- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study between Swamp Buffalo and Native Cattle in Feed Digestibility and Potential Transfer of Buffalo Rumen Digesta into Cattle
- Wanapat, M. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Nontaso, N. (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Yuangklang, C. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wora-anu, S. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Ngarmsang, A. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Wachirapakorn, C. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University) ;
- Rowlinson, P. (Department of Agriculture, University of Newcastle)
- Received : 2002.07.22
- Accepted : 2003.01.02
- Published : 2003.04.01
Rumen ecology plays an important role in the fermentation process and in providing end-products for ruminants. These studies were carried out to investigate variations in rumen factors namely pH,
Swamp Buffalo;Beef Cattle;Rumen Ecology;Rumen Microorganisms;Manipulation;Digesta Transfer;Rice Straw
- Nguyen V. T. and T. R. Preston. 1999. Rumen environment and feed degradability in swamp buffaloes fed different supplements. Livestock Res for Rural Dev. 11(3): http://www.Cipav.Org.co/lrrd/lrrd 11/3/thu 113.htm
- Wanapat, M. and O. Pimpa. 1999. Effect of ruminal NH3-N levels on ruminal fermentation purine derivatives, digestibility and rice straw intake in swamp buffaloes. Asian-Aust J. Anim. Sci. 12:904-907.
- Wattanachant, C., M. Wanapat, S. Sarangbin, S. Chanthai and C. Wachirap; akorn. 1990. A Comparative stydy on rumen cellulolytic bacteria in swamp buffaloes and cattlel. In Proc. 28th Annual Conference Kasetsart University, Bangkok.
- Wanapat, M. 2000. Rumen Manipulation to Increase the Efficient use Local Feed Resources and Productivity of Ruminants in the Tropics. In:Proc. the 9th AAAP Congress. (Eds. G. M. Stone), July 3-7, 2000. University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. Asian-Aus J. Anim. Sci. 13:59-67.
- Boniface, A. N., R. M. Murray and J. P. Hogan. 1986. Optimum level of ammonia in the rumen liquor of cattle fed tropical pasture hay. In: Proc. Aust. Soc. Anim. Proc. 16:151-154.
- Kanjanapruthipong and R. A. Leng. 1998. The effects of dietary urea on microbial populations in the rumen of sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11:661-667.
- Wanapat, M. 1989, Comparative aspects of digestive physiology and nutrition in buffaloes and cattle. In: Proc. Ruminant Physiology and Nutrition in Asia. (Eds. C. Devendra and E. Imaizumi) Jap. Soc. Zootech. Sci. Sendai, pp. 27-43.
- Devendra, C. 1985. Comparative nitrogen utilization in Malaysia Swamp buffaloes and Kedah-Kelanton cattle. In: Proc. The 3 rd AAAP Animal science Congress, Seoulk, Korea, Vol 2:873-875.
- Hungate, R. E. 1969. A roll tube method for cultivation of strict anaerobes. In: Methods in Microbiology, edited by J. R. Norris and D. W. Ribbons. New York: Academic. 313:117.
- Kennedy, P. M. and J. P. Hogan. 1994. Digestion and metabolism in buffaloes and cattle: are there consistent diffences. In: Proc. The 1st Asian buffalo Association Congress. (Eds. M. Wanapat and K. Sommart), Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, W. Sripuek, T. Puramongkol, A. Petlum, U. Boontao, C. Wachirapakorn and K. Sommart. 1999. Cassava Hay: an Important On-Farm Feed for Ruminants. In: Tannins in Livestock and Human Nutrition. (Eds. J. D. Brooker), May 31 June-2 July, 1999, Adelaide, Australia.
- Wanapat, M., O. Pimpa, A. Petlum and C. Wachirapakorn. 2000a. Participation scheme of small holder dairy farmers in the northeast Thailand on improveing feeding systems. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:600-604. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.600
- Chanthai, S., M. Wanapat and C. Wachirapakorn. 1989. Rumen ammonia-N and Volatile fatty acid concentrations in cattle and buffalo given rice straw-based diets. In: Proc. 7th AFAR Int. Workshop. (Eds. R. Dixon), IDPD, Canberra, Australia.
- Bromner, J. M. and D. R. Keeney. 1965. Steam distillation methods of determination of ammonium, nitrate and nitrite. Anal. Chem. Acta. 32:485. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(00)88973-4
- Wanapat, M., A. Ngarmsang, S. Korkhuntot, N. Nontaso, C. Wachirapakorn, G. Beakes and P. Rowlinson. 2000c. A comparative study on the rumen microbial population of cattle and swamp buffalo raised under traditional village conditions in the northeast of Thailand. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (7):918-921. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.918
- Wanapat,M., K Sommart., C. Wachirapakorn, S. Uriyapongson, and C.Wattanachant. 1994. Recent advances in swamp buffalo nutrition and feeding. In: Proc.The 1st Asian Buffalo Association Congress. (Eds. M. Wanapat and K.Sommart), Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, January 17-21, 1994, Thailand.
- Martin, S. A. 1998. Manipulation of ruminal fermentation with organic acids: A reviews. J. Anim. Sci. 76:3123-3132.
- Wanapat, M., T. Puramongkon and W. Siphuak. 2000b. Feeding of cassava hay for lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:478-482. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.478
$\Phi$rskov, E. R. and H. J. Flint. 1989. Manipulation of rumen microbes or feed resources as methods of improving feed utilization. In: Proc. The Biotechnology in Livestock in Developing Countries. (Ed. A.G. Hunter). Rkitchie of Edinburgh Ltd. United Kingdom.
- Perdok, H. B. and R. A. Leng. 1989. Effect of supplementation with protein meal on the growth of cattle given a basal diet of untreated ammoniated rice straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 3:269.
- SAS. 1985. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 5 Edition. SAS. Inst. Cary, N.C.
- Samuel, M., S. Sagathewan, J. Thomas and G. Mathen. 1997. An HPLC method for estimation of vollatile fatty acids of ruminal fluid. Indain. J. Anim. Sci. 67:805.
- Rumen fermentation and degradability in buffalo and cattle using the in vitro gas production technique vol.92, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2007.00799.x
- Eating and rumination behaviour in Brahman grade cattle and crossbred water buffalo fed on high roughage diet vol.81, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00784.x
- Improving rumen ecology and microbial population by dried rumen digesta in beef cattle vol.47, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0809-4
- OS14, newly isolated from the rumen of swamp buffalo pp.13443941, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12927
- Herbal additives influence in vitro fermentative attributes and methanogenesis differently in cattle and buffalo vol.58, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15624