- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Utilization of Oil Palm Frond - Based Diets for Beef and Dairy Production in Malaysia
- Zahar, M. Wan (Strategic Livestock Research Centre, Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI)) ;
- Hassan, O. Abu (Business Development Unit, MARDI) ;
- Wong, H.K. (Strategic Livestock Research Centre, Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI)) ;
- Liang, J.B. (Department of Animal Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Published : 2003.04.01
Oil palm fronds (OPF) are one of the main by-products of the oil palm industry in Malaysia. It contains about 38.5 % crude fibre with ME values of about 5.65 MJ/kg dry matter. OPF has great potential to be utilized as a roughage source or as a component in a complete feed for ruminant animals. This paper briefly reviews the availability of OPF in Malaysia and its importance in the local beef and dairy industry. About 26 million metric tonnes of OPF are produced on dry matter basis annually during pruning and replanting operations in the plantations. The nutritive value of OPF and studies to improve its feeding value is highlighted. The optimum level of inclusion for ruminant feeding is 30 % and improvement to intake and digestibility can be further enhanced with addition of other oil-palm by-products. Performances of beef and dairy cattle fed fresh OPF or as silage, pellets and cubes are shown. Good quality OPF silage can be produced without using any additive and the significant improvement on the rate of growth and milk yield were shown. With good formulations, OPF based diets can allow live weight gains of between 600-850 g/day and for local crossbred dairy animals, milk yield of about 11.1 to 20.3 liter/day can be obtained. Pellet based on ground OPF seemed to be less well utilized for ruminant feeding due to its smaller particle size. OPF based cubes which have longer particle size is more suitable for beef and dairy cattle. Long-term feeding of OPF based feeds have been shown to produce good quality carcasses, and the meat is safe for consumption.
Oil Palm Fronds;Beef Cattle;Dairy Cattle;Production;Silage;Cube;Pellet
- Abu Bakar, C., A. Aminah and P. Mansor. 1990. Effects of feeding ensiled maize stover on feed intake and live-weight changes in Sahiwal-Friesian weaners. Proc. 13th MSAP Ann. Conf. Malacca, March 1990.
- Abu Bakar., C., H. Kamaluddin, B. Selamat and I. Azahar. 2000. Maximizing intake of all oil palm (OPF) pellets by Sahiwal-Friesian replacement heifers reared under zero-grazing system of production. Proc. 22rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 29 May -1 June 2000, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, pp.139-140.
- Abu Hassan, O. 1995. Processing and utilization of oil-palm biomass (by-products) for animal feed. In. Proc. PORIM National Oil Palm Conference-Technologies in Plantation - The Way Forward, 11-12 July 1995, Bangi, Malaysia., pp. 197-207.
- Bengaly, K., J. B. Liang. Z. A. Jelan., Y. W. Ho. and H. K. Ong. 2000. Effect of steaming conditions on nutrient contents and degradability of oil palm frond. Proc. 22nd. MSAP Ann. Conf., 29 May - 1 June 2000, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, pp. 189-190.
- Chan, K. W., I. Watson and L. C. Kim. 1981. Use of oil-palm waste material for increased production. In Proc. Conf. on Soil Science sand Agricultural Development in Malaysia. Malaysian Soil Science Society, Kuala Lumpur, 213-241.
- Faridah, S., Y. Shirai, A. R. Gayah and A. Oshibe. 2002. Determination of heavy metal (Pb) in processed feed from oil palm frond by atomic absorption spectrometry. Proc. 24th. MSAP Conf, 219-23 May, Penang, Malaysia, pp. 83-84.
- Mohamad, H., H. A. Halim and T. M. Ahmad. 1986. Availability and potential of oil palm trunks and fronds up to year 2000. Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia (PORIM), Occasional paper no. 20, p. 17.
- Tung, C. M., J. B. Liang, S. L Tan, H. K. Ong and Z. A. Jelan. 2001. Effects of substituting grain concentrate with cassava fodder in oil palm frond based diets for cattle. Proc. 23rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 27-29 May 2001, Langkawi, Malaysia, pp. 34-5.
- Van Horn, H. H., S. P. Marshall, G. T. Floyd, E. A. Olaloku, C. J. Wilcox and J. W. Wing. 1980. J. Dairy Sci (63) (9), pp. 1465-1474. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)83106-7
- Wan Zahari, M., O. M. Ariff, I. Mohd Sukri, A. Oshibe and H. Hayakawa. 2000. Oil palm by-products and urea molasses mineral blocks as feed resources for buffaloes in Malaysia, Third Asean Buffalo Congress, Kandy, Sri Lanka, 2000.
- Abdalla, S. A., N. Abdullah, Y. W. Ho, J. B. Liang and A. B. Shamsudin. 2001. Degradation and rumen fermentation characteristics of frond silages in sheep. . Proc. 23rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 27 - 29 May 2001, Langkawi, Malaysia, pp. 180 -181.
- Abu Bakar, C., H. Kamaluddin, A. B. Shamsudin and M. Wan Zahari. 1999. Comparison of dried grated coconut meal and palm kernel meal as supplement to OPF pellets for intensive rearing of Sahiwal-Friesian heifers. National Congress on Animal Health and Production, 3-5 Sept. 1999, A' Farmosa Resort, Malacca, Malaysia. pp. 281-283.
- Abu Hassan, O. and M. Ishida. 1992. Status of utilization of selected fibrous crop residues and animal performance with special emphasis on processing of oil palm frond(OPF) for ruminant feed in Malaysia. JIRCAS, Trop. Agr. Res. Ser. 25, 134-143.
- Wan Zahari, M., M. S. Nor Ismail, I. Mohd Sukri., C. Abu Bakar., K. Subramaniam, A. Rashidah and I. Mohd Yunus. 2002. Long term feedng of complete feeds based on ground OPF in pellet or cube form to growing beef crossbred heifers. Proc. 24th. MSAP. Conf., 19-23 May 2002, Penang, Malaysia.
- Islam, M., I. Dahlan, Z. A. Jelan and M. A. Rajion. 1997. Rumen degradation of different fractions of oil palm frond. Proc. 19th MSAP Ann. Conf., 8-10 Sept 1997, Puteri Pan Pacific Hotel, Johore Bahru, Malaysia, pp. 147-149.
- Abdalla, S. A., N. Abdullah, J. B. Liang, A. B. Shamsudin and Y. W. Ho. 2000. Proc. 22th. MSAP Ann. Conf., pp. 173-174.
- Basery, M., P. Paengkoum, J. B. Liang and Z. A. Jelan. 2001. Effects of urea levels on intake and digestibility of steamed oil palm fronds in dairy goats. . Proc. 23rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 27-29 May 2001, Langkawi, Malaysia, pp. 144-145.
- Mohd. Sukri, I., O. Mohd. Ariff, O. Atil and D. Ahmad Khusairi. 1999. The effects of oil -palm by-products based rations on growth, carcass characteristics and quality of beef cattle in feedlot. MARDI - PORIM Project Report, p. 10.
- Oshibe, A., H. Ukawa, S. Sarmin, R. Arbain, I. Yunus and D. Mohd Jaafar. 2001. Change in physical property of oil palm frond (OPF) and energy consumption during pellet processing., Proc. 23rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 27-29 May 2001, Langkawi, Malaysia, pp. 76-77.
- Abu Hassan, A. R., M. Azizan, Ishida and C. Abu Bakar. 1993. Oil palm fronds silage as a roughage source for milk production in Sahiwal-Friesian cows', Proc. 16th MSAP Ann. Conf., Langkawi,
- Kawamoto, H. M., M. Wan Zahari and S. Oshio. 1999. Digestibility and voluntary intake of treated oil palm fronds. MARDI-JICA Project Report, 8, 1999.
- Abu Hassan, M. A., A. Rosnaini and K. W. Chang. 1991. Proc. 3rd. Vet. Assoc. Mal. Cong., pp. 63-66.
- Ishida, M., O. Abu Hassan, T. Nakui and F. Terada. 1994. Oil palm fronds as ruminant feed, Newsletter for International Collaboration, 2 (1), JIRCAS, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Tsukuba, Japan, 1994.
- Shamsudin, A. B., I. Mohd Sukri and R. Abdullah Sani. 1993. Feedlot performance of swamp buffalo fed with palm kernel cake and sago meal based ration. Proc. 16th. MSAP Ann. Conf., 8-9 June 1993, Langkawi, pp, 50-51.
- Oshibe., M. Wan Zahari, M. S. Nor Ismail, K. Subramaniam and H. Hayakawa. 2000. Effects of varying levels of oil palm fronds on intake and growth performance of beef cattle, Proc. 22nd MSAP Ann. Conf., Kota Kinabalu, 2000.
- Abu Bakar, C., S. M. Yusof, H. Hayakawa, M. Wan Zahari, I. Mohd Sukri and I. Shukri. 2001. Lactational responses of graded Sahiwal-Friesians fed pelleted OPF as complete feed. Proc. 23rd MSAP Ann. Conf., 27-29 May 2001, Langkawi, Malaysia, pp. 96-97.
- Mat Daham, M. D., M. Hamdan and K. Tanaka. 2002. Handling and Processing of Oil Palm Frond (OPF) For Animal Feed. National Conference on Agricultural & Food Mechanization 2001. Mutiara Hotel Kuala Lumpur. 30th-31st October 2001.
- Wong, H. K. and M. Wan Zahari. 1992. Characterization of oilpalm by-products as feed for ruminants. Proc. 15th. Annual Conference of the Malaysian Society of Animal Production, Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia, pp. 58-61.
- Preston., T. R. and R. A. Leng. 1987. Matching Ruminant Production Systems With Available Resources In The Tropics and Sub-Tropics, Armidale, Penambul, 1987.
- Hayakawa, H. and M. O. Ariff. 2000. OPF cubes as animal feed, a gift to the world from Malaysia, MARDI-JICA Project Report, 15.
- Ishida, M. and O. Abu Hassan. 1992. Effect of urea treatment level on nutritive value of oil palm fronds silage in Kedah-Kelantan bulls. Proc. 6th. AAAP Animal Science Congress, vol. 3, AHAT, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 68.
- Islam, I. Dahlan, Z. A. Jelan and M. A. Rajion. 1998. Effect of ensiling and pelleting on nutrient contents and degradability of oil palm (Elaeis guinensis) frond, Proc. 20th MSAP Ann. Conf,. Putrajaya, Malaysia.
- Jacq.) fronds on fatty acid profiles of goat muscles vol.96, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01206.x
- , Jacq.) Fronds Alters Rumen Protozoal Population and Ruminal Fermentation Pattern in Goats vol.14, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2015.3877
- Improving the feeding value of straws with Pleurotus ostreatus vol.55, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN14184
- Characterization of nanocellulose recovery from Elaeis guineensis frond for sustainable development vol.18, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10098-016-1191-2
- Effect of Oil Palm Fronds and Setaria sp. as Forages Plus Sakura Block on the Performance and Nutrient Digestibility of Kaur Cattle vol.16, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2017.200.206
- Effects of Using Different Levels of Oil Palm Fronds (FOPFS) Fermented with Phanerochaete chrysosporium plus Minerals (P, S and Mg) Instead of Napier Grass on Nutrient Consumption and the Growth Performance of Goats vol.16, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2017.612.617
- Oil palm frond as a sustainable and promising biomass source in Malaysia: A review vol.36, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12642
- Availability of Biomass Residues for Co-Firing in Peninsular Malaysia: Implications for Cost and GHG Emissions in the Electricity Sector vol.7, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/en7020804
- Environmental performance of bioethanol production from oil palm frond petiole sugars in an integrated palm biomass biorefinery vol.368, pp.1757-899X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/368/1/012004
- Potential of feeding beef cattle with whole corn crop silage and rice straw in Malaysia vol.50, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1538-2
- Effect of Using Fungal Treated Rice Straw in Sheep Diet on Nutrients Digestibility and Microbial Protein Synthesis vol.13, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajas.2019.1.7
- In vitro Evaluation of Oil Palm Fronds Fermented with Produren: A Durian Probiotic vol.18, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2019.186.192