- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationships of Circulating Concentrations of Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF)-I and -II to Egg Production and Growth Rate in the Korean Native Ogol Chicken
- Yun, J.S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Kang, W.J. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Seo, D.S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Lee, C.Y. (Department of International Livestock Industry, Chinju National University) ;
- Oh, S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Ko, Y. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University)
- Received : 2002.03.08
- Accepted : 2002.11.04
- Published : 2003.04.01
Insulin-like Growth Factors (IGFs) and IGF-binding protein act as intra-ovarian regulators that modulate the proliferation and differentiation of the granulosa and theca cells. Moreover, the IGF system is involved in metabolism by modulating the synthesis and degradation of glycogen and protein in animals. However the effect of the IGF system on egg productivity or body growth in KNOC has not been studied in depth. Therefore, this study was performed to investigate differences of serum IGFs and binding protein expressions between two groups showing high and low egg production or body weight and to elucidate the relationship of IGFs with egg productivity and body growth. KNOCs were divided into high and low groups depending on their egg productivity or body growth, and sera were collected every 10 wk from 20 till 60 wk. Serum IGF-I and -II concentration were measured by RIA using human and mouse antiserum and chicken standards. IGFBP was detected by Western ligand blotting. IGF-I concentrations were significantly greater in the high egg production group compared with those in the low egg production group (30 wk, p<0.01; 20 and 40 wk, p<0.05). Also, differences in IGF-II amounts between the two groups were detected at 60 wk (p<0.05). But IGFBPs in the low egg production group were more intense than that in the high egg production group through the egg laying period. The correlation between IGF-I concentration and number of egg production is significantly positive (20 wk, r=0.2729: p<0.05; 40 wk, r=0.3500: p<0.01), while IGF-II shows no correlation with egg productivity. In male KNOC, IGF-I and -II concentrations in the high body weight group are lower than that in the low body weight group. Body weight also shows a negative correlation with the serum IGF-II concentration in male chickens (20 wk, r=-0.5901: p<0.01). Consequently, we suggest that IGFs and binding protein are (in)directly involved in the egg productivity and body growth in KNOC.
IGF;IGFBPs;Egg Productivity;Body Growth;Korean Native Ogol Chicken
- Adashi, E. Y., C. E. Resnick, M. E. Svoboda and J. J. Van Wyk. 1986. Somatomedin-C as an amplifier of follicle-stimulating hormone action : enhanced accumulation of adenosine 3', 5'-monophosphate. Endcrinology 118:149-155. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-118-1-149
- Dauaghaday, W. H. and P. Rotwein. 1980. Insulin-like growth factor-I and -II. Peptide, messenger ribonucleic acid gene structure, serum, and tissue concentration. Endocr. Rev. 10:68-91. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-10-1-68
- Erickson, G. F., V. G. Garzo and D. A. Magoffin. 1989. Insulin-like growth factor-I regulates aromatase activity in human granulosa and granulosa luteal cells. J. Cln. Endocrinol. Metab. 69:716-724. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-69-4-716
- Furlanetto, R. W. 1980. The somatomedin C binding protein: evidence for a heterologus subunit structure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 51:12-19. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-51-1-12
- Jones, J. I. and D. R. Clemmons. 1995. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins; biological actions. Endocr. Rev. 16:2-34.
- Kang, W. J., J. S. Yun, D. S. Seo, K. C. Hong, and Y. Ko. 2001. Relationship among egg productivity, steroid hormones (progesterone and estradiol) and ovary in Korean Native Ogol Chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:922-928.
- MacGregor, J., and W. S. Parkhouse. 1996. The potential role of insulin-like growth factors in skeletal muscle regeneration. Can. J. Appl. Physiol. 21:236-50. https://doi.org/10.1139/h96-021
- Onagbesan, O. M., B. Vleugels, N. Buys, V. Bruggeman, M. Safi and E. Decuypere. 1999. Insulin-like growth factors in the regulation of avian ovarian functions. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 17:299-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(99)00046-6
Onagbesan, O. M. and M. J. Peddie. 1995. Effects of insulin-like growth factor I and interaction with transforming growth factor
$\alpha$and LH on proliferation of chicken granulosa cells and production of progesterone in culture. J. Reprod. Fertil. 104:259-265. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.1040259
- Pym, R. A. E., R. J. Johnson, D. B. Etse and P. Eason. 1991. Inheritance of plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and growth rate, food intake, food efficiency and abdominal fatness in chicken. Br. Poult. Sci. 32:285-293. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669108417352
- Roberts, R. D. and B. M. Gordon. 1995. The effects of growth on chickens ovarian cells in vitro. Proc. Aust. Poult. Sci. Sym. 7:65-71.
- Tomas, F. M., A. P. Roberts, J. P. McMurtry and G. L. Francis. 1998. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I but not IGF-II promotes lean growth and feed efficiency in broiler chickens. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 110:262-275. https://doi.org/10.1006/gcen.1998.7072
- Williams, J., M. Onagbesan and M. Peddie. 1994. Actions of growth factors on the ovary of the laying hen (Gallus domesticus). Contracept. Fertil. Sex. 22:577-586.
- Yang, S. W. and J. S. Yu. 2000. Relationship of insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, insulin, growth hormone in cord blood and maternal factors with birth height and birth weight. Pediatr. Int. 42:31-36. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-200x.2000.01167.x
- Bruggeman, V., D. Vanmontfort, R. Renaville, D. Portetelle and E. Decuypere. 1997. The effects of food intake from two weeks of age to sexual maturity on plasma growth hormone, insulinlike growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins and thyroid hormones in female broiler breeder chickens. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 107:212-220. https://doi.org/10.1006/gcen.1997.6917
- Huybrechts, L. M., D. B. King, T. J. Lauterio, J. Marsh and C. G. Scanes. 1985. Plasma concentration of somatomedin-C in hypophysectomized, dwarf and intact growing domestic fowl as determined by heterologous radioimmunoassay. J. Endocrinol. 104:233-239. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1040233
- Yun, J. S., W. J. Kang, D. S. Seo, S. S. Park, C. K. Hong, C. Y. Lee and Y. Ko. 2000. Association of endocrine factors (insulin-like growth factor-II and binding protein-3) with litter size in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:307-315.
- Ballard, F. J., R. J. Johnson, P. C. Owens, G. L. Francis, F. M. Upton, J. P. McMurtry and J. C. Wallacem. 1990. Chicken insulin-like growth factor-I; Amino acid sequence, radioimmunoassay and plasma levels between strains and during growth. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 79:459-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-6480(90)90076-X
- Han, S. W., B. K. Ohh and S. H. Kim. 1986. Studies on the hereditary characters and some economical traits of Korean Native Ogol Fowl: II Fertility, hatchability, egg production and body weight. Kor. J. Poult. Sci. 13:179-186.
- McGuinness, M. C., and L. A. Cogburn. 1990. Measurement of developmental changes in plasma insulin-like growth factor-I level of broiler chickens by radioreceptor assay and radioimmunoassay. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 79:446-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-6480(90)90075-W
- Reece, E. A., A. Wiznitzer, E. Le, C. J. Homko, J. Behrman and E. M. Spencer. 1994. The relation between human fetal growth and fetal blood levels of insulin-like growth factor I and II, their binding proteins, and receptors. Obstet. Gynecol. 84:88-95.
- Adashi, E. Y., C. E. Resnick, A. M. H. Briodie, M. E. Svoboda and J. J. Van Wyk. 1985a. Somatomedin-C-mediated potentiation of follicle-stimulating hormone-induced aromatase activity of cultured rat granulosa cells. Endocrinology 117:2313-2320. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-117-6-2313
- Han, S. W., B. K. Ohh and S. H. Kim. 1988. Studies on the hereditary characters and some economical traits of Korean Native Ogol Fowl: IV Body growth and meat production ability. Kor. J. Poul. Sci. 15:1-19.
- Hossenlop, P., D. Seurin, B. Segovia-Quinson, S. Hardouin and M. Binoux. 1986. Analysis of serum insulin-like growth factor binding proteinss using Western ligand blotting: use of the method for titration of the binding proteins and competitive binding proteins. Anal. Biochem. 154:138-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(86)90507-5
- Roberts, R. D., P. J. Sharp, D. W. Burt and C. Goddard. 1994. Insulin-like growth factor-I in the ovary of the laying hens: gene expression and biological action on granulosa and theca cell. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 93:327-336. https://doi.org/10.1006/gcen.1994.1037
- Adashi, E. Y., C. E. Resnick, J. A. D'Ecole, M. E. Svoboda and J. J. Van Wyk. 1985b. Insulin-like growth factors as intraovarian regulators of granulsa cell growth and function. Endocr. Rev. 6:400-421. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-6-3-400
- Lee, C. Y., H. H. Head, C. R. Feinstein, J. Hayden and F. A. Simmen. 1995. Endocrine changes and circulating insulin-like growth factors in newborn calves fed colostrum, milk or milk replacer. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8:51-58.
- Nahm, K. H. 1997. Korean Native Ogol Chicken. World's Poultry Science Journal 53:71-77. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19970010
- Onagbesan, O. M., M. J. Peddie and J. Williams. 1994. Regulation of cell proliferation and estrogen synthesis by ovine LH, IGF-I, and EGF in theca interstitial cells of the domestic hen cultured in defined media. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 94:261-272. https://doi.org/10.1006/gcen.1994.1082
- Johnson, A. L., P. A. Johnson and A. van Tienhoven. 1984. Ovulatory response, and plasma concentrations of luteinizing hormone and progesterone following administration of synthetic mammalian or chicken luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone relative to the first or second ovulation in the sequence of the domestic hen. Biol. Reprod. 31:646-55. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod31.4.646
- Monget, P., D. Monniaux, C. Pisselet and P. Durand. 1993. Changes in insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF-II, and their binding proteins during growth and atresia of ovine ovarian follicles. Endocrinology 132:1438-1446. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.132.4.1438
- Ohh, B. K. 1988. Poultry Science. Moonundang Company, Seoul (In Korean). pp. 331-337.
- Seo, D. S., Y. H. Hong, K. D. Choi, M. H. Yang, Y. S. Shin and J. Y. Han. 1995. Production of chimeric chickens (White Leghorn Korean Native Ogol) by blastodermal cell transfer. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 37:27-32.
- Giudice, L. C. 1992. Insulin-like growth factors and ovarian follicular development. Endocr. Rev. 13:641-669.
- Florini, J. R., D. Z. Ewton and S. A. Coolian. 1996. Growth hormone and the insulin-like growth factor system in myogenesis. Endocr. Rev. 17:481-517.
- Armstrong, D. G. and C. O. Hogg. 1996. Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF-II and type-I IGF receptor gene expression in the ovary of the laying hen. J. Reprod. Fertil. 106:101-106. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.1060101
- Lee, S. J., K. C. Hwan, K. D. Choi, H. K. Lee, Y. S. Shin and J. Y. Han. 1995. Genetic analysis of Korean Native Ogol Chickens with DNA fingerpring. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 37:207-215.
- Armstrong, D. G., C. O. McKay, D. J. Morrell and C. Goddard. 1989. Insulin-like growth factor-I binding proteins in serum form domestic fowl. J. Endocrinol. 120:373-378. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1200373
- SAS. 1995. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Lee, C. Y. and D. M. Henricks. 1990. Comparisons of various acidic treatments of bovine serum on insulin-like growth factors-I immunoreactivity and binding activity. J. Endocrinol. 127:139-148. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1270139
- Vandenburgh, H. H., P. Karlisch, J. Shansky and R. Feldstein. 1991. Insulin and IGF-I induce pronounced hypertrophy of skeletal myofibers in tissue culture. Am. J. Physiol. 260:475-484.
- Blair, H. T., S. N. McCutcheon, D. D. S. Mackenzie, P. D. Gluckman and J. E. Ormsby. 1987. Variation in plasma concentration of insulin-like growth factor-I and its covariation with liveweight in mice. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 40:287-293.
- Nissley, S. P. and M. M. Rechler. 1984. Insulin-like growth factors: biosynthesis, receptors, and carrier proteins. In Hormonal Proteins and Peptides (Ed. C. H. Li). Academic Press, New York. pp. 127-201.
- Ui, M., S. Shimonaka, S. Shimosaki and N. Ling. 1989. An insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in ovarian follicular fluid blocks follicle-stimulating hormone-stimulated steroid production by ovarian granulosa cells. Endocrinology 125:912-916. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-125-2-912
- Allander, S. V., E. Ehrenborg, H. Luthman and D. R. Powell. 1995. Consevation of IGFBP structure during evolution: Cloning of chicken insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5. Prog. Growth Factor Res. 6:159-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2235(96)00011-7
- Hwa, V., Y. Oh, and R. G. Rosenfeld. 1999. The insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP) superfamily. Endocr. Rev. 20:761-787. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.20.6.761
- Gluckman, P. D., R. G. Douglas, G. R. Ambler, B. H. Breier, S. C. Hodgkinson, J. B. Koea and J. H. F. Shaw. 1991 The endocrine role of insulin-like growth factor I. Acta. Pediatr. Scand. Suppl. 372:97-105.
- Scanes, C. G., E. A. Dunnington, F. C. Buonomo, D. J. Donoghue and P. B. Siegel. 1989. Plasma concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF-) I and IGF-II in dwarf and normal chicken of high and low weight selected lines. Growth Develop. Aging 53:151-157.
- Schoen, T. J., K. Masuruk, R. J. Waldbilling, J. Potts, D. C. Beebe, G. J. Chader and I. R. Rodriguez. 1995 Cloning and characterization ova chick embryo cDNA and gene for IGFbinding protein-2. J. Mol. Endocrinol. 15:49-59. https://doi.org/10.1677/jme.0.0150049
- Seo, D. S., J. S. Yun, W. J. Kang, J. G. Jeon, K. C. Hong and Y. Ko. 2001. Association of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) gene polymorphism with serum IGF-I concentration and body weight in Korean Native Ogol Chicken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:915-921.
- Zapf, J., C. H. Schmid and E. R. Froesch. 1984. Biological and immunological properties of insulin-like growth factors (IGF) I and II. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 13:3-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-595X(84)80006-7
- McMurtry, J. P., G. L. Francis and Z. Upton. 1997. Insulin-like growth factors in poultry. Dom. Anim. Enocrinol. 14:199-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(97)00019-2