- Volume 32 Issue 1
Antimicrobial activities of grape seed ethanol extract and its serial solvent fractions were investigated against various food poisoning microorganisms. The grape seed ethanol extract showed dose dependant antimicrobial activity against Bacillus subtilis ATCC 9372 or Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 6538, whereas had limited effect on Pseudomonas aeruginosa IFO 3080, Salmonella enteritidis IFO 3313 and Escherichia coli ATCC 25922. Ethylacetate and butanol fractions ameng the serial solvent fractions of grape seed ethanol extract contained the catechin at the levels of 35.7 mg/g and 20.2 mg/g, respectively. Nevertheless, the butanol fraction of grape seed ethanol extract showed intense antimicrobial activity compared with the ethylacetate fraction on all microorganisms tested. It was found that the butanol fraction was mainly composed of oligomeric or polymeric polyphenols such as condensed tannins by the fractionation on C l8 cartridge according to the difference in the degree of polymerization. Therefore, it seems that the antimicrobial activity of grape seed ethanol extract is related to the degree of polymerization of proanthocyanidin as well as the total content of flavan-3-ol composing the proanthocyanidin.
- Shin DH. 1997. Research trend and direction of natural antioxidants. Food Science and Industry 30: 14-21.
- Kim WS. 1995. Grape processing industries. In New Cultivation Method of Grape. Kim WS, eds. Munun Publishing Co., Seoul. p 58-92.
- Sung JK. 1996. The present of grape processing industries In Grape, from Plantation to Sales. Sung JK, eds. The Nongmin Press, Seoul. p 23-41.
- Teresa EB, Yolanda GF, Julian CR, Celestino SB. 1992. Characterisation of procyanidins of Vitis vinifera varity Tinta del pais grape seeds. J Agric Food Chem 40: 1794- 1799 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00022a013
- Prieur C, Rigaud J, Cheynier V, Moutounet M. 1994. Oligomeric and polymeric procyanidins from grapes. Phytochemistry 36: 781-784. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)89817-9
- Ricardo da Silva JM, Darmon N, Fernandez Y, Mitjavila S. 1991. Oxygen free radical scavenger capacity in aqueous models of different procyanidins from grape seeds. J Agric Food Chem 39: 1549-1552. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00009a002
- Tebib K, Bitri L, Besancon P, Rouanet J. 1994. Polymeric grape seed tannins prevent plasma-cholesterol changes in high-cholesterol-fed rats. Food Chemistry 49: 403-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(94)90012-4
- Tebib K, Besancon P, Rouanet J. 1994. Dietary grape seed tannins affect lipoproteins, lipoprotein lipases and tissuelipids in rats fed hypercholesterolemic diets. J Nutrition 124: 2451-2457. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/124.12.2451
- Kanner J, Frankel EN, Granit R, German B, Kinsella JE. 1994. Natural antioxidant in grapes and wines. J Agric Food Chem 42: 64-69. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00037a010
- Frankel EN, Waterhouse AL, Tussedre PL. 1995. Principle phenolic phytochemicals in selected California wines and their antioxidant activity in inhibiting oxidation of human low-density lipoprotein. J Agric Food Chem 43: 890-894. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00052a008
- Teissedre PL, Frankel EN, Waterhouse AL, Peleg H, German JB. 1996. Inhibition of in vitro human LDL oxidation by phenolic antioxidants from grapes and wines. J Sci Food Agric 70: 55-61. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199601)70:1<55::AID-JSFA471>3.0.CO;2-X
- Mayer AS, Yi OS, Person DA, Waterhouse AL, Franke EN. 1997. Inhibition of human LDL oxidation in relation to composition of phenolic antioxidants in grapes (Vitis vinifera). J Agric Food Chem 45: 1638-1643. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960721a
- Walker M. 1991. Antioxidant properties of pycnogenol. Townsend Letters for Doctors Aug/Sep 616-619.
- Jayaprakasha GK, Singh RP, Sakariah KK. 2001. Antioxidant activity of grape seed (Vitis vinifera) extracts on peroxidation models in vitro. Food Chem 73: 285-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00298-3
- Wee JH, Park KH. 1997. Retardation of kimchi fermentation and growth inhibition of related microorganisms by tea catechins. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 1275-1280.
- Sakanaka S, Okubo T, Akachi S, Mabe K, Matsumoto M. 1996. Tables of data on the antimicrobial activities of green tea extracts. In Chemistry and Applications of Green Tea. Yamamoto T, eds. CRC Press, New York. p 146-147.
- Chung HY, Lee JH. 2001. Processing method of grape seed extract containing natural antioxidant activity. Korean Patent 0298512
- Chung HY, Yoon SJ. 2002. Antioxidant activity of grape seed ethanol extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 893- 898. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.893
- Korea Foods Industry Association. 1998. 161. grape seed extract. In Food Additive Revolution. Korea Foods Industry Association p 942-943.
- Chung HY, Yoon SJ. 2002. Antioxidant activity of grape seed ethanol extract according to serial solvent fractionation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 1092-1096. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.6.1092
- Roh KJ, Shin YS, Lee KS, Shin MK. 1996. Antimicrobial activity of water extract of green tea against cooked rice putrefactive microorganism. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 1275-1280.
- Oh DH, Han SS, Park BK, Ahn C, Yu JY. 1998. Antimicrobial activities of natural medicinal herbs on the food spoilage or foodborne disease microorganisms. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 957-963.
- Shin DH, Kim MS, Han JS. 1997. Antimicrobial effect of ethanol extracts from some medicinal herbs and their fractionates against food-born bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 808-816.
- Hara Y, Ishigami T. 1989. Antibacterial activities of tea polyphenols against foodborne pathogenic bacteria. Nippon Shokuin Kogyo Gakkashi 36: 996-1000. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.36.12_996
- Effect of Roasting Conditions on the Quality of Grape Seed Tea vol.18, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2014.18.1.42
- Prediction of the Optimum Conditions for Microwave-Assisted Extraction of the Total Phenolic Content and Antioxidative and Nitrite-scavenging Abilities of Grape Seed vol.18, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.4.546
- Analysis of Antibacterial Activity against Food Spoilage and Food-borne Pathogens and Cytotoxicity on Human Cancer Cell Lines of Extracts from Pericarp and Seed of Vitis coignetiea vol.28, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.2.175
- Investigation of Residual Organochlorine Pesticides in Grape and Peach Orchard Soils and Fruits vol.22, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2018.22.4.292