- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Long Term Effect of Buchu (Chinese chives) Diet on ROS Formation in the Liver and Skin Tissue of ICR mice
장기간의 부추식이가 ICR 마우스의 간과 피부조직의 활성산소종 생성에 미치는 영향
- Published : 2003.04.01
To investigate the long term effect of buchu (Chinese chives) diet on ROS formation in the liver and stin tissue of ICR mice, one of control, 2% or 5% buchu-added diet was fed to ICR mice for 12 months. Superoxide anion (O2ㆍ), hydrogen peroxide(
- Aust SD, Chignell, CF, Bray TM, Kalyanaraman B, Mason RP. 1993. Free radicals in toxicology. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 120: 168-178. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.1993.1100
- Freeman BA, Crapo JD. 1982. Biology of disease: Free radicals and tissue injury. Laboratory Investigation; a Journal of Technical Methods and Pathology 47: 412-426.
- Halliwell B. 2001. Role of free radicals in the neurodegenerative diseases: therapeutic implications for antioxidant treatment. Drugs & Aging 18: 685-716. https://doi.org/10.2165/00002512-200118090-00004
- Andrew PW. 2001. Ageing and the free radical theory. Respiration Physiology 128: 379-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-5687(01)00313-9
- Borek C. 2001. Antioxidant health effects of aged garlic extract. The Journal of Nutrition 131: 1010S-1015S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.3.1010S
- Kuresh AY, James AJ. 2001. A possible emerging role of phytochemicals in improving age-related neurological dysfunctions: A multiplicity of effects. Free Radical Biology & Medcine 30: 583-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(00)00510-4
- Anatol K, Ulrike M, Sonke A, Amaar U, Charlotte L, Tomas MT, Ulrike B. 2001. Influence of vitamin E and C supplementation on lipoprotein oxidation in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 31: 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00595-0
- Rakesh PP, Brenda JB, Jack HC, Neil H, Marion K, Balaraman K, Dale AP, Stephen B, Victor DU. 2001. Antioxidant mechanisms of isoflavones in lipid systems: paradoxical effects of peroxyl radical scavenging. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 31: 1570-1581. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00737-7
- Mortensen A, Skibsted LH, Sampson J, Rice-Evans C, Everett, SA. 1997. Comparative mechanisms and rates of free radical scavenging by carotenoid antioxidants. FEBS Letters 418: 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(97)01355-0
Yamaguchi F, Yoshimura Y, Nakazawa H, Ariga T. 1999. Free radical scavenging activity of grape seed extract and antioxidants by electron spin resonance spectrometry in an
$H_2O_2$/NaOH/DMSO system. J Agric Food Chem 47: 2544-2548. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9806762
- Kwak YJ, Chun HJ, Kim JS. 1998. Chlorophyll, mineral contents and SOD-like activities of leeks harvested at different times. Kor J Soc Food Sci 14: 513-515.
- Hwang CW, Shin HK, Do MS, Kim YJ, Park JH, Choi YS, Joo WH. 2001. The various biofunctional effects (anticarcinogenic, antioxidative and lypolytic activity) of Pohang buchu. Kor J Food Sci Tech 33: 279-281.
- Lee MJ, Ryu BM, Lee YS, Moon GS. 2002. Effect of long term buchu (Chinese chives) diet on antioxidative system of ICR mice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 834-839. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.834
- Lee MJ, Ryu BM, Kim MH, Lee YS, Moon GS. 2002. Protective effect of diet buchu (Chinese chives) against oxidative damage from aging and ultraviolet irradiation in ICR mice skin. Nutraceuticals & Food 7: 238-244. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2002.7.3.238
- AOAC. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th ed. Association of official analytical chemists, Washington DC. p 31.
- Choi JH, Kim DI, Park SH, Kim DW, Lee JS, Kim HS. 1999. Investigation of anti-aging effect and determination of chemical structures of pine needle extract (PNE) through the animal experiments. 1. Effects of PNE on oxygen raticals and their scavenger enzymes in liver of SD rats. Korean J Life Science 9: 466-472.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951. Protein determination with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Auclair C, Prost D, Hakim J. 1978. Superoxide anion production by liver microsomes from phenobarbital treated rat. Biochemical Pharmacology 27: 355-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(78)90240-X
- Lavie L, Weinreb O, Gershon D. 1992. Age-related alterations in superoxide anion generation in mouse peritoneal macrophages studied by repeated stimulations and heat shock treatment. J Cellular Physiology 152: 382-388. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.1041520220
- William CO, Rajindar SS. 2003. Does overexpression of Cu, Zn-SOD extend life span in Drosophila melanogaster? Experimental Gerontology 38: 227-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0531-5565(02)00263-2
- Tatsuo N, Takashi W, Yusaku N, Kazuo Y. 2002. Mutagenic target for hydroxyl radicals generated in Escherichia coli mutant deficient in Mn-and Fe-superoxide dismutases and Fur, a repressor for iron-uptake systems. DNA Repair 1: 411-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1568-7864(02)00014-9
- Harman D. 1984. Free radical theory of aging: The free radical disease. Aging 7: 111-131.
- Waring WS, Webb DJ, Maxwell SR. 2001. Systemic uric acid administration increases serum antioxidant capacity in healthy volunteers. J Cardiovascular Pharmacology 38: 365-371. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005344-200109000-00005
- Yen GC, Chung DY. 1999. Antioxidant effects of extracts from Cassia tora L. prepared under different degrees of roasting on the oxidative damage to biomolecules. J Agric Food Chem 47: 1326-1332. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9810618
- Burkitt MJ, Duncan J. 2000. Effects of trans-resveratrol on copper-dependent hydroxyl-radical formation and DNA damage: evidence for hydroxyl-radical scavenging and a novel, glutathione-sparing mechanism of action. Arch Biochem Biophy 381: 253-263. https://doi.org/10.1006/abbi.2000.1973
- Burkitt MJ, Milne L. 1996. Hydroxyl radical formation from Cu(II)-trolox mixtures: insights into the pro-oxidant properties of alpha-tocopherol. FEBS Letters 379: 51-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(95)01481-0
- Fang YZ, Yang S, Wu G. 2002. Free radicals, antioxidants, and nutrition. Nutrition 18: 872-879. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(02)00916-4
- Zhao BL, Li XJ, He RG, Cheng SJ, Xin WJ. 1989. Scavenging effect of extracts of green tea and natural antioxidants on active oxygen radicals. Cell Biophysics 14: 175-185. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02797132
- Chung FL, Juchatz A, Vitarius J, Reiss B, Hecht SS. 1984. Inhibition of target tissue activation of N'-nitrosonornicotine and N-nitrosopyrrolidine by dietary components. IARC Scientific Publications 57: 797-804.
- The Effect of Taekwondo and Allium Tuberosum Intake on Body Composition, Blood Lipids and C-Reactive Protein vol.21, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.2.265
- Effects of Aerobic Exercise and a Protein Diet on Serum Lipid Profiles, Liver Function, and Immunoglobulin in Rats vol.22, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.1.92
- The Effect of Aerobic Exercise and Allium Tuberosum Intake on Blood Lipids, MDA and Antioxidant Enzyme in Rats vol.20, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.2.245
- Protective Effect of Dietary Buchu (Allium tuberosum Rottler) on Oxidative Stress and Lipofuscin Formation in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats vol.32, pp.8, 2003, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.8.1337
- Effect of Different Kimchi Diets on Oxidation and Photooxidation in Liver and Skin of Hairless Mice vol.33, pp.2, 2004, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.2.291