- Volume 32 Issue 3
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of high amylose corn starch consumption on plasma, liver and feces lipid profiles and immune responses in male Sprague-Dawley rats. Experimental animals were fed on diets containing the high amylose starch (HAS,0, 125, 250,500 g/kg diet) for 4 weeks. HAS intake did not affect on food intakes and food efficiency ratio. Final body weights were lowered in HA100 group than in control group. HAS intakes dose dependently increased the weights of cecum and excretion of feces per day, and decreased the pH of cecum contents. And HAS intakes significantly decreased the plasma total lipid, triglyceride and total cholesterol levels. But there were not significant differences total lipid, triglyceride and cholesterol concentrations in liver. The absolute and relative weights of thymus and spleen, plasma Is G and
- Asp NG. 1997. Resistant starch--an update on its physiological effects. Adv Exp Med Biol 427: 201-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-5967-2_21
- Marteau P, Flourie B. 2001. Tolerance to low-digestible carbohydrates: symptomatology and methods. Brit J Nutr 85 (suppl 1): S17-S21. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2000258
- Murphy O. 2001. Non-polyol low-digestable carbohydrates: food applications and functional benefits. Brit J Nutr 85 (suppl 1): S47-S53. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2000261
- Nuir JG, Birkett A, Brown I, Jones G, O'Dea K. 1995. Food processing and maize variety affects of starch escaping digestion in the small intestine. Am J Clin Nutr 61: 82-89. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/61.1.82
- Behall KM, Howe JC. 1996. Resistant starch as energy. J Am Coll Nutr 15: 248-254. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.1996.10718595
- Englyst HN, Trowell H, Southgate DAT, Cummings JH. 1987. Dietary fiber and resistant starch. Am J Clin Nutr 46: 873-874. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/46.6.873
- Haralampu SG. 2000. Resistant starch-a review of physical properties and biological impact of RS3. Carbohydrate polymers 41: 285-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8617(99)00147-2
- Tovar J, Björck I, Asp NG. 1992. Starch content and alphaamylolysis rate in precooked legume flours. J Agric Chem 38: 1818-1823. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00099a007
- Sievert D, Pomeranz Y. 1989. Enzyme-resistant starch I. Characterization and evaluation by enzymatic, thermoanalytical and microscopic methods. Cereal Chem 66: 342-347.
- Englyst HN, Kingman SM, Cummings JH. 1992. Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. Eur J Clin Nutr 46 (suppl 2): S30-S50.
- Behall KM, Howe JC, Anderson RA. 2002. Apparent mineral retention is similar in control and hyperinsulinemic men after consumption of high amylose cornstarch. J Nutr 132: 1886-891. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.7.1886
- Tatsuya M, Seiichi K, Koji H, Shuhachi K. 1999. Psyllium shifts the fermentation site of high amylose cornstarch toward the distal colon and increase fecal butyrate concentration in rats. J Nutr 129: 2081-2087. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.11.2081
- Kabir M, Rizkalla SW, Champ M, Luo J, Boilloy J, Bruzzo F, Slama G. 1998. Dietary amylose-amylopectin starch content affects glucose and lipid metabolism in adipocytes of normal and diabetic rats. J Nutr 128: 35-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.1.35
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC Jr. 1993. AIN-93 Purified Diets for Laboratory Rodents: Final Report of the American Institute of Nutrition Ad Hoc Writing Committee on the Reformulation of the AIN-76A Rodent Diet. J Nutr 123: 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Total dietary fiber in food, enzymatic-gravimetric method. The association of official analytical chemists, Washington DC, USA. p 1105-1106.
- Chen HL, Lu YH, Lin J, Ko LY. 2000. Effects of fructooligosaccharide on bowel function and indicators of nutritional status in constipated elderly men. Nutr Res 12: 1725-1733.
- Folch JM, Lees G, Stanley HS. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Bio Chem 223: 497-509.
- Zak B. 1968. Total and free cholesterol. In Standard method chemistry. Acad Press, NY. p 79-89.
- Sternberg JC. 1977. A rate nephelometer for measuring specific proteins by immunoprecipitate reaction. Clin Chem 23: 1456-1464.
- Topping DL, Gooden JM, Brown IL, Biebrick DA, McGrath L, Trimble RP, Choct M, Illman RJ. 1997. A high amylose (Amylomaize) starch raises proximal large bowel starch and increases colon length in pig. J Nutr 127: 615-622 https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.4.615
- Schrijver R, Vanhoof KM, Vande GJ. 1999. Nutrient utilization in rats and pigs fed enzyme resistant starch. Nutr Res 19: 1349-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(99)00092-5
- Ranhotra GS, Gelroth JA, Glaser BK. 1996. Energy value of resistant starch. J Food Sci 61: 453-455. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb14215.x
- Morita T, Kasaoka S, Hase K, Kiriyama S. 1999. Psyllium shifts the fermentation site of high amylose cornstarch toward the distal colon and increases fecal butyrate concentration in rats. J Nutr 129: 2081-2087. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.11.2081
- Ferguson LR, Jones CT, Englyst H, Harris PJ. 2000. Comparative effects of three resistant starch preparations on transit time and short chain fatty acid production in rats. Nutr Cancer 36: 230-237. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327914NC3602_13
- Phillips J, Muir J, Birkett A, Lu ZX, Jones GP, O'Dea K. Young GP. 1995. Effect of resistant starch on fecal bulk and fermentation dependent events in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 62: 121-130. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/62.1.121
- Wang X, Brown IL, Khaled D, Mahony MC, Evans AJ, Conway PL. 2002. Manipulation of colonic bacteria and volatile fatty acid production by dietary high amylose maize (amylomaze) starch granules. J Appl Microbiol 93: 390-397. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2002.01704.x
- Noakes M, Clifton PM, Nestel PJ, Le Leu R, Mclintosh G. 1996. Effect of high amylose starch and oat bran on metabolic variables and bowel function in subjects with hyperglyceridemia. Am J Clin Nutr 64: 944-951. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/64.6.944
Heijen MLA, van Amelsvoort JMM, Deurenberg P, Beynen AC. 1998. Limited effect of consumption of uncooked
$(RS_2)$or retrograded $(RS_3)$resistant starch on putative risk factors for colon cancer in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr 67: 322-331. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/67.2.322
- Ranhotra GS, Gelroth JA, Leinen SD. 1997. Hypolipidemic effects of resistant starch in hamsters is not dose dependent. Nutr Res 17: 317-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(96)00261-8
- Younes H, Levrat M, Demigne C, Remest C. 1995. Resistant starch is more effective than cholestyramine as a lipid-lowering agent in the rats. Lipids 30: 847-853. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02533961
- Jeong MK, Kim MH, Kang NE, Kim WK. 2002. Effects of resistant starch on gut functions and plasma lipid profiles in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 271-276. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.271
- Lopez HW, Levrat-verny MA, Coudray C, Besson C, Krespine V, Messager A, Demigne C. 2001. Class 2 resistant starches lower plasma and liver lipids and improve mineral retention in rats. J Nutr 131: 1283-1289. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.4.1283
- Vanhoof K, Schrijver R. 1997. Consumption of enzyme resistant starch and cholesterol metabolism in normo-and hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutr Res 17: 1331-1340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(97)00117-6
- Reiser S, Powell AS, Scholfield DJ, Panda P, Ellwood KC, Canary JJ. 1989. Blood lipids, lipoproteins, apoproteins and uric aicd in men fed diets containing high fructose or high amylose cornstarch. Am J Clin Nutr 49: 832-839. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/49.5.832
- Marchini SJ, Faisant N, Champ M, Ranganathan S, Azoulay C, Kergueris MF, Piloquet H, Michel K. 1998. Effects of an acute raw resistant potato starch supplement on postprandial glycemia, insulinemia, lipemia in healthy adults. Nutr Res 18: 1135-1145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(98)00095-5
- Morand C, Levart MA, Besson C, Demigne C, Remesy C. 1994. Effects of diet rich in resistant starch on hepatic lipid metabolism in rats. J Nutr Biochem 5: 138-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(94)90085-X
- Chezem J, Furumoto E, Story J. 1997. Effects of resistant potato starch on cholesterol and bile acid metabolism in the rat. Nutr Res 17: 1671-1682. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(97)00174-7
- Abadie C, Hug M, Kubi C, Gains N. 1994. Effect of cyclodextrins and undigested starch on the loss of chenodeoxycholate in the faces. Biochem J 299: 725-730. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2990725
- Chen WJL, Anderson JW, Jennings D. 1984. Propionate may mediate the hypocholesterolemic effects of certain soluble plant fibers in cholesterol fed rats. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 175: 215-218. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-175-41791
- Hylla S, Gostner A, Dusel C, Anger H, Bartran HP, Christl SU, Kasper H, Scheppach W. 1998. Effects of resistant starch on the colon in healthy volunteers; possible implications for cancer prevention. Am J Clin Nutr 67: 137-142.
- Vanhoof K, De Schrijver R. 1998. The influence of enzymeresistant starch on cholesterol metabolism in rats fed on conventional diet. Br J Nutr 80: 193-198.
- Fernandez ML, Roy S, Vergara-Jimenez M. 2000. Resistant starch and cholestyramine have distinct effects on hepatic cholesterol metabolism in guinea pigs fed a hypercholesterolemic diet. Nutr Res 20: 837-849. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(00)00170-6
- Kurita-Ochiai T, Fukushima K, Ochiai K. 1995. Volatile fatty acids, metabolic by-products of periodontopathic bacteria, inhibit lymphocyte proliferation and cytokine production. J Dent Res 74: 1367-1373. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740070801
- Eftimiadi C, Stashenko P, Tonetti M, Mangiante PE, Massara R, Zupo S, Ferrarini M. 1991. Divergent effect of the anaerobic bacteria by-product butyric acid on the immune response: suppression of T-lymphocyte proliferation and stimulation of interleukin-1 beta production. Oral Microbiol Immunol 6: 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-302X.1991.tb00446.x
- Kurita-Ochiai T, Ochiai K, Fukushima K. 1998. Volatile fatty acid, metabolic by-product of periodontopathic bacteria, induces apoptosis in WEHI 231 and RAJI B lymphoma cells and splenic B cells. Infect Immun 66: 2587-2594.
- Kudoh K, Shimizu J, Wada M, Takita T, Kanke Y, Innami S. 1998. Effect of indigestible saccharides on B lymphocyte response of intestinal mucosa and cecal fermentation in rats. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 44: 103-112. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.44.103
- Lom BO, Yamada K, Nonaka M, Kuramato Y, Hung P, Sugano M. 1997. Dietary fibers modulate indices of intestinal immune function in rats. J Nutr 127: 663-667. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.5.663
- Physicochemical Properties of Rice-based Expanded Snacks according to Extrusion Conditions vol.43, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.9.1407
- The effect of chemically-modified resistant starch, RS type-4, on body weight and blood lipid profiles of high fat diet-induced obese mice vol.64, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1002/star.201100057
- Effects of Agarum cribrosum on the Improvements in Treating Constipation and Plasma lipid Profiles vol.29, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.2.185
- Effect of Resistant Starch on the Large Bowel Environment and Plasma Lipid in Rats with Loperamide-Induced Constipation vol.39, pp.5, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.5.684