- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Anticarcinogenic Responses of MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells to Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
식이성 Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)가 유선암 세포(MCF-7)에서의 항암효과에 미치는 영향
- 문희정 (성신여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이순재 (대구가톨릭대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 박수정 (성신여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 장유진 (성신여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이명숙 (대구가톨릭대학교 식품영양학과)
- Published : 2003.04.01
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is the mixture of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid (LA, C18:2
- Park SC, Oh SL, Lee MS. 1998. Korean status of alcoholics and alcohol related health problems. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 170s-172s.
- Korean National Statistical Office. 2000. Annual Report on the Cause of Death Statistics.
- Pitot HC, Sirica AE. 1980. The stages of initiation and promotion in hepatocarcinogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta 605: 191-215.
- Pariza MW, Aeschbacher HU, Felton JS, Sato S. 1990. Mutagens and carcinogens in the diet. Progress in Clinical and Biological Research 347: 217-221.
- Prasad K, Meyskens FL. 1990. Nutrients and cancer prevention. Human press, Clifton, NJ.
- Kim SH, Kim JO, Lee SH, Park KY, Chung HY. 1991. Antimutagenic compounds identified from the chloroform fraction of garlic (Allium sativum). J Korean Soc Food Nutr 20: 253-259.
- Ha YL, Pariza MW. 1990. Anticarcinogenic conjugated derivatives of linoleic acid found in grilled ground beef: isolation, identification, and mechanism of action. In First Korean Conference on Science and Technology. Korean Fed Sci Assoc, Seoul, Korea. p 442.
- Ha YL, Storkson JM, Pariza MW. 1990. Inhibition of benzos [a]pyrene-induced mouse forestomach neoplasia by conjugated dienoic derivatives of linoleic acid. Cancer Res 50: 1097-1011.
- Pariza MW, Ha YL. 1990. Conjugated dienoic derivatives of linoleic acid: A new class of anticarcinogens. Med Oncol Tumor Phamacother 7: 169-171.
- Pariza MW, Ha YL. 1990. Conjugated dienoic derivatives of linoleic acid: Mechanism of anticarcinogenic effect. In Mutagens and carcinogens in the diet. Pariza MW, Aeschbacher HU, Felton JS, Sato S, eds. WilleyLiss, Inc., New York. p 217.
- Park HS. 2000. Mechanism of cancer prevention and other physiological function by CLA. Korean J Nutrition 33: 556-565.
- Ip C, Shin M, Thompson HJ, Scimeca JA. 1994. Conjugated linoleic acid suppresses mammary carcinogenesis and proliferative activity of the mammary gland in the rat. Cancer Res 54: 1212-1215.
- Ip C, Chin SF, Scimeca JA, Pariza MW. 1991. Mammary cancer prevention by conjugated dienoic derivative of linoleic acid. Cancer Res 51: 6118-6124.
- Visonneau S, Cesano A, Tepper SA, Scimeca JUA, Santoli D, Kritchevsky D. 1997. Conjugated linoleic acid suppresses the growth of human breast adenocarcinoma cells in SCID mice. Anticancer Res 17: 969-974. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.cad.0000224446.31577.df
- Ip C, Carter CA, Ip MM. 1985. Requirement of essential fatty acid for mammary tumorigenesis. Cancer Res 45: 1997-2000.
- Diane CC, Lisa YH, Terry DS. 1997. Proliferative responses of normal human mammary and MCF-7 breast cancer cells to linoleic acid, conjugated linoleic acid and eicosanoid synthesis inhibitors in culture. Anticancer Res 17: 197-204.
- Shultz TD, Chew BP, Seaman WR. 1992. Differential stimulatory and inhibitory response of human MCF-7 breast cancer cells to linoleic acid and conjugated linoleic acid in culture. Anticancer Res 12: 2143-2146.
- Ip C, Juang C, Thompson HJ, Scimeca JA. 1997. Retention of conjugated linoleic acid in the mammary gland is associated with tumor inhibition during the post-initiation phase on carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 18: 755-759. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.4.755
- Vijayender RD, Gabriel F. 1997. The growth inhibitory effect of conjugated linoleic acid on MCF-7 cells is released to estrogen response system. Cancer Lett 116: 121-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(82)90052-0
- Van den Berg JJM, Cook NE, Tribble DL. 1995. Reinvestigation of the antioxidant properties of conjugated linoleic acid. Lipid 30: 599-605. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02536996
- Banni S, Angioni E, Contini MS, Carta G, Casu V, Iengo GA, Melis MP, Diana M, Dessi MA, Corongiu FP. 1998. Conjugated linoleic acid and oxidative stress. J Am Oil Chem Soc 75: 261-267. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-998-0040-9
- Lee MS. 2000. Apolipoprotein metabolism. Hyoil Co., Seoul. p 265-295.
- Alfthan G, Aro A, Arvilommi H, Huttunen JK. 1991. Selenium metabolism and platelet glutathione peroxidase activity in healthy Finnish men: effects of selenium yeast, selenite and selenate. Am J Clin Nutr 53: 120-125. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/53.1.120
- Vane JR, Mitchell JA, Appleton I, Tomlinson A, Bailey DB, Croxtall J, Willoughby DA. 1994. Inducible isoforms of cyclooxygenase and nitric oxide synthase in inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 2046-2050. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.6.2046
- Kai-Li L, Martha AB. 1998. Conjugated linoleic acid reduces arachidonic acid content and PGE2 synthesis in murine keratinocytes. Cancer Letters 127: 15-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00479-5
- Scudiero DA, Shoemaker RH, Paull KD, Monks A, Tierney S, Nofziger TH, Currens MJ, Seniff D, Boyd MR. 1988. Evaluation of a soluble tetrazolium/formazan assay for cell growth and drug sensitivity in culture using human and other tumor cell lines. Cancer Res 48: 4827-33.
- Van Grembrock MMJ, Voorhout WF, Erkelen DW, van Meer G, de Braun TAW. 1995. Palmitic acid and linoleic acid metabolism in Caco-2 cells; different triglyceride synthesis and lipoprotein secretion. J Lipid Res 36: 13-24.
- Folch J, Lees M, Shoane-Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolatioon and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J Biol Chem 226: 497-509.
- Packer L, Smith J. 1974. Extension of the lifespan of cultured human diploid cells by vitamin E. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 71: 4763-4767. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.71.12.4763
- Cavanagh EMV, Inserra F, Ferder L, Romano L, Ercole L, Fraga CG. 1996. Superoxide dismutase and glutathione per-oxidase activities are increased by enalapril and captopril in mouse liver. FEBS Lett 361: 21-24.
- Carlberg I, Mennervick B. 1985. Glutathione reductase. Meth Enzymol 113: 484-450.
- McCord JM, Fridovich I. 1969. Superoxide dismutase-An enzymatic function for erythrocuperin (hemocuperin). J Biol Chem 224: 6049-6055.
- Kim WK. 1997. Efffect of different sources of dietary n-3 fatty acids on immune response and eicosanoids production. J Korean Soc Fooc Sci Nutr 26: 697-703.
Yang JA, Kim SO, Choi JH, Kwag OG, Rhee SJ, Chang HW. 1998. Activities of phospholipase
$A_2$and cyclooxygenase, and syntheses of thromboxane and prostacyclin in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. J Korean Soc Fooc Sci Nutr 27: 175-181.
- Bradford MM. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Rose DP, Connolly JM. 1989. Stimulation of growth of human breast cancer cell lines in culture by linoleic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 164: 277-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(89)91714-2
- Martha A, Anna KS. 1997. Conjugated linoleic acid modulates hepatic lipid composition in mice. Lipids 32: 199-204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-997-0025-0
- Cook ME, Miller CC, Park Y, Pariza M. 1993. Immune modulation by altered nutrient metabolism: Nutritional control of immune-induced growth depression. Poultry Sci 72: 1301-1305. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0721301
- John JT, Young L, Ingrid AS, Ken GDA, Bruce AW. 1998. Modulation of macrophage cytokine production by conjugated linoleic acids is influenced by the dietary n-6 : n-3 fatty acid ratio. J Nutr Biochem 9: 258-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(98)00014-X
- Ip C, Stephanie PB, Alvert DH, Henry JT, Jayne S, Joseph AS. 1996. The efficiency of conjugated linoleic acid in mammary cancer prevention is independent of the level or type of fat in the diet. Carcinogenesis 17: 1045-1050. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/17.5.1045
- Hartley JA, Gibson NW, Qwelling LA, Yuspa SH. 1985. The association of DNA strand breaks with accelerated terminal differentiation in mouse epidermal cells exposed to tumor promoters. Cancer Res 45: 4864-4871.
- Song HJ, Park HS. 1999. Effect of conjugate linoleic acid on hepatic peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme system in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-treated rats. MS Thesis. Kyunghee University.
- Kwon SY, Lee MS. 2000. The effect of feeding conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) on antioxidant enzymes system in S.D. rats. MS Thesis. Sungshin Women's University.
- Helen C, Rosaleen D, Catherine S, Feragal L. 1998. The effect of a conjugated linoleic acid on superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase in oxidatively-challenged liver cells. Biochemical Society Transactions S62: 26.
- Marianne O, Catherine S, Rosaleen D. 1999. Antioxidant enzyme defence responses of human MCF-7 and SW480 cancer cell to conjugated linoleic acid. Cancer Res 19: 1953-1960.
- Sebedio JL, Juaneda P, Dobson G, Ramilison I, Martin JC, Chardigny JM, Christie WW. 1997. Metabolites of conjugated isomers of linoleic acid (CLA) in the rat. Biochim Biophys Acta 1345: 5-10.
Claudine JK, Kai-Li L, Martha AB. 1999. Effect of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on phorbol ester-induced
$PGE_2$production and hyperplasia in mouse epidermis. Nutrition and Cancer 33: 132-138. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327914NC330203
- Anne T, Gerald M, Jack YV. 1999. Antiplatelet effects of conjugated linoleic acid isomers. Biochim Biophys Acta 1438: 239-246 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1388-1981(99)00055-4
- Abou-EI-Ela SH, Prasse KW, Carroll R, Wade AE, Dharwadkar S, Bounce OR. 1988. Eicosanoid synthesis in 7, 12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced mammary adenocarcinomas in Sprague-Dawley rats fed primrose oil, menhaden oil or corn oil diet. Lipid 23: 948-954. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02536342