- Volume 32 Issue 1
Mass consumption of the surplus onion in the period of harvesting season by processing to various value-added functional food products would be one of the counterplot for stable market. This study was to develop functional sponge cakes with addition of onion powder, using physiochemical properties and sensory evaluation. The specific gravity and viscosity tended to increase according to the addition of onion powder. The water content was highest mark on the 4% onion powder added-cake. The color of lightness, yellowness, and redness of cake crust tended to decrease with the addition of onion powder. The addition of onion powder showed decrease in lightness and yellowness and increase in redness of cake crumb. The specific loaf volume was superior with the addition of 4% onion powder. The resilience, fracturability and adhesiveness showed a difference from the control. Sensory evaluation of cake indicated that addition of onion powder especially at the level of 2, 4%, enhanced appearance flavor, mouth feeling, and overall acceptability.
- Villar A, Gasco MA, Alcaraz MJ. 1984. Anti-inflammatory action and anti-ulcer properties of hypolaetin-8-glycosides, a novel plant flavonoid. J Pharmacol 36: 820-822. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1984.tb04884.x
- Frag RS, Daw ZY, Abo-Raya SH. 1989. Influence of some essential oils on Aspergillus parasiticus growth and production of aflatoxins in a synthetic mechanism. J Food Sci 54: 74-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb08571.x
- Katiyar SK. 1993. Protection against TPA-induced inflammation in SENCAR mouse ear skin by polyphenolic fraction of green tea. Carcinogenesis 14: 361-365. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/14.3.361
- Michael GLH, Edith JMF, Peter CHH. 1993. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease. Lancet 342: 1007-1010. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(93)92876-U
- Duxbury DD. 2000. Onion and garlic varieties speed delivery, save $$$. Food Processing 5: 110-111.
- Kee HJ, Park YK. 2000. Preparation and properties of extruded snack using onion pomace and onion. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 578-583.
- Kee HJ, Ryu GH, Pak YK. 2001. Physical properties of extruded snack made of dried onion and onion pomace. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 64-69.
- Kee HJ, Park YK. 2000. Preparation and quality properties of extruded snack using onion pomace and onion. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 578-583.
- Kang SK, Kim YD, Hyun KH, Kim YW, Sung BH, Shin SC, Park YK. 1998. Development of separating techniques on quercetin-related substances in onion (in Korean) contents and stability of quercetin-related substances in onion. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 682-686.
- Kang SK, Kim YD, Hyun KH, Kim YW, Shin JS, Park YK. 1998. Development of separating techniques on quercetinrelated substances in onion (in Korean) contents and stability of quercetin-related substances in onion. 2. Optimal extracting condition of quercertin-related substances in onion. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 687-692.
- Lewick PP, Pomaranska-Lazuka W2, Witrowa-Rajchert D, Nowak D. 1998. Storage stability of dried onion. J Food Quality 21: 505-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1998.tb00540.x
- Chun SS, Park JR, Cho YS, Kim MY, Kim RY, Kim KO. 2000. Effect of onion power oddition on the quality of white bread. Korean J Food & Nutr 14: 346-354.
- Lee SY, Kim CS, Song YS, Park JH. 2001. Studies on the quality characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of yam powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 48-55.
- AACC. 2000. Approved Method of the AACC 10th, American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, Minn., USA p 3 of 4.
- AACC. 2000. Approved Method of the AACC. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, Minn., USA. p 2 of 4.
- Lee KH, Park HC, Her ES. 1998. Statistics and Data Analysis Method. Hyoil press, Seoul. p 253-296.
- Kawasome S, Yamano Y. 1990. Effect of storage humidity on moisture and texture of butter sponge. J Home Econ Japan 41: 71-75.
- Physicochemical Qualities and Consumer Perception of Tomato Sponge Cakes vol.16, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2011.16.4.390
- Quality Characteristics of Sponge Cake with Added Lotus Leaf Powder vol.28, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.6.651
- Combination Effect of Various Freezing and Thawing Techniques on Quality and Nutritional Attributes of Onions vol.44, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1492
- Effects of High Molecular Weight Water-Soluble Chitosan On Storage Characteristics and Quality Attributes of Sponge Cake vol.21, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.3.577
- Changes in Taste Compounds during Onion Vinegar Fermentation vol.45, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.298
- Preparation Characteristics of Mousse Cake with Different Amounts of Cream Cheese vol.28, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.3.241
- Preparation and Characteristics of Bread by Medicinal Herb Composites with Immunostimulating Activity vol.37, pp.1, 2008, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.1.109
- Quality Characteristics of Sulgi with Added Fresh or Frozen Red Onions vol.41, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.239
- OPTIMIZATION OF ONION COOKIE BAKING PROCESS USING RESPONSE SURFACE METHODOLOGY vol.31, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.2008.00202.x
- Quality Characteristics of Sponge Cake with Omija Powder vol.41, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.233
- Effects of Young Barley Leaf Powders on the Quality Characteristics of Yellow Layer Cakes vol.18, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.6.830