- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sire Breed on the Subsequent Reproductive Performances of Landrace Sows
- Huang, Y.H. (Division of Applied Biology, Animal Technology Institute Taiwan) ;
- Yang, T.S. (Division of Applied Biology, Animal Technology Institute Taiwan) ;
- Lee, Y.P. (Dept. of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Roan, S.W. (Dept. of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Liu, S.H. (Division of Applied Biology, Animal Technology Institute Taiwan)
- Received : 2002.03.04
- Accepted : 2002.10.08
- Published : 2003.04.01
Reproductive traits of sows are determined chiefly by the genetic background of the dam herself. Whether the breed of the serviced boars also contributes is not yet clear. A total of 8,946 litters of Landrace (L) sows from 68 farms were examined. Of these, 876, 1,260, and 6,810 litters were produced from natural mating with L, Yorkshire (Y), and Duroc (D) breeds, respectively. The birth litter size (BLS), weaning litter size (WLS), live born piglets (LBP), and survival rate % (SR), of every litter were recorded. A general linear-model procedure was followed to estimate the effects of boars' breed (B), parity (P) and B
Sow;Sire Effects;Parity;Litter Size;Survival Rate
- Kennedy, B. W. and J. N. Wilkins. 1984. Boar, breed and environmental factors influencing semen characteristics of boars used in artificial insemination. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 64: 833-843. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas84-097
- Kuo, Y. H., S. Y. Huang and Y. P. Lee. 1997. Effect of breed and season on semen characteristics of boars in subtropical area. J. Chin. Soc. Vet. Sci. 23:114-122.
- Tantasuparuk, W., N. Lundeheim, A. M. Dalin, A. Kunavongkrit and S. Einarsson. 2000. Reproductive performance of purebred Landrace and Yorkshire sows in Thailand with special reference to seasonal influence and parity number. Theriogenology 54:481-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00364-2
- Hill, W. G. and A. J. Webb. 1982. Genetics of reproduction in the pig. In: Control of Pig Reproduction (Ed. D. J. A. Cole and G. R. Foxcroft). Butterworth Scientific, London. pp. 541-564.
- Yen, H. F., G. A. Isler, W. R. Harvey and K. M. Irvin. 1987. Factors affecting reproductive performance in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1340-1348.
- Cheon, Y. M., H. K. Kim, C. B. Yang, Y. J. Yi and C. S. Park. Effect of seaeon influencing semen characteristics, frozenthawed sperm viability and testosterone concentration in Duroc boars. Asian-Aust. J. Ainm. Sci. 15:500-503.
- Kim, B. W., S. D. Kim, I. J. Lee, K. H. Chung, O. S. Kwon, J. K. Ha and J. G. Lee. 2002. Estimation of direct and service sire genetic parameters for reproductive traits in Yorkshire. Asian-Aust. J. Ainm. Sci. 15:1232-1236.
- Wang, C. D. and C. Lee. 1999. Estimation of genetic variance and covariance components for litter size and litter weight in Danish Landrace swine using a multivariate mixed model. Asian-Aust. J. Ainm. Sci. 12:1015-1018.
- Clark, L. K., A. P. Schinckel, W. L. Singleton, M. E. Einstein and R. F. Teclaw. 1989. Use of farrowing rate as a measure of fertility of boars. JAVMA 194:239-243.
- Tummaruk, P., N. Lundeheim, S. Einarsson and A. M. Dalin. 2001. Reproductive performance of purebred Hampshire sows in Sweden. Live. Prod. Sci. 68:67-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00207-4
- Baas, T. J., L. L. Christian and M. F. Rothschild. 1992. Heterosis and recombination effects in Hampshire and Landrace Swine: I. Maternal traits. J. Anim. Sci. 70:89-98.
- Swierstra, E. E. and G. W. Dyck. 1976. Influence of the boar and ejaculation frequency on pregnancy rate and embryonic survival in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 42:455-460.
- Strang, G. S. 1970. Litter productivity in Large White pigs. Anim. Prod. 12:225-233. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100038794
- Xue, J. L, G. D. Dial, W. E. Marsh and T. Lucia. 1997. Association between lactation length and sow reproductive performance and longevity. JAVMA 210:935-938.
- Pepper, T. A., G. Gettinby, M. A. Waddell and D. J. Taylor. 1984. Assessment of the reproductive performance of individual boars and the growth rate of their progeny in commercial units using a computerised monitoring system. Vet. Rec. 114:134-137. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.114.6.134
- Wettemann, R. P. and F. W. Bazer. 1985. Influence of environmental temperature on prolificacy of pigs. J. Reprod. Fertil. Suppl. 33:199-208.
- Boender, J. 1966. The development of A.I. in pigs in the Netherlands and the storage of boar semen. World Rev. Anim. Prod. 2:29-41.
- Van der Lende, T., N. M. Soede and B. V. Kemp. 1994. Embryo mortality and prolificacy in the pig. In: Principles of Pig Science (Ed. D. J. A. Cole, J. Wiseman and M. A. Varley). Nottinggham University Press. Nottinggham. pp. 297-317.
- Koketsu, Y., G. D. Dial and V. L. King. 1997. Influence of various factors on farrowing rate on farms using early weaning. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2580-2587.
- Gaugler, H. R., D. S. Buchanan, R. L. Hintz and R. K. Johnson. 1984. Sow productivity comparisons for four breeds of swine: purebred and crossbred litters. J. Anim. Sci. 59:941-947.
- Tomes, G. L. and H. E. Nielsen. 1982. Factors affecting reproductive efficiency of the breeding herd. In: Control of Pig Reproduction (Ed. D. J. A. Cole and G. R. Forcroft). pp. 527-539.
- The effects of breed, season and parity on the reproductive performance of pigs reared under hot and humid environments pp.1573-7438, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1705-5