- Volume 16 Issue 8
This study was designed to examine the effect of microencapsulated iron-fortified Cheddar cheese and L-ascorbic acid as a bioavailable helper of iron on chemical and sensory aspects. Coating material was PGMS, and ferric ammonium sulfate and Lascorbic acid were selected as core materials. The highest efficiency of microencapsulation of iron and L-ascorbic acid were 72 and 94%, respectively, with 5:1:50 ratio (w/w/v) as coating to core material to distilled water. TBA absorbance was significantly lower in microencapsulated treatments than those in uncapsulated treatments during ripening. The productions of short-chain free fatty acid and neutral volatile compound were not significantly different among treatments during ripening periods. In sensory aspects, bitterness, astrigency and sourness were higher in Cheddar cheese fortified with microencapsulated iron and uncapsulated L-ascorbic acid than others. The present study indicated that fortification of iron as well as L-ascorbic acid did not show any defect problem to Cheddar cheese, and suggested the possibility of iron fortification of Cheddar cheese.
Cheddar Cheese;Microencapsulated Iron;PGMS;L-ascorbic acid
- AOAC. Official methods of Analysis, 15th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists: Arlington, VA, U.S.A. 1990; Method 948. 12, pp. 840-844.
- Basatte, R. and G. Ward. 1975. Measuing part per billion of volatile materials in milk. J. Dairy Sci. 58:428-430. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84583-8
- Gaucheron, F. 2000. Iron fortification in dairy industry. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 11:403-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(01)00032-2
- Hegenauer, J., P. Saltman, D. Ludwig, L. Ripley and P. Bajo.1979. Effects of supplemental iron and copper on lipid oxidation in milk. 1. Comparison of metal complexes in emulsified and homogenized milk. J. Agric. Food Chem. 27(4):860-867. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60224a048
- Hekmat, S. and D. J. McMahon. 1997. Manufacture and quality of iron-fortified yogurt, J. Dairy Sci. 80:3114-3122. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76282-9
Kwak, H. S., M. R. Ihm and J. Ahn. 2001. Microencapsulation of
$\beta$-galactosidase with fatty acid esters. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1576-1582. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74590-0
- Wendorff. W. L. 1981. Current developments in the use of natural smoke flavors in cheese. Proceedings from the second biennial Marschall international cheese conference. Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 22:149-154.
- Siggelkow, M. A. 1981. The continual process in soft cheese making. Proceedings from the second biennial Marschall international cheese conference. Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. 16:102-106.
- Kwak, H. S., I. J. Jeon. and J. Park. 1990. Effects of food grade porcine pancreatic lipase on the production of short-chain fatty acids and its contribution. Kor. J. Food Sci. and Technol. 22:248-254.
- Braun, S. D. and N. F. Olson. 1986. Encapsulation of proteins and peptides In milk fat: Encapsulation efficiency and temperature and freezing stability. J. Microencapsulation. 3(2): 115-126. https://doi.org/10.3109/02652048609031566
- Lynch, S. R. and J. D. Cook. 1980. Interaction of vitamin C and iron. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 365:32-44.
- Magee, E. L. Jr. and N. F. Olson. 1981b. Microencapsulation of cheese ripening systems: Stability of microcapsules. J. Dairy Sci. 64:611-615. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(81)82619-7
- Woestyne, M. V., B. Bruyneel, M. Mergeay and W. Verstraeta. 1991. The Fe chelator proferrorosamine A is essential for the siderophore-mediated uptake of iron by Psuedomonas fluorescences. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57:949.
- Jackson, L. S. and K. Lee. 1991. Microencapsulated iron for food fortification. J. Food Sci. 56:1047-1050. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb14638.x
- SAS 'Institute Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 6. 4th edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Kim, S. J., J. Ahn, J. S. Seok and H. S. Kwak. 2003. Microencapsulated iron for drink yogurt fortification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(4):581-587.
- Magee, E. L. Jr. and N. F. Olson. 1981a. Microencapsulation of cheese ripening systems: Formation of microcapsules. J. Dairy Sci. 64:600-610. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(81)82618-5
- Metzger, L. E. and V. V. Mistry. 1994. A new approach using homogenization of cream in the manufacture of reduced fat Cheddar cheese. I. Manufacture, composition, and yield. J. Dairy Sci. 77:3506-3515. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77292-1
- Bersen'eva, E. A., A. A. Inanoy, T. P. Sansonova, E. M. Chernova and N. I. Oragvelidze. 1990. Microencapsulated aromatizers for tea. Pishchevaya Paomyshlennost, USSR. 1:57-59.
- Korea Food Code. 2002. pp. 321-323.
- Blanc, B. 1981. Biochemical aspects of human milk comparison with bovine milk. World Rev. Nutr. Diet. 36:1.
- Lin, J. C. C. and I. J. Jeon. 1987. Effects of commercial food grade enzymes on fatty acid profiles in granular cheese. J. Food. Sci. 52:72-82.
- 1. Current awareness in flavour and fragrance vol.18, pp.6, 2003, doi:10.5713/ajas.2003.1205
- 2. Properties of cholesterol-reduced Camembert cheese made by crosslinked β-cyclodextrin vol.61, pp.4, 2008, doi:10.5713/ajas.2003.1205
- 3. Co-spray-drying of a heme iron ingredient to decrease its pro-oxidant effect in lipid-containing foods vol.118, pp.2, 2015, doi:10.5713/ajas.2003.1205
- 4. Evaluation of iron-fortified Feta cheese for physicochemical and sensory properties vol.70, pp.4, 2017, doi:10.5713/ajas.2003.1205
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Small & Medium Business Administration (SMBA)