- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effective grafting method for Korean jujube nursery tree
- Park, Hee-Seung (Division of Biological Science and Resources, Chung-ang University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Koo (Dept. of Hortuculture, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chung, Kyu-Hwan (Division of Biological Science and Resources, Chung-ang University) ;
- Ahn, Young-Hee (Division of Biological Science and Resources, Chung-ang University)
- Published : 2003.02.01
An effective grafting method for jujube nursery trees was developed to shorten the operation time, improve the percentage of "takes" and shoot emergence, and form the better graft union. Out of 7 grafting methods the splice, modified scion Ono graft and the bark graft showed relatively short operation time during the grafting operation comparing to the modified rootstock Ono graft or the chip budding. Among these methods, the bark graft demonstrated 100% "takes", but the modified scion Ono graft or the standard Ono graft showed 58.3% of "takes". The percentages of the vegetative shoot emergence were 100% fir the bark graft, 70% f3r the modified scion Ono graft and lower emergence percent for the rest grafting methods. The union tissue formation for the modified scion Ono graft, the bark graft, or the whip-and-tongue graft was significantly larger than the standard Ono graft or the splice graft. In a close examination of the cross sectional areas of the graft union formation through the microscope, the bark graft was superior, the standard Ono graft was inferior and rest of the grafting methods were intermediate.ing methods were intermediate.
Jujube;Grafting method;Yakes;Modified scion Ono graft;Union tissue formation
- Shaumarov, Kh.B., 1976, The effect of substrate heating and cutting type on the rooting of softwood cuttings of Zizyphus jujuba, Doklady Mosk. S.Kh. Akad. im. K.A. Timiryazeva, 216, 83-89. In Horticultural Abstracts 1977, 47(6), 6142.
- Sin'ko, L.T., 1973, The characteristics of Zizyphus jujuba seed propagation. Subtropic -heskie Kul'tury 2, 103-106, In Horticultural Abstracts 1974, 44(6), 4375.
- Tarasenko, M.T. and Kh.B. Shaumarov, 1977, Raising of Zizyphus jujuba transplants by means of softwood cuttings, Izvestiya Timiryazevskoi Sel'skokhozyaistvennoi Akademii 3, 150-163. In Horticultural Abstracts 1978, 48(1), 999.
- Podluzhny, L.F., 1939, Grafting the jujube, Soviet Subtropics, 7(59), 49, In Horticultural Abstracts 1042.
- Kim, Y.K., 1985, Growth responses of one- year-old nursery apple trees affected by different budding methods. Institute of Food Development, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 6, 24-33.
- Bhambota, J.R. and A. Singh, 1971, A quick method of raising ber rootstock. Punjab horticultural Journal, 11(3/4), 251-253. In Horticultural Abstracts 1973 43(5), 3292.
- Husain, A., 1973, Propagation of jujube (Zizyphus jujuba) by patch budding, Bangladesh Horticulture 1(1), 48-50.
- Shcherbakova, L.T. and G.V. Kulikov, 1972, Vegetative propagation of jujube under mist, Subtropicheskie Kul'tury, 1, 94-98. In Horticultural Abstracts 1973, 43(5), 3293.