- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Digestive Parameters in an Indigenous Fat-tailed and a Conventional Dorper Sheep Fed on Maize Stover Crop Residue
Mwenya, B.;Wollny, C.;Blummel, M.;Banda, J.;Takahashi, J.
- Received : 2002.08.20
- Accepted : 2002.10.05
- Published : 2003.04.01
The intake, dry matter (DM) digestibility, total mean retention time (TMRT) and weight changes were investigated in four fat tailed and four Dorper sheep fed on a maize stover crop residue. Animals were subjected to five dietary treatments, which were: 90, 135 and
Intake;Digestibility;Total Mean Retention Time;Sheep Breeds;Maize Stover
- Calhoun, M. C., B. C. Baldwin Jr. and M. Shelton. 1984. Dry matter intake and digestibility and some blood constituents of goats and sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 59(Supp.1) p: 440.
- Faichney, G. J. and S. G. Gharardi. 1986. Relationships between organic matter digestibility, dry matter intake and solute mean retention times in sheep given a ground and pelleted diet. J. Agric. Sci. 106:219-222. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063796
- Mwenya, B., M. Blummel and C. Wollny. 1995. Phenotypic differences in digestive parameters between indigenous Malawi sheep and Dorper males. Proceeding of the International symposium on Livestock Production through Animal Breeding and Genetics. May 10-11, 1995 Sheraton Hotel, Harare, Zimbabwe. pp. 104-106.
- Silanikove, N. 1986. Interrelationships between feed quality, digestibility, feed consumption and energy requirements in desert (Bedouin) and temperate (Saanen) goats. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2157-2162. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80648-8
- Uden, P., P. E. Colucci and P. J. van Soest. 1980. Investigation of chromium, cerium and cobalt as markers in digesta, rate of passage studies. J. Sci. Food Agric. 31:625-632. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740310702
- Van Soest, P. J. and J. B. Robertson. 1986. Analysis of forages and fibrous foods. Lab. Manual for Animal Science 613. Dept. Animal Sci., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Lismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in feces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- International Livestock Center for Africa (ILCA) 1990. Annual Report and Programme Highlights. p. 120.
- Owen, E., R. A. Washed, R. Alimon and W. El-Naiem. 1989. Strategies for feeding straw to small ruminants: Upgrading or generous feeding to allow selective feeding. In overcoming constrains to the efficient utilization of Agricultural byproducts as animal feed. Proceedings of the Fourth Annual workshop held at Mankon Station, Bameda, Cameroun, 20-27 October 1987. pp. 1-22.
- Mann, D. L., L. Goode and K. R. Pond. 1986. Voluntary intake, gain, digestibility, rate of passage and gastrointestinal tract fill in tropical and temperate breeds of sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 64: 880-886.
- De Jong, R. and J. van Bruchem. 1992. Utilization of crop residues and supplementary feeds in tropical developing countries. Commission of European community, final report. pp. 16-22.
- Mould, F. L., M. Saadullah, M. Hague, D. Davis, F. Dolberg and E. R. Orskov. 1982. Investigation of some of the physiological factors influencing intake and digestion of rice straw by native cattle in Bangladesh. Tropical Anim. Prod. 7:174-181.
- Weyreter, H., R. Heller, D. Dellow, M. Lechner-Doll and W. V. Engelhardt. 1987. Rumen fluid volume and retention time of digesta in an indigenous and a conventional breed of sheep fed a low quality, fibrous diet. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 58: 89-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1987.tb00151.x
- Lindberg, J. E. 1985. Retention time of labeled feed particles and water in the gut of sheep given hay and concentrate at maintenance. Br. J. Nutr. 53:559-567. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850065
- Theielemans, M. R., E. Francois, E. Bodart and A. Thewis. 1978. Measurement of gastrointestinal transit time in pigs by radiolanthanide and comparison with sheep. Ann. Biol. Anim. Biochem. Biophys. 18:237-247. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19780203
- Ndosa, J. E. M. 1980. A comparative study of roughage utilization by sheep and goats. Thesis, University of Readings (UK). p. 164.
- Orskov, E. R., I. Oiwang and G. W. Reid. 1988. A study on consistency of differences between cows in rumen outflow rate of fibrous particles and other substrates and consequences for digestibility and intake of roughage. Anim. Prod. 47:47-51.
- Owen, E. 1994. Cereal crop residues as feed for goats and sheep. Livestock Res. Rural Develop. 6:47-61.
- Methu, J. N., E. Owen, A. Abate and M. Scarr. 1996. Effect of level of offer of maize stover on the performance of lactating dairy cows. 23rd Tanzania Society of Animal Production Conference, Arusha, 21-23 August 1996.
- Washed, R. A., E. Owen, M. Naate and B. J. Hitosking. 1990. Feeding straw to small ruminants and the effect of amount offered on intake and selection of barley straw by goats and sheep. Anim. Prod. 51:283-289. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100005432
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemistry. Washington, DC.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1994. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 6. 6th edn. SAS Institute Inc. Cary NC.
- Osafo, E. L. K., E. Owen, J. Methu, A. Abate, J. C. Tanner and A. A. O. Aboud. 1997. Excess feeding of stovers from sorghum and maize for small ruminants and cattle in cereal based integrated farming systems in Africa. Second FAO Electronic Conference: Tropical Feeds Livestock Feed Resources within Integrated Farming Systems. pp. 1-10.
- Introduction of Dorper sheep into Australian rangelands: implications for production and natural resource management vol.36, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1071/RJ13034
Supported by : Germany Technical Cooperation