- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gestational Status on Apparent Absorption and Retention of Copper and Zinc in Mature Angus Cows and Suffolk Ewes
- Vierboom, M.M. (Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University) ;
- Engle, T.E. (Department of Animal Sciences, Colorado State University) ;
- Kimberling, C.V. (Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Colorado State University)
- Received : 2002.08.02
- Accepted : 2002.12.20
- Published : 2003.04.01
Six mature purebred Angus cows (
- Mills, C. F. 1980. In '3rd Annual International Mineral's Conference', Orlando, FL. p. 47
- Swanson, C. A. and J. C. King. 1982. Zinc utilization in pregnant and non-pregnant women fed controlled diets providing the zinc RDA. J. Nutr. 112:697-707. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/112.4.697
- SAS. 1988. SAS/STAT User's Guide (Release 6.01). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Brenmer, I., B. W. Young and C. F. Mills. 1976. Protective effects of zinc supplementation against copper toxicosis in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 36:551-561. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19760108
- Mehra, R. K. and I. Bremner. 1984. Species differences in the occurrence of copper-metallothionein in particulate fractions of the liver of copper-loaded animals. Biochem. J. 219:539-546. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2190539
- Hansard, S. L., A. S. Mohammed and J. W. Turner. 1968. Gestation age effects upon maternal-fetal zinc utilization in the bovine. J. Anim. Sci. 27:1097-1102. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.2741097x
- Engle, T. E., C. F. Nockels, K. L. Hossner, C. V. Kimberling, R. E. Toombs, R. S. Temm, D. L. Weaber and A. B. Johnson. 1997. Marginal zinc deficiency affects biochemical and physiological parameters in beef heifer calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 10:471-477.
- Underwood, E. J. 1977. Trace Elements in Human and Animal Nutrition, 4th ed., Academic Press, New York. p. 545
- Feldsman, R. J., M. B. Wise, R. W. Harvey and E. R. Barrick. 1973. Effect of added dietary levels on copper sulfate and an antibiotic on performance and certain blood constituents in calves. J. Anim. Sci. 36:157-166. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1973.361157x
- Underwood, E. J. and N. F. Suttle. 1999. In: The Mineral Nutrition of Livestock 3rd Ed. CABI Publishing, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, UK.
- Adamson, A. H., D. A. Valks, M. A. Appleton and W. B. Shaw. 1969. Copper toxicity in housed lambs. Vet. Rec. 85:368-369. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.85.13.368
- Pryor, W. J. 1964. The distribution of copper in bovine and ovine fetuses, with reference to their age and maternal liver copper concentrations. Res. Vet. Sci. 5:123-137.
- Turnland, J. R., C. A. Swanson and J. C. King. 1983. Copper absorption and retention in pregnant women fed diets based on animal and plant proteins. J. Nutr. 113:2346-2352. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/113.11.2346
- Effects of zilpaterol hydrochloride and zinc methionine on growth performance and carcass characteristics of beef bulls vol.95, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas-2014-175