- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gamma-Irradiation on Biological Activities and Color Changes of Extracts of Schizandrae fructus
감마선 조사가 오미자의 생리 활성과 색상 변화에 미치는 영향
- 전태욱 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학기술개발팀) ;
- 박지혜 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학기술개발팀) ;
- 신명곤 (우송대학교 식품생명공학부) ;
- 김기혁 (우송대학교 식품생명공학부) ;
- 변명우 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학기술개발팀)
- Published : 2003.02.01
This study was carried out to examine the effects of gamma irradiation on the color removal, antioxidation, DPPH radical scavenger, and antimicrobial activity of Schizandra fructus extracts by different solvents. Schizandra fructus was extracted by hot water, ethanol, acetone and methanol, and the extracts were irradiated 10, 20 and 30 kGy with gamma rays. Hunter color L-value was increased by irradiation in a dose-dependent manner, resulting in brighter color for all solvents used. The a and b values were decreased by irradiation in a dose-dependent manner. Antioxidant activity of the ethanol extract of Schizandra fructus against soybean oil was the highest. The free radical scavenging activity was the strongest in hot water extract. All solvent extracts from Schizandra fructus had the strongest antimicrobial activities to B. subtilis, B. natto, B megaterium, S. aureus, Sal. typhymurium and E. coli. These results suggested that Schizandra fructus extracts have a strong potential as natural food preservatives and cosmetic raw materials. Furthermore, irradiation may not influence adversely on biological activites of the extracts when irradiated up to 30 kGy.
- Lee SH, Lim YS. 1997. Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinensis extract against Listeria monocytogenes. Kor J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 25: 442-447.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Choi JS, Hong JS. 2000. The antioxidaive, antimicrobial and nitrite scavenging effects of Schizandra chinensis RUPRECHT (Omija) seed. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 928-932.
- Lee JY, Min YK, Kim HY. 2001. Isolation of antimicrobial substance from Schizandra chinensis Baillon and antimicrobial effect. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 389-394.
- Shon HJ, Bock JY, Bail SO, Kim YH. 1989. Determination of lignan compounds in fruits of Schizandra chinensis Baillon by capillary-GC (FID). J Korean Agric Chem Soc 32: 350- 356.
- Kim KI, Nam JH, Kwon TW. 1973. On the proximate composition, organic acid and anthocyanins of Omija, Schizandra chinensis Baillon. Korean J Food Sci Technol 5: 178-182.
- Yang HC, Lee JM, Song KB. 1982. Anthocyanins in cultured Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) and its stability. Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 25: 35-43.
- Lee JS, Lee SW. 1989. The studies of composition of free sugar, fatty acid and nonvolatilitic organic acid in part of Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). Korean J Dietary Culture 4: 177-181.
- Lee SH, Lim YS. 1998. Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinesis extract on pathogenic microorganism. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 239-243.
- Lee SH, Lim YS. 1997. Effect of Omija (Schizandra chinesis) extract on the growth of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kimchi. Korean J Applied Microbiol Biotechnol 25: 224- 228.
- Lee SH, Lim YS. 1997. Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinesis extract against Listeria monocytogenes. Korean J Applied Microbiol Biotechnol 25: 442-447.
- Kim SM, Cho YS, Sung SK. 2001. The antioxidant ability and nitrite scavenging ability of plant extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 626-632.
- Kim MH, Kim MC, Park JS, Kim JW, Lee JO. 2001. The antioxidative effects of the water-soluble exrtacts of plants used as tea materials. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 12- 18.
- Kang KC, Park JH, Beak SB, Jhin HS, Rhee KS. 1992. Optimization of beverage preparation form Schizandra chinensis Baillon by response surface methodlogy. Korean J Food Sci Technol 24: 74-81.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Choi JS. 1998. Studies on drying and preservation of Omija (Schizandra chinensis). Korean Postharvest Sci Technol 5: 217-223.
- Byun MW. 1994. Application of irradiation techniques to food industry. Radioisotope News 9: 32-37.
- Lim SI, Yuk HS, Yoon HH, Kim YJ, Byun MW. 1998. Effect of gamma irradiation on egg white protein. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 291-295.
Farag RS, Khawas KH. 1998. Influence of
$\gamma$-irradiation and microwaves on the antioxidant property of some essential oils. Inter J Food Sci Nutr 49: 109-115. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637489809089390
- Lee JW, Yook HS, Cho KH, Lee SY, Byun MW. 2001. The changes of aller genic and antigenic properties of egg white albumin (Gal d1) by gamma irradiation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 500-504.
- Son JH, Jo C, Byun MW. 2001. Processing of green tea leaves extract by gamma irradiation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1305-1308.
- Jo C, Lee JW, Byun MW. 2001. Short communication of novel application of food irradiation. J Food Sci Nutr 6: 253-256.
- Thayer KW. 1990. Food irradiation: Benefits and concerns. J Food Quality 13: 147-169. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1990.tb00014.x
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Son JH, Jo C, Kim MR, Kim JO, Byun MW. 2001. Effect of gamma irradiation on removal of undesirable color from green tea extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1305-1308.
- Song TH, Kim DH, Park BJ, Shin MG, Byun MW. 2001. Changes in microbiological and general quality characteristics of gamma irradiated Kanjang and Shoyu. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 338-344.
- Kim JH, Ahn HJ, Kim JO, Ryu KH, Yook HS, Lee YN, Byun MW. 2000. Sanitation and quality improvement of salted and fermented anchovy sauce by gamma irradiation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 1035-1041.
- Byun MW, Jo C, Lee KH, Kim KS. 2002. Chlorophyll breakdown by gamma irradiation in model system containing linoleic acid. J Am Oil Chem Soc 79: 145-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-002-0449-y
- Ryu SN, Lee BH. 1997. Antoxidative components in higher plants and their researches in Japan and USA. Kor J Intl Agric 10: 13-23.
- Lee YS, Seo KI, Shim KH. 1999. Antimicrobial activites of chestnut flower extracts (Castanea crenata). Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 104-109.
- Seo KI, Lee SW, Yang KH. 1999. Antimicrobial and antioxidative activites of Corni fructus extracts. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 99-103.
- Ji WD, Jeong MS, Chung HC, Choi UK, Jeong WH, Kwoen DJ, Kim SY, Chung YG. 2001. Growth inhibition of water extract of Schizandra chinensis Bullion on the bacteria. J Food Hygiene and Safety 16: 89-95.
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Extracts of Traditional Medicinal Plants Mixtures 1 and 2 vol.21, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.4.596
- The Comparison of Color and Physiological Properties of Hizikia fusiformis Cooking Juice Ethanol Extract Irradiated with Gamma Ray and Electron Beam vol.27, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2012.27.3.195
- Antioxidative activity and Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitory activity of Fermented Medical Plants (DeulBit) and Its Modulatory Effects of Nitric Oxide Production vol.53, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2010.017
- Effect of Gamma Irradiation on Immune Activity and Physicochemical Properties of Myagropsis myagroides Water Extract vol.44, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2011.44.1.050
- Effects of Gamma Irradiation on Shelf-Life and Sensory Scores of Squid Sundae under Accelerated Storage Conditions vol.41, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.10.1441
- Effect of Drying Methods and Gamma Irradiation on the Color Changes and Antioxidant Activity of Grape By-Products vol.39, pp.12, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1826
- Antioxidative Properties of Ethanolic Extracts from Flowering Cherry (Prunus serrulata L. var. spontanea Max. wils.) Fruit with Various Doses of Gamma Radiation vol.40, pp.10, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.10.1378
- Effects of Combined Treatment of Gamma Irradiation and Addition of Fucoidan/laminarin on Ready-to-eat Pork Patty vol.29, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.1.34