- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Incorporation of n-3 Long-chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids into Duck Egg Yolks
- Chen, Tian-Fwu (Department of Animal Farm, Taiwan Livestock Research Institute, Council of Agriculture) ;
- Hsu, Jenn-Chung (Department of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University)
- Received : 2002.08.26
- Accepted : 2002.11.21
- Published : 2003.04.01
The objective of this experiment was to determine the effects of different levels of refined cod liver oil (RCLO) on laying performance, n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids composition (n-3 PUFAs) and the organoleptic evaluation of duck egg yolks. A total of 180 30 wk old laying Tsaiya ducks, at the beginning of peak production, were allotted into 6 treatments with 3 replicates each. Ducks were fed one of the 6 experimental diets, supplemented with 2% tallow (control) and graded levels of RCLO at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6% to a corn-soybean diets, respectively, for 6 wks. All of the experimental diets were formulated to be both isocaloric and isonitrogenous. Feed and water were supplied ad libitum throughout the experimental period. The results indicated that the RCLO supplementation levels did not affect (p>0.05) egg production, egg mass, feed intake, feed efficiency or body weight change. Egg weight was the lightest when the ducks received the 6% RCLO diet. The eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, and total n-3 PUFAs contents in the yolks increased with increasing RCLO supplementation. The taste and general acceptability of the hard-boiled eggs were not significantly different among the treatments. However, a fishy flavor was much higher when ducks were fed diets supplemented with 5% and 6% RCLO diets.
Tsaiya Duck;Eicosapentaenoic Acid;Docosahexaenoic Acid;Fishy Flavor;Duck Egg
Supported by : National Research Council of Taiwan
- Barlow, S. M. and I. H. Pike. 1977. The role of fat in fish meal in pig and poultry nutrition. IAFMM Technical Bulletin No. 4.
- Cruickshank, E. M. 1934. Studies in fat metabolism in the fowl. I. The composition of the egg fat and depot fat of the fowl as affected by the ingestion of large amounts of different fat. Biochem. J. 28:965-977. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj0280965
- Leskanich, C. O. and R. C. Noble. 1997. Manipulation of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid composition of avian eggs and meat. World's Poult. Sci. J. 53:155-183. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19970015
- Harris, W. S. 1989. Fish oils and plasma lipid and lipoprotein metabolism in humans: A critical review. J. Lipid Res. 30:785-807.
- SAS. 1988. SAS User's Guide: Statistic, SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Bang, H. O., J. Dyerberg and H. M. Sinclair. 1980. The composition of the Eskimo food in north western Greenland. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 33:2657-2661.
- Oh, S. Y., C. H. H. Lin, J. Ryue and D. E. Bell. 1994. Eggs enriched with omega-3 fatty acids as a wholesome food. J. Applied Nutr. 46:14-25.
- Van Elswyk, M. E., B. M. Hargis, J. D. Williams and P. S. Hargis. 1994. Dietary menhaden oil contributes to hepatic lipidosis in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 73:653-662. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730653
- Whitehead, C. C., A. S. Bowman and H. D. Giffin. 1993. Regulation of plasma oestrogen by dietary fats in the laying hen: relationships with egg weight. Br. Poult. Sci. 34:999-1010. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669308417659
- Oh, S. Y., T. Hseih, J. Ryue and D. E. Bell. 1988. Effects of dietary eggs enriched in omega-3 fatty acids on plasma cholesterol, lipoprotein compositions and blood pressure in humans. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. J. 2:A425.
- Hulan, H. W. 1988. Omega-3 fatty acids levels of eggs and performance of SCWL layer genotype fed herring meal. Poult. Sci. 67(Suppl. 1):99(Abstr.).
- Adams, R. L., D. E. Prau, J. H. Lin and W. J. Stadelman. 1989. Introduction of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids into eggs. Poult. Sci. 68(Suppl. 1):166(Abstr.).
- Yu, M. M. and J. S. Sim. 1987. Biological incorporation of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids into chicken eggs. Poult. Sci. 66 (Suppl. 1):195(Abstr.).
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloan-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Hargis, P. S. and M. E. Van Elswyk. 1993. Manipulating the fatty acid composition of poultry meat and eggs for the health conscious consumer. World's Poult. Sci. J. 49:251-264. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19930023
- Huang, Z. B., H. Leibovitz, M. C. Lee and R. Millar. 1990. Effect of dietary fish oil on omega-3 fatty acid levels in chicken eggs and thigh flesh. J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:743-747. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00093a034
- Leaf, A. and P. C. Weber. 1988. Cardiovascular effects of n-3 fatty acids. N. Engl. J. Med. 318:549-577. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198803033180905
- Van Elswyk, M. E., L. S. Schake, B. M. Hargis and P. S. Hargis. 1991. Effects of dietary menhaden oil in serum lipid parameters and hepatic lipidosis in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 70 (Suppl. 1):122(Abstr.).
- Kinsella, J. E., B. Lokesh and R. A. Stone. 1990. Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and amelioration of cardiovascular disease: possible mechanism. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 52:1-28. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/52.1.1
- Simopoulos, A. P. 1991. Omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease and in growth and development. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 54:438-463. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/54.3.438
- Hargis, P. S. and M. E. Van Elswyk and B. M. Hargis. 1991. Dietary modification of yolk lipid with menhaden oil. Poult. Sci. J. 70:874-883. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0700874
- Land, W. E. M., P. E. Le Tellier, L. H. Rome and J. Y. Vanderhoek. 1973. Inhibition of prostaglandin biosynthesis. Adv. Bio. Sci. 9:15-28.
- Salem, N., A. P. Simopoulos, C. Galli, M. Lagarde and H. R. Knapp. 1996. Fatty acids and lipids from cell biology to human diseases. Proceedings of the 2nd international society for the study of fatty acids and lipids. Lipids 31:S1-S326. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02637042
- Van Elswyk, M. E., A. R. Sams and P. S. Hargis. 1992. Composition, functionality, and sensory evaluation of eggs from hens fed dietary menhaden oil. J. Food Sci. 57:342-344, 349. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05490.x
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis, 14th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- SR-21 as a source of docosahexaenoic acid: optimal growth and use as a dietary supplement for laying hens vol.57, pp.1, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1071/AR05099
- Original Research: Effect of various dietary fats on fatty acid profile in duck liver: Efficient conversion of short-chain to long-chain omega-3 fatty acids vol.242, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1535370216664031
- The effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid on the expression of lipogenic genes in broilers vol.58, pp.2, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1071/AR05399