- Volume 32 Issue 3
This study was conducted to investigate the changes in organoleptic characteristics by adding different amounts of red pepper powder, salt-fermented anchovy extracts to kimchi. The salt enhanced sourness and pungency up to 2% but suppressed sourness, pungency, sweetness and umami taste by salt of more than 2%. Red pepper powder proportionally enhanced sourness up to 3% but suppressed saltiness, sweetness and umami taste. Salt-fermented anchovy extracts enhanced saltiness and sweetness together with enhancement of umami taste, but suppressed pungency and sourness. As the result of one-way analysis of correlation with the above tastes of spices and kimchi, saltiness of NaCl had a significantly negative correlation with pungency, sourness, sweetness and umami taste, as -0.9857, -0.9878, -0.9847, -0.9076, respectively, and pungency of red pepper with sourness, sweetness, saltiness and umami taste, as -0.8353, -0.9316, -0.9020, -0.9901, respectively. This indicated that increase of pungency and saltiness of kimchi suppressed a overall taste of kimchi. In addition, umami taste had a significantly negative correlation with only pungency as -0.9823 and a significantly positive correlation with sweetness and saltiness, showing a different tendency with pungency and saltiness.
- Park KY. 1995. The nutritional evaluation and antimutagenic and anticancer effects of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 169-182.
- Lee IS, Park WS, Koo YJ, Kang KH. 1994. Changes in some characteristics of brined chinese cabbage of fall cultivars during storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 239-245.
- Ko YD, Kim HJ, Chun SS, Sung NK. 1994. Development of control system for kimchi fermentation and storage using refrigerator. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 199-203.
- Park WS, Lee IS, Han YS, Koo YJ. 1994. Kimchi preparation with brined chinese cabbage and seasoning mixture stored separately. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 231-238.
- Lee HO, Lee HJ, Woo SJ. 1994. Effect of cooked glutinous rice flour and soused shrimp on the changes of free amino acid, total vitamin C and ascorbic acid contents during kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 10: 225-231.
- Chung ME, Lee HJ, Woo SJ. 1994. Effect of soused shrimp and cooked glutinous rice flour on the changes of low molecular nitrogen compounds content during kimchi fermentation. Korean J Dietary Culture 9: 125-136.
- Lee JH, Yi HS. 1992. Effect of onion on kimchi fermentation ( I ). Korean J Soc Food Sci 8: 27-30.
- Cho Y, Yi JH. 1992. Effect of onion on kimchi fermentation (II). Korean J Soc Food Sci 8: 365-369.
- Song TH, Kim SS. 1991. A study on the effect of ginseng on eatable period and sensory characteristics of kimchi. Korean J Dietary Culture 6: 237-243.
- Cho Y, Rhee HS. 1979. A study on flavorous taste components in kimchis. Korean J Food Sci Technol 11: 26-32.
- Kang DH, Woo YS, Lee YK, Chung SY. 1983. Organic constituents in kimchis on free amino acids. Korean J Food Sci Nutr 12: 225-233.
- Oh YA, Kim SD. 1997. Changes in enzyme activities of salted Chinese cabbage and kimchi during salting and fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Nutr 26: 404-410.
- Oh JY, Hahn YS. 1999. Effect of NaCl concentration and fermentation temperature on the quality of mul-kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 421-426.
- Mheen TI, Kwon TW. 1984. Effect of temperature and salt concentration on kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 16: 443-449.
- Ku KH, Kang KO, Chang YS, Kim WJ. 1991. Effect of combined salts addition on physical and sensory properties of kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 123-128.
- Kim KO, Kim WH. 1994. Changes in properties of kimchi prepared with different kinds and levels of salted and fermented seafoods during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 324-330.
- Physicochemical and Sensory Characteristics of Baechu Kimchi using Spicy Hot Flavor Graded Hot Pepper Powder vol.30, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.1.022
- Quality Characteristics of Baechu Kimchi Prepared with Domestic and Imported Solar Salts during Storage vol.28, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.4.363
- Salt substitute effect of flavorings and intensity rating of beef soup in different test settings vol.19, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0203-y
- Quality and Preference Changes Red Sea Cucumber (Stichopus japonicus) Kimchi during Storage Period vol.55, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2011.071
- Pre-processed spice mix formulation and changes in its quality during storage vol.39, pp.6, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.05.004