- Volume 16 Issue 12
The study was undertaken to see the effect of elevated feeding during pre-partum or pre- as well as post-partum period on the productive and reproductive performance of crossbred cows. The experiment lasted for 60 d pre-partum to 120 d post-partum. Eighteen dry pregnant crossbred cows divided into three equal groups were fed either as per NRC feeding standard (C) or 20% above NRC during 60 d pre-partum (
Elevated Feeding;Pre-partum;Post-partum;Milk Production;Reproduction;Cows
- Kale, M. M. and O. S. Tomer. 1991. Effect of pre-partum feeding on the post-partum performance of crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt. 7:1-7.
- Kunz, P. L., J. W. Blum, I. C. Hart, H. Bichet and J. Landis. 1985. Effect of different energy intakes before and after calving on food intake, performance and blood hormones and metabolites in dairy cows. Anim. Prod. 40:219-31. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100025320
- Prasad, S. and O. S. Tomar. 1995a. Effect of pre-partum level of conditioning on body condition score and related physical parameters in crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt. 11:135-38.
- Prasad, S. and O. S. Tomar. 1995b. Effect of pre-partum level of conditioning of certain calving and related parameters in crossbred cows. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt. 11:139-42.
- Qureshi, M. S. 1995. Conventional buffalo farming system in North-West Frontier Province of Pakistan. Buffalo Bulletin 34:38-41.
- Robertson, J. A. and P. J. VanSoest. 1981. The detergent system of analysis and its application to human food. In: The Analysis of Dietary Fibre in Food, (Ed. W. P. T. James and O. Theander. Marcel Decker) Inc., New York. 123-58.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1968. Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH Publishing Company, Mumbai.
- Crampton, E. W. and L. A. Maynard. 1938. The relation of cellulose and lignin content to the nutritive value of animal feeds. J. Nutr. 16:383-95.
- Hill, F. N. and D. L. Anderson. 1958. Comparison of metabolizable energy and productive energy determination with growing chicks. J. Nutr. 64:587-603.
- Little, W. and R. D. Harrison. 1981. Effect of different rates of live weight gain during rearing on the performance of Friesian heifers in their first lactation. Anim. Prod. 32:362.
- Yadava, R. K., H. R. Conrad and L. O. Gilmore. 1976. Effect of body condition at calving on reproductive performance in dairy cows. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 29:139-40.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official and Agricultural Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Flaherty, M. 1993. A nutrition boost right before calving. Dairy Herd Mgmt. 30:36-39.
- McClure, T. J. 1965. A nutritional cause of low non-return rates in dairy herds. Aust. Vet. J. 41:119-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1965.tb08825.x
- Holter, J. B., M. J. Slotnick, H. H. Hayes, C. K. Bozak, W. E. Urban and McGilliard. 1990. Effect of pre-partum dietary energy on condition score, post-partum energy, nitrogen partition and lactation production responses. J. Dairy Sci. 73:3502-11.
- Gargantini, O. F., A. C. G. Castro and J. A. Carcia. 1984. Study of three periods of pre-partum feeding in relation to the performance of dairy cows. Dairy Sci. Abstr. 47:4565.
- Garnsworthy, P. C. and J. H. Topps. 1982. The effect of body condition of dairy cows at calving on their food intake and performance when given complete diets. Anim. Prod. 35:113-19. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100000878
- Johnson, C. L. 1979. Effect of level and frequency of concentrate feeding on the performance of dairy cows of different yield potentials. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 92:743-51. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600053983
- National Research Council. 1989. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 6th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC., USA.
- Sasser, R. G., R. J. Williams, R. C. Bull, C. A. Ruder and D. G. Falh. 1988. Post-partum reproductive performance crude; protein restricted beef cows: Return to estrus and conception. J. Anim. Sci. 60:3033.
- Khan, M. A. A., M. N. Islam, M. A. S. Khan and M. A. Akbar. 2002. Effect of restricted and ad. libitum feeding during late pregnancy on the performance of crossbred cows and their calves. Asian Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1267-72.
- Khatkar, M. S., A. K. Jain and O. S. Parmar. 1992. Body weight changes after calving and their relationship with production and service period in crossbred cows. SARAS J. Livestock and Poult. Prod. 8:30-35.
- Lodge, G. A., L. J. Fisher and J. R. Lassard. 1975. Influence of pre-partum feed intake on performance of cows fed ad. libitum during lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 58:697-702.
- Treacher, R. J., I. M. Reid and S. J. Roberts. 1986. Effect of body condition at calving on the health and performance of dairy cows. Anim. Prod. 43:1-6.
- Chicco, C. F., E. Shultz, V. Bodisco and A. Shultz. 1982. Effects of pre- and post-partum feeding levels on body weight changes and milk production of Holstein and Brown-swiss cows tropical conditions. Nutr. Abstr. Review 53:3137.
- Yadava, R. K., L. O. Gilmore and H. R. Conard. 1974. The effect of body condition at calving on milk production in dairy cow. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 27:197-99.
- Qureshi, M. S., G. Habib, H. A. Samad, M. M. Siddiqui, N. Ahmad and M. Syed. 2002. Reproduction-nutrition relationship in dairy buffaloes. 1. Effect of intake of protein, energy and blood metabolite levels. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:330-39.
- Dystocia in beef heifers: A review of genetic and nutritional influences vol.54, pp.6, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1080/00480169.2006.36708