- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Isolation of Bacillus sp. as a Volatile Sulfur-degrading Bacterium and Its Application to Reduce the Fecal Odor of Pig
- Ushida, Kazunari (Laboratory of Animal Science, Kyoto Prefectural University) ;
- Hashizume, Kenta (Laboratory of Animal Science, Kyoto Prefectural University) ;
- Miyazaki, Kohji (Laboratory of Animal Science, Kyoto Prefectural University) ;
- Kojima, Yoichi (Laboratory of Animal Science, Kyoto Prefectural University) ;
- Takakuwa, Susumu (Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology, Department of Education, Kyoto Women's College)
- Received : 2002.05.14
- Accepted : 2003.03.04
- Published : 2003.12.01
Fecal malodor is an acute environmental issue to be solved for the intensive animal agriculture in Japan. Among these substances volatile sulfur such as hydrogen sulfide (HS), methanethiol, and dimethyl sulfide, and dimethyl disulfide are the ones most strictly controlled in the Japanese national regulations. In this experiment, we have screened a range of standard strains of chemoheterotrophic bacteria and of the presently isolated soil bacteria for their capacity to decompose HS. We have demonstrated that Comamonas testosteroni
Bacillus sp. Comamonas testosteroni;Hydrogen Sulfide;Malodor;Pig Feces
Supported by : Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research
- Cho, K. S., M. Hirai and M. Shoda. 1992. Degradation of hydrogen sulfide by Xanthomonas sp. strain DY44 isolated from peat. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 58:1183-1189.
- Fukumori, Y. and T. Yamanaka. 1979. Flavocytochrome c of Chromatium vinosum, some enzymatic properties and subunit structure. J. Biochem. 85:1405-1414.
- Hamaguchi, M. and Y. Kawahara. 1997. Sho datu shuuzaihou no jissirei (in Japanese) In Saishin bodasshu gijutu.shusei, ed. by Ishiguro, T., NTS. Tokyo, pp.515-525.
- Kanagawa, T. and E. Mikami. 1989. Removal of methanethiol, deimethyl sulfide, dimethyl disulfide, and hydrogen sulfide from contaminated air by ThiBacillus thioparus TK-m. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55:555-558.
- Ongcharit, C., K. L. Sublette and Y. T. Shah. 1991. Oxidation of hydrogen sulfide by flocculated ThioBacillus denitrificans in a continuous culture. Biotech. Bioeng. 37:497-504.
- Sato, H., S. Takakuwa, T. Kimura, H. Shimomoto, T. Hirose and Y. Moriyama. 1999. Isolation from soil of aerobic chemoheterotrophic bacteria capable of decomposing methanethiol and hydrogen sulfide. Microb. Environ. 14:131-137.
- Ushida, K., N. Ohshima, A. Tanimura, K. Miyazaki, Y. Kojima, and S. Takakuwa. 2001. Evaluation of methanethiol and hydrogen sulfide production bu standard strains of intestinal bacteria and isolates from pig feces. Biosci. Microflora. 20: 53-57
- Ishiguro, T. 1997. Akushu kisei no sikumi (in Japanese) In Saishin bodasshu gijutu.shusei (Ed. T. Ishiguro, NTS. Tokyo), pp.19-40.
- Ushida, K., S. Fukusada and Y. Kojima. 1998. Effect of pH on dissimilatory sulfate reduction by porcine cecal microflora. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn.) 69:571-575.
- Zhang, L., M. Hirai, and M. Shoda. 1991. Removal characteristics of dimethyl sulfide, methanethiol, and hydrogen sulfide by Hyphomicrobium sp. I55 isolated from peat biofilter. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 72:392-396.
- Arakawa, T., Y. Ishikawa and K. Ushida. 2000. Volatile sulfur production by pig cecal bacteria in batch culture and screening inhibitors of sulfate-reducing bacteria. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 46:159-164.
- Kusai, K. and T. Yamanaka. 1973. The oxidation mechanisms of thiosulphate and sulphide in Chlorobium thiosulphatophilum. Biochim. Biophy. Acta. 325:304-314.
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rowebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall. 1951. J. Biol. Chem. 233:1407.
- Nakada, Y. and Y. Ohta. 1997. Hydrogen sulfide removal by a deodorant bacterium Bacillus sp. BN53-1 (In Japanese). Seibutsu Kogaku Kaishi. 75:425-431.
- Effects of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens as a probiotic strain on growth performance, cecal microflora, and fecal noxious gas emissions of broiler chickens vol.93, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03718
- The Effect of Bacillus-based Feed Additive on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Fecal Gas Emission, and Pen Cleanup Characteristics of Growing-finishing Pigs vol.28, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0066
- Characteristic study and isolation of Bacillus subtilis SRCM 101269 for application of cow manure vol.52, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2016.6001
- complex on growth performance and faecal noxious gas emissions in growing-finishing pigs pp.00225142, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.9333