- Volume 12 Issue 2
Electrokinetic remediation technique offers the opportunity to extract heavy metals from soils with high plasticity. The experiment demonstrated the applicability of electrokinetic remediation on metal-mining deposit and the decision of the enhancement method for four kinds of bench-scale studies. According to the sequential extraction of heavy metals in the "I" mining deposit, Pb and Cu were mostly associated with residual fraction and Zn and Cd were associated with water soluble and residual fraction. Therefore, removable fractions by electrokinetic technology was determined by the sum of the fraction of water soluble and exchangeable, which is Cu : 19.53%, Pb : 1.42%, Cd : 52.82%, Zn : 57.28%, respectively. When considering electrical potential, volume of effluent, soil pH, and eliminated rate of contaminant, results determined by sum of each weight were Citric aic+SDS (13) > 0.1N
Electrokinetics;Metal-mining deposit;Sequential extraction
- Acar, Y.B., H. Li, and R.J. Gale, 1992, Phenol removal from kaolinite by electrokinetics, J. of Geotechnical Engineering, 118 (11), 1837-1852. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1992)118:11(1837)
- Acar, Y.B., S. Puppala, R. Marks, A.N. Gale, Alshawabkeh, and M. Bricka, 1994, An investigation of selected enhancement techniques in electrokinetic remediation, Electrokinetics Inc.
- Jeong, H.I., 1996, Removal of heavy metals from contaminated ground by electrokinetic remediation, Ph. D. dissertation of In-Ha University, August.
- Zelina, J.P and J.F. Rusling, 1998, Electrochemical remediation of soils in Environmental Analysis and Remediation, John Wiley & Sons, New York., NY., 1567- 1583.
- Delfino, J.J. and R.E. Enderson, 1978, Comparative study outlines methods of analysis of total metal in sludge, Water & Sewage works, 125(RN), R32-R48.
- Acar, Y.B., R.J. Gale, G. Putnam, and J. Hamed, 1989, Electrochemical processing of soils: Its potential use in environmental geotechnology and significance of pH gradients, 2nd International symposium on environmental geotechnology; Shanghai, China, Envo Publishing, Bethlehem, PA, 1, 25-38.
- Yoon, S.S., 2002, Characteristics of electrokinetic remediation on the heavy metal contaminated mine deposit, Ph. D. dissertation of Kyungsung University.
- Moon, B.C., 1997, Depth profile and fractionation of chemical forms of heavy in sediment at the Hoedong reservoir, Master Thesis of Pusan National University, Part II, 30.
- Han, S.J., 2000, Characteristics of electroosmosis and heavy metal migration in contaminated soil by electrokinetic technique, Ph. D. Dissertation of Chung-ang University, June.
- Harrison, R. and Laxen, 1981, Lead pollution causes and control, Chapman and Hall, 168.
- Acar, Y.B., R.J. Gale, A.N. Alshawabkeh, R.E. Marks, S. Puppala, M. Bricka, and R. Parker, 1995, Electrokinetic remediation; Basics and technology status, J. of Hazardous Materials 40, 117-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3894(94)00066-P
- Tessier, A., P.G. Campbell, and M. Bission, 1979, Sequential extraction procedure for the speciation of particulate trace metals, Anal. Chem., 51, 844-851. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50043a017
- Pamukcu, S. and J.K. Wittle, 1992, Electrokinetic removal of selected heavy metals from soil, Environmental Progress., 11(3), 241-250. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.670110323
- Rudd, T., D.L. Lake, I. Mehrotra, R.M. Sterritt, P.W.W. Kirk, J.A. Campbell, and J.N. Lester, 1988, Characterization of metal forms in sewage sludge by chemical extraction and progressive acidification, The science of the total environment, 74, 149-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(88)90135-0
- Acar, Y.B., A.N. Alshawabkeh, and R.A. Parker, 1997, Theoretical and experimental modeling of multi-species transport in soils under electric fields, EPA/600/R-97/054.
- Jeong, B.M., 1999, Electrokinetic technique application to kaolinite contaminated by heavy metal, Master Thesis of Chung-ang University, December.
- Effect of Heavy Metal Species on the Removal of Cu, Pb, and Cd Contaminated Soils Using Electrokinetic Process vol.13, pp.1, 2004, https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2003.12.2.227