- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Korean Red Ginseng Powder on the Lipid Concentrations and Tissue Lipid Peroxidation in the Rats Fed High Fat Diet
고지방급여 흰쥐의 혈청과 간의 지질 농도 및 조직 과산화지질 농도에 미치는 홍삼분말의 영향
- Published : 2003.02.01
Effect of Korean red ginseng (KRG) on the level of serum and liver lipids and lipid peroxidation was investigated in the rats fed high fat diet. Content of serum total cholesterol was significantly decreased (P<0.05) in KRG I group and KRG II group. Content of HDL-cholesterol was significantly increased by 69.75% and 39.15% in KRG I and KRG II group compared to control group, respectively. Atherogenic index (hi) was also significantly decreased by 74.76% and 37.38% in KRG I and KRG II groups compared to control group, respectively. Serum triglyceride content was significantly decreased (p<0.05) in only KRG II group. Antioxidative activity of KRG on the lipid peroxidation of serum and tissues in rats was also studied in vivo by measuring the formation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS). Contents of TBARS in the serum of both KRG groups were significantly decreased (p<0.05) and that of nonheme iron in serum was significantly increased (p<0.05) in a dose-dependent manner, which suggested that lipid peroxidation contents are inversely correlated with serum nonheme iron content. Content of TBARS in liver was significantly decreased (p<0.05) in KRG I and KRG II groups, without any influence in other tissues. Content of TBIARS in liver microsomal fractions stimulated by Fe
- Annual report on the cause of death statistics. 2000. National Statistical Office, Republic of Korea.
- Plaa GL, Witschi H. 1976. Chemicals, drugs and lipid peroxidation. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxical 16: 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pa.16.040176.001013
- Alordmann R, Riberre C, Rouah H. 1990. Ethanol induced lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress in extrahepatic tissues. Alcohol 25: 231-237.
- Yotsumoto H, Yanagita T, Yamamoto K, Ogawa Y, Cha JY, Mori Y. 1997. Inhibitory effect of Oren-Gedoku-to and its components on cholesteryl ester synthesis in cultured human hepatocyte HepG2 cells. Evidence from the cultured HepG2 cells and in vitro assay of ACAT. Planta Med 63: 141-145. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957631
- Kim BK, Shin GK, Jeon BS, Bae DW, Cha JY. 2001. Cholesterol- lowering effect of mushroom powder in hyperlipidemic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 510-515.
- Suzuki S, Hinokio Y, Komatu K, Ohtomo M, Onoda M, Hirai S, Hirai M, Hirai A, Chiba M, Kasuga S, Akai H, Toyota T. 1999. Oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA and its relationship to diabetic complications. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 45: 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8227(99)00046-7
- Miyake Y, Yamamoto K, Tsujihara N, Osawa T. 1998. Protective effects of lemon flavonoids on oxidative stress in diabetic rats. Lipid 33: 689-695. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-998-0258-y
- Yamamoto M, Uemura, Nakama S, Uemiya M, Kumagai A. 1983. Serum HDL-cholesterol-increasing and fatty liverimproving actions of Panax ginseng in high cholesterol dietfed rats with clinical effect on hyperlipidemia in man. Am J Chin Med 11: 96-101. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X83000161
- Nam KY. 2002. Clinical application and efficacy of Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer). J Ginseng Res 26: 111-131. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2002.26.3.111
- Wei JX. 1982. Studies on the constituents of Korean red ginseng the isolation and identification of 3-hydroxy-2- methyl-4-pyrone. Yao Xue Xue Bao 17: 549-550.
- Inoue M, Wu CZ, Dou DQ, Chen YJ, Ogihara Y. 1999. Lipoprotein lipase activation by red ginseng saponins in hyperlipidemia model animals. Phytomedicine 6: 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(99)80018-X
- Kim YK, Guo Q, Packer L. 2002. Free radical scavenging activity of red ginseng aqueous extracts. Toxicology 172: 149-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(01)00585-6
- Kim HJ, Chun YJ, Park JD, Kim SI, Roh JK, Jeong TC. 1997. Protection of rat liver microsomes against carbon tetrachloride- induced lipid peroxidation by red ginseng saponin through cytochrome P450 inhibition. Planta Med 63: 415- 418. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957724
- Chiba H, Takasaki M, Masuyama R, Uehara M, Kanke Y, Suzuki K, Goto S. 1998. Time course of change in hepatic lipid peroxide level in iron-deficient rats. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 51: 201-206.
- Cha JY, Kim HJ, Cho YS. 2000. Effect of water-soluble extract from leaves of Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata on the lipid peroxidation in tissues of rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 531-536.
- Murakami A, Kishimoto M, Kawaguchi M, Matsuura T, Ichikawa T. 1998. Lipid peroxides and thier relatives in organs of female rats fed diets containing excessive heme iron. J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 51: 9-15. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.51.9
- Jeong TC, Kim HJ, Park JI, Ha CS, Park JD, Kim SI, Roh JK. 1997. Protective effects of red ginseng saponins against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in Sprague Dawley rats. Planta Med 63: 136-140. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957630
- Jeon BH, Kim C, Park KS, Lee JW, Park JB, Kim KJ, Kim SH, Chang SJ, Nam KY. 2000. Effect of Korea red ginseng on the blood pressure in conscious hypertensive rats. Gen Pharmacol 35: 135-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-3623(01)00096-9
- Folch J, Leesm M, Sloane-Starley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 467-509.
- Bartlett GR. 1981. Colorimetric assay methods for free and phosphorylated glyceric acids. J Biochem 14: 127-134.
- Wong SF, Holliwell B, Richimond R, Skowroneck WR. 1981. The role of superoxide and hydroxyl radical in the degradation of hyaluronic acid induced by metal ions and by ascorbic acid. J Inorganic Biochem 14: 127-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0162-0134(00)80033-1
- Woo SJ, Ryu SS. 1983. Preparation method for atomic absorption spectrophotometry of food samples. Korean J Food Sci Technol 15: 225-230.
- Duncan DB. 1959. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 1: 1-42. https://doi.org/10.1002/bimj.19590010102
- Ogawa H, Sakai M, Takatera K, Meguro T. 1997. Effect of tienchi ginseng powder on blood pressure and lipid metabolism in SHRSP (stroke-prone spontaneously hypentensiverats). J Jpn Soc Nutr Food Sci 50: 127-132. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.50.127
- Inkeles S, Eisenberg D. 1981. Hyperlipidemia and coronary atherosclerosis. Medicine (Baltimore) 60: 110-123. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005792-198103000-00004
- Manninen V, Tenkanen L, Koskinen P, Huttunen JK, Manntari M, Heinonen OP, Frick MH. 1992. Triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol concentrations on coronary heart disease risk in the Helsinki Heart Study. Circulation 85: 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.85.1.37
- Cha JY, Kim HJ, Jun BS, Cho YS. 2000. Effect of water extract of leaves from Morus alba and Cudrania tricuspidata on the lipid concentration of serum and liver in rats. Agric Chem Biotechnol 43: 303-308.
- Do KM, Park YB, Bok SH, Lee MK, Jeong TS, Choi MS. 2001. Alteration of lipid metabolism by ginseng supplements with different levels of vitamin E in high cholesterol-fed rats. J Food Sci Nutr 6: 66-72.
- Gordon T, Casfelli WP, Hjortland MC, Kennel WB, Dawher TR. 1977. High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart diseases, the Framingham study. Am J Med 62: 707-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(77)90874-9
- Castelli WP, Garrison RJ, Wilson PWF, Abborr RD, Kalousdian S, Kannel WB. 1986. Incidence of coronary heart disease and lipoprotein cholesterol levels, the Framingham study. JAMA 256: 2835-2845. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.256.20.2835
- Knekt P, Jarvinen R, Reunanen A, Martela J. 1997. Flavonoid intake and coronary mortality in Finland: a cohort study. Br Med J 312: 478-481.
- Cha JY, Mameda Y, Oogami K, Yamamoto K, Yanagita T. 1998. Association between hepatic triacylglycerol accumulation induced by administering orotic acid and enhanced phosphatidate phosphohydrolase activity in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 62: 508-513. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.62.508
- Kim AS, Lee BM. 2001. Protective effects of antioxidant supplementation on plasma lipid peroxidation in smokers. J Toxicol Environ Health A 63: 583-589. https://doi.org/10.1080/152873901316857761
- Singh RK, Barrand MA. 1990. Lipid peroxidation effects of a novel iron compound, ferric maltol. A comparison with ferrous sulphate. J Pharm Pharmacol 42: 276-927. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1990.tb05407.x
- Rouach H, Fataccioli V, Gentil M, French SW, Morimoto M, Nordmann R. 1997. Effect of chronic ethanol feeding on lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in relation to liver pathology. Hepatology 25: 351-355.
- Sung KS, Chun C, Kwon YH, Kim KH, Chang CC. 2000. Effects of red ginseng component on the antioxidative enzymes activities and lipid peroxidation in the liver of mice. J Ginseng Res 24: 29-34.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 26: 1199-1204.
- Park JC, Choi JS, Choi JW. 1995. Effects of the fraction from the leaves, fruits, stems and roots of Cudrania tricuspidata and flavonoids on lipid peroxidation. Kor J Pharmacogn 26: 377-384.
- Nam KY, Park JD. 2000. Usage and dosage of ginseng radix (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer) based upon traditional and recent scientific clinical applications. J Ginseng Res 24: 99-105.
- Ameliorate Effect of Black Ginseng on HepG2 Cell transplanted in BALB/c Nude Mice vol.28, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.2.241
- Effects of Emulsified Sausage Supplemented with Ginseng Saponin on Lipid Metabolism in Rat vol.30, pp.4, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.4.582
- Anti-Diabetic Effect of Red Ginseng-Chungkukjang with Green Laver or Sea Tangle vol.15, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2010.15.3.176