- Volume 16 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feeding Transgenic Cottonseed vis-à-vis Non-transgenic Cottonseed on Haematobiochemical Constituents in Lactating Murrah Buffaloes
Singh, Maha;Tiwari, D.P.;Kumar, Anil;Kumar, M. Ravi
- 투고 : 2003.03.14
- 심사 : 2003.06.20
- 발행 : 2003.12.01
An experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of feeding transgenic cottonseed (Bt.) vis-a-vis non-transgenic (non-Bt.) cottonseed on blood biochemical constituents in lactating Murrah buffaloes. Twenty Murrah buffaloes in mid-lactation were divided into 2 groups of 10 each. Animals of group I were fed with 39.5% non-transgenic cottonseed in concentrate mixture while the same percentage of transgenic (Bt.) cottonseed was included in the concentrate mixture fed to the animals of group II. Animals of both groups were fed with concentrate mixture to support their milk production requirements. Each buffalo was also offered 20 kg mixed green fodder (oats and berseem) and wheat straw ad libitum. The experimental feeding trial lasted for 35 days. There was no significant difference in the dry matter intake between the two groups of buffaloes. All the buffaloes gained body weight, however, the differences were non significant. Total erythrocyte count, hemoglobin content and packed cell volume were
Transgenic Cottonseed;Bt. Protein;Lactating Murrah Buffaloes;Haematobiochemical Constituents;Bacillus thuringiensis
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Va, USA.
- Allah, A. A. M. and M. A. Fadali. 1996. Clinicohaematological changes in cattle fed clover and cottonseed meal. Assuit Vet. Med. J. 25(69):123-131.
- Colin-Negrete, J., H. E. Kiesling, T. T. Ross and J. F. Smith. 1996. Effect of whole cottonseed on serum constituents, fragility of erythrocyte cells and reproduction of growing Holstein heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 79:2016-2023.
- Coppo, J. A., S. H. Scorza and N. B. Coppo. 1995. Biochemical profiles in cattle given supplements of cottonseed oilmeal in Argentina. Revista-Cubana-de-Ciencias-Veterinarias. 24(1):26-32.
- Coppock, C. E., J. K. Lanham and J. J. Horner. 1987. A review of the nutritive value and utilization of whole cottonseed, cottonseed meal and associated by products by dairy cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 18:89-129.
- Jain, N. C. 1986. Schalm’s Veterinary Haematology. 4th edn. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Oser, B. L. 1979. Hawk’s Physiological Chemistry. 14th edn. Tata Mcgrah Hill Publishing Co. Limited, Bombay.
- Singh, M., D. P. Tiwari and A. Kumar. 2002. Effect of Feeding transgenic cottonseed on nutrients utilization, milk production and its composition in lactating Murrah buffaloes.
- Subramanian, V. 2000. Personal communication. Maharastra Hybrid Seeds Company Limited. Mandal Toopran, Distt. Medak, Kallakal (Andhra Pradesh).
- Barraza, M. L., C. E. Coppock, K. N. Brooks, D. L. Wilks, R. G. Saunders and G. W. Latimer. 1991. Iron sulfate and feed pelleting to detoxify free gossypol in cottonseed diets for dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3457-3467.
- Tiwari, D. P. and B. R. Patle. 1983. Utilization of Mahua seed cake by lactating buffaloes. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 36:394-401.
- Kurar, C. K. and V. D. Mudgal. 1980. Protein requirements of Murrarh buffaloes in early stage of lactation. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 33:443.
- Buffalo J. Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1980. Statistical Methods. 7th Edn. The Iowa State University Press, Ames. Iowa.
- Sims, S. R. and S. A. Berberich. 1996. Bacillus thuringeinsis Cry I Ac protein levels in raw and processed seed of transgenic cotton: Determination using insect bioassay and ELISA. J. Ecom. Entomol. 89:248-251.
- Tiwari, D. P. and B. R. Patle. 1985. Milk yield and composition of milk of buffaloes fed on rations containing processed Mahua (Madhuca indica) seed cake. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Magmt. 1(1):28-33.
- Lindsey, T. D., G. E. Hawkins and L. D. Gauthrie. 1980. Physiological responses of lactating cows to gossypol from cottonseed meal rations. J. Dairy Sci. 63(4):562-573.
- Hawkins, G. E., K. A. Cummins, M. Silverio and J. J. Jilak. 1985. Physiological effects of all cottonseed in the diet of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 68:2608.
- Chauhan, R. S. 1995. Veterinary Clinical and Laboratory Diagnosis. Ist edn. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher (P) Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient Requirement of Ruminants in Developing Countries. International Feedstuffs Institute, Utah Agricultural Experiment Station, Utah State Agricultural University, Logan, Utah, USA.
- Dutta, K. K. and R. K. S. Dogra. 1998. A 90 days feeding study with cottonseed in goats. Final Report, Industrial Toxicological Research Institute, Lucknow, India.
- Mudgal, V. D. and J. A. Mulla. 1985. Milk production and feed conversion efficiency as influenced by feeding of decorticated cottonseed cake expeller or extraction in ration of buffalo. Asian J. Dairy Res. 4(3):143-149.
- Animal nutrition with feeds from genetically modified plants vol.59, pp.1, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390512331342368
- Nutritional evaluation of transgenic cottonseed in the ration of lactating dairy cows vol.42, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9439-z
- Haematology, blood biochemistry and tissue histopathology of lambs maintained on diets containing an insect controlling protein (Cry1Ac) in Bt-cottonseed vol.95, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2010.01081.x
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Indian Council of Agricultural Research