- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Role of Magnesium and Calcium in Eggshell Formation in Tsaiya Ducks and Leghorn Hens
- Shen, T.F. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University) ;
- Chen, W.L. (Department of Animal Science, National Taiwan University)
- Published : 2003.02.01
Tsaiya ducks and Leghorn hens are the two major laying birds raised in Taiwan. They are all excellent egg layers. Tsaiya ducks are small in body size (1.3 kg) with bigger egg weight (65 g) and stronger eggshell breaking strength than eggs from hens. The eggshell consists mainly of calcium carbonate, hence calcium plays an important role in the eggshell formation. Magnesium is also present in eggshell in small amounts, which may have effect on maintaining eggshell quality. In comparison studies, it was shown that the duck eggshells contained higher calcium and lower magnesium content than chicken eggshells. The eggshell magnesium content was not affected by the dietary magnesium levels (690-2380 ppm) in ducks, but in hens, it increased linearly with dietary magnesium levels. The palisade layer (
Calcium;Magnesium;Eggshell;Tsaiya Duck;Leghorn Hen
- Chen, W. L. and T. F. Shen. 1989. Comparative studies on the utilization of calcium between laying Tsaiya duck and Leghorn hen. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 2:67-75. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1989.67
- Holder, D. P. and D. M. Huntley. 1978. Influence of added manganese, magnesium, zinc and calcium level on eggshell quality. Poult. Sci. 57:1629-1634. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0571629
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th ed. National Academy of Science, Washington D.C., USA.
- Solomon, S. E. 1991. Egg and eggshell quality. Wolfe Publishing Ltd., London, England.
- Wei, H. W. and T. F. Shen. 1991. The effects of dietary calcium level on the activity of carbonic anhydrase in shell gland mucosa of laying Tsaiya duck and Leghorn hen. J. Agr. Assoc. China. 156:103-114.
- Attech, J. O. and S. Leeson. 1983. Influence of increasing dietary calcium and magnesium levels on performance, mineral metabolism, and egg mineral content of laying hens. Poult. Sci. 62: 1261-1268. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0621261
- Ding, S. T. and T. F. Shen. 1992. The effect of dietary magnesium level on the eggshell quality in laying Tsaiya duck and Leghorn hen. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 5:217- 224. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1992.217
- Chen, W. L. 2000. Comparisons of magnesium deposition models in eggshells and physiological characteristics in shell glands between laying Tsaiya ducks and Leghorn hens. Ph.D. Thesis, Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Waddell, A. L., R. G. Board, V. D. Scott and S. G. Tullett. 1989. Influence of dietary magnesium content on laying performance and egg shell magnesium content in domestic hen. Brit. Poult. Sci. 30: 865-876. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668908417213
- Brooks, D. J. and H. P. Hale. 1955. Strength of the shell of the hen's egg. Nature 175: 848-849. https://doi.org/10.1038/175848a0
- Chen, W. L. and T. F. Shen. 2001. Changes of magnesium and calcium contents and adenosine triphosphatase activity of shell gland mucosa during eggshell formation in brown Tsaiya ducks and white Leghorns. Poult. Sci. 80: supplement 1, p.482.
- Stafford, J. E. H. and N. A. Edwards. 1973. Magnesium metabolism in the laying fowl. Brit. Poult. Sci. 14: 137-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071667308416006
- Dennis, J. E., S. Q. Xiao and M. Agarwal. 1996. Microstructure of matrix and mineral components of eggshells from white Leghorn chickens (Gallus gallus). J. Morphology 228: 287-306. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4687(199606)228:3<287::AID-JMOR2>3.0.CO;2-#
- Waddell, A. L., R. G. Board, V. D. Scott and S. G. Tullett. 1991. Role of magnesium in egg shell formation in the domestic hen. Brit. Poult. Sci. 32: 853-864. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669108417410
- Chen, W. L. and T. F. Shen. 2000. Comparisons of ultrastructure and crystal structure in eggshells between brown Tsaiya duck and white Leghorn hen. J. Chinese Soc. Anim. Sci. 29:345-355.
- Agriculture Statistics Yearbook. 2000. Council of Agriculture, Republic of China. pp.144-148.