, F. N., R. A. Zinn and Y. K. Kim. 1986. Limits to starch digestion in the ruminant small-in intestine. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1634-1648. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351634x
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis (Apparatus, Reagent, Procedures and some Application). Agric. Handbook. No. 397, ARS, USDA, Washington, DC, p. 19.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. 92:499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Richard, J. E., M. Asaoha and M. V. Blanshard. 1991. The physiochemical properties of cassava starch. Tropical Science. 31:189-207.
- Rooney, L. W. and R. L. Pflugfelder. 1986. Factors affecting starch digestibility with special emphasis on sorghum and corn. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1607-1623. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351607x
- Cone, J. W., A. H. Van Glider and P. G. B. De Lange. 1997. Determination of rumen fermentation characteristics of concentrate ingredients with the gas production technique. Processing of the British Society of Animal Science. Annual meeting March 1997, British Society of Animal Science. 195.
- Herrera-Saldana, R., R. Gomez-Alarcon, M. Torali and J. T. Huber. 1990. Influence of synchronizing protein and starch degradation in the rumen on nutrient utilization an microbial protein synthesis. J. Dairy Sci. 73:142-148. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78657-2
- Sommart, K., D. S. Parker, P. Rowlinson and M. Wanapat. 2000. Fermentation characteristics and microbial protein synthesis in an in vitro system using cassava, rice straw and dried ruzi grass as substrates. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1094-1101. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1094
- Hoover, W. H. 1986. Chemical factors involved in ruminal fiber digestion. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2755-2766. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80724-X
- SAS. 1998. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 7th Edition. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Yu, P., A. R. Egan, J. H. G. Holmes and B. J. Leury. 1998. Influence of dry roasting of whole faba beans (Vicia faba) on rumen degradation characteristics in dairy cows, II: starch. Asain-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 11:503-509. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1998.503
- Cone, J. W., W. Clinetheil, A. Malestein and A. T. Vantklooster. 1989. Degradation of starch by incubation with rumen fluid-a comparison of different starch sources. J. Sci. Food and Agric. 49:173-183. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740490206
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient Requirement of Ruminants in Developing Countries. International Feedstuffs Institute, Utah State University, Utah.
- Wanapat, M. 2000. Rumen manipulation to increase the efficient use of local feed resources and productivity of ruminants in the tropics. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13(Suppl.):59-67.
- National Research Council. 2001. Nutritional Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th rev. ed. Natl. Acad. Sci., Washington, DC.
- Huntington, G. B. 1997. Starch utilization by ruminants: From basics to the bunk. J. Anim. Sci. 75:852-867. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753852x
- Preston, T. R. and R. A. Leng. 1987. Matching Ruminant Production Systems with Available Resources in the Tropics and Sub-tropics. Armidale Australia: Penambul Books.
- Sommart, K., M. Wanapat, C. Wachirapakhorn and W. Toburan. 1991. Digestibility of organic matter of various energy sources in rumen of cattle and buffaloes. In: Proceeding the 29th Annual Meeting, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Orskov, E. R. 1982. Protein Nutrition in Ruminants. Academic Press, London. UK.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Wester, T. J., S. M. Gramlich, R. A. Britton and R. A. Stock. 1992. Effect of grain sorghum hybrid on in vitro rate of starch disappearance and finishing performance of ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 70:2866-2876. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7092866x
- Cone, J. W. and M. G. E. Wolters. 1990. Some properties and degradability of isolated starch granules. Starch/Starke. 42:298-301. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19900420804
- Kotarski, S. F., R. D. Waniska and K. K. Thurn. 1992. Starch hydrolysis by the ruminal microflora. J. Nutr. 122:178-190. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/122.1.178
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, K. Sommart, S. Uriyapongson, W. Toburan, D. Parker and P. Rowlinson. 1995. Effects of energy sources on rumen fermentation, degradability and rice straw intake in swamp buffaloes. In: Proceedings Int. Workshop on Draft Animal Power to Increase Farming Efficiency and Sustainability. (Ed. M. Wanapat, S. Uriyapongson and K. Sommart). Khon Kaen: Khon Kaen University. Thailand.
- Noziere, P. and B. Michalet-Doreau. 2000. Farm animal metabolism and nutriton: In Sacco Methods. Edited by D' Mello. J.P.F. CABI Publishing. New York, NY. pp. 233-254.
- Rumen microbes and microbial protein synthesis in Thai native beef cattle fed with feed blocks supplemented with a urea–calcium sulphate mixture vol.67, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/1745039X.2013.857080
- Assessment of different levels of enset (Ensete ventricosum) corm as an energy supplement in sheep fed a basal diet of Rhodes grass hay vol.46, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-014-0583-8
- Influence of varying levels of supplemental cassava root meal without or with groundnut cake on performance of growing Laisind cattle vol.46, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-014-0586-5
- gas production in rumen fluid of buffalo as affected by urea-calcium mixture in high-quality feed block vol.85, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12168
- Optimal Cultivation Time for Yeast and Lactic Acid Bacteria in Fermented Milk and Effects of Fermented Soybean Meal on Rumen Degradability Using Nylon Bag Technique vol.29, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0798
- degradability of conventional and unconventional starch sources for ruminants, and factors determining their washable fraction: methodological implications vol.89, pp.11, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3673