- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Leaf Extracts on Hepatic Antioxidative System in Rats fed High Cholesterol Diet
고콜레스테롤 흰쥐의 간조직 항산화효소계에 미치는 민들레잎 추출물의 영향
- 조수열 (영남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 오연진 (영남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 박지윤 (영남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이미경 (경북대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김명주 (대구산업정보대학 식품영양과)
- Published : 2003.04.01
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of dandelion leaf (Taraxacum officinale) extracts on hepatic antioxidative system in high cholesterol-fed rats. Four groups of rats were given high cholesterol diets containing 10 g cholesterol/kg and 2.5 g sodium cholate/kg for 6 weeks. The control group received a diet without dandelion leaf extract and the other three groups received dandelion leaf extracts, ie, water, ethyl acetate and ether extracts, respectively. There were no significant difference in cytochrome P-450 contents among four groups. Hepatic xanthine oxidase activity was significantly lower in water extract group than the other three groups. Superoxide dismutase activity was significantly lower in three dandelion leaf extract groups, but catalase activity was significantly higher in three dandelion leaf extract groups than control group. Glutathione peroxidase and glutathione S-transferase activities were significantly increased in water extract group than control group. Lipid peroxide content was decreased in water extract group than control group.
- Kang MH. 1999. Dietary defatted sesame flour decreases susceptibility to oxidative stress in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. J Nutr 129: 1885-1890. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.10.1885
- Dietschy JM. 1998. Dietary fatty acids and the regulation of plasma low density lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations. J Nutr 128: 444S-448S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.2.444S
- Brunet S. 2000. Modulation of endoplasmic reticulum-bound cholesterol regulatory enzymes by iron/ascorbate-mediated lipid peroxisation. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 28: 46-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(99)00197-5
- Dwyer J. 1995. Overview: dietary approaches for reducing cardiovascular disease risks. J Nutr 125: 656S-665S.
- Kim YG, Kim YP. 1997. Free radical. YeoMoonGak, Seoul.
- Vison JA, Hontz BA. 1984. Phenol antioxidative index: Comparative antioxidant effectiveness of red and white wines. J Agric Food Chem 43: 401-403.
- Kim KH, Chun HJ, Han YS. 1998. Screening of antimicrobial activity of the dandelion (Taraxacum platycarpum) extracts. Korean J Soc Food Sci 44: 114-118.
- Yang KS, Jeon CM. 1996. Effect of Taraxacum coreanum Nakai on low density lipoprotein oxidation. Korean J Pharmacogn 27: 267-273.
- Jeong JY, Chung YB, Lee CC, Park SW, Lee CK. 1991. Studies on immunopotentiating activities of antitumor polysaccharide from aerial parts of Taraxacum platycarpum. Arch Pharm Res 14: 68-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02857817
- Williams CA, Goldstone F, Greenham J. 1996. Flavonoids, cinnamic acids and coumarins from the different tissues and medical preparations of Taraxacum officinale. Phytochemistry 42: 121-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(95)00865-9
- Takasaki M, Konoshima T, Tokuda H, Masuda K, Arai Y, Shiojima K, Ageta H. 1999. Anti-carcinogenic activity of Taraxacum plant. II. Biol Pharm Bull 22: 606-610. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.22.606
- Shin SR. 1999. Studies on the nutritional components of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale). Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 495-499.
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC. 1993. AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodents: final report of the American Institute of Nutrition Ad Hoc Writing Committee on the Reformulation of the AIN-76A Rodent Diet. J Nutr 123: 1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951. Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Omura T, Sato R. 1964. The carbon monoxide-binding pigment of liver microsomes. I. Evidence for its hemoprotein nature. J Biol Chem 239: 2370-2378.
- Omura T, Sato R. 1964. The carbon monoxide-binding pigment of liver microsomes. II. Solubilization, purification and properties. J Biol Chem 239: 2379-2385.
- Stripe F, Della CE. 1969. The regulation of rat liver xanthine oxidase: Conversion in vitro of the enzyme activity from dehydrogenase (Type D) to oxidase (Type O). J Biol Chem 244: 3855-3863.
- Marklund S, Marklund G. 1974. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autooxidation of pyrogallol & a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem 47: 469-474. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1974.tb03714.x
- Aebi H. 1974. Catalase. In Methods of enzymetic analysis. Bergmeyer HU, ed. Academic press, New York. Vol 2, p 673.
- Paglia ED, Valentine WN. 1967. Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocytes glutathione peroxidase. J Lab Clin Med 70: 158-169.
- Habig WH, Pabist MJ, Jakoby WB. 1974. Glutathione Stransferase: The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249: 7130-7139.
- Ellman GL. 1959. Tissue sulfhydryl group. Arch Biochem Biophy 82: 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(59)90090-6
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yaki K. 1979. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 95: 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Snedecor GW, Gochrane WG. 1967. Statistical methods. 6th ed. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa. Chapter 7, p 1.
- Tsutomu N, Hiramitsu M, Osawa T, Kawakishi S. 1993. The protective of gallic acid ester in bacterial cytotoxicity and SOS responses induced by hydrogen peroxide. Mutation Res 303: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7992(93)90005-G
- Hayashi T, Sawa K, Kawasaki M, Arisawa M, Shimizu M, Morita M. 1988. Inhibition of cow's milk xanthine oxidase by flavonoids. J Natural Products 51: 345-348. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50056a030
- Hatano T, Yashimura T, Yoshihara R, Okuda T. 1991. Inhibitory effects of galloylated flavonoids on xanthine oxidase. Plant Med 57: 83-84. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-960028
- Noro T, Oda Y, Miyase T, Ueno A, Fukushima S. 1983. Inhibitors of xanthine oxidase from the flowers and buds of Daphne genkwa. Chem Pharm Bull 31: 3984-3987. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.31.3984
- Yeo SG, Park YB, Kim IS, Kim SB, Park YH. 1995. Inhibition of xanthine oxidase by tea extracts from green tea, oolong tea and black tea. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 154-159.
- Kang YH, Park YK, Ha TY, Moon KD. 1996. Effects of pine needle extracts on enzyme activities of serum and liver and liver morphology in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 25: 374-378.
- Fritche K, Johnston PV. 1988. Rapid autooxidation of fish oil in diets without added antioxidants. J Nutr 118: 425-426. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/118.4.425
- Geeta S, Ravindra N, Kiran DG. 1991. Effect of ethanol on Cd-induced lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in rat liver. Biochem Pharmacology 42: S9-S16. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(91)90386-J
- Shim KH, Young HS, Lee TW, Choi JS. 1995. Studies on the chemical components and antioxidaitve effect of Solanum lyratum Thunb. Kor J Pharmacogn 26: 130-138.
- Adams Jr JD, Lauerberg BH, Mitchell JR. 1983. Plasma glutathione and glutathione disulfide in rat: Regulation and response to oxidative stress. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 227: 749-754.
- Connye K, Barbara CP. 1991. Changes in colonic antioxidant status in rats during long-term feeding of different high fat diets. J Nutr 121: 1562-1569. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.10.1562
- Park JC, Choi JS, Choi JW. 1995. Effects of the fractions from the leaves, fruits, stems and roots of Cudrania tricuspidata and flavonoids on lipid peroxidation. Kor J Phamnacogn 26: 377-384.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. 1984. Oxygen toxicity, oxygen radicals, transition metals and disease. Biochem J 219: 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2190001
- Sung IS, Park EM, Lee MK, Han EK, Jang JY, Cho SY. 1997. Effect of acorn extracts on the antioxidantive enzyme system. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 494-500.
- Kim JH, Kim MK. 1999. Effect of dried leaf powders and ethanol extracts of perilla frutescens, artemisia prineps varr. Orientalis and aster scaber on lipid metabolism and antioxidative capacity in rats. Korean J Nutrition 32: 540-551.
- Effect of Hizikia fusiforme Extracts on Antioxidant Enzyme Activity and Vitamin E Concentration in Rats vol.40, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.11.1556
- Diverse biological activities of dandelion vol.70, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00509.x
- Effect of Red Garlic-Composites on the Fecal Lipid Level and Hepatic Antioxidant Enzyme Activity in Rats Fed a High Fat-Cholesterol Diet vol.42, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.1.017
- Reduction of Adipogenesis and Lipid Accumulation byTaraxacum officinale(Dandelion) Extracts in 3T3L1 Adipocytes: Anin vitroStudy vol.28, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.5059
- Hepatoprotective Activity of Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Water Extract against D-Galactosamine-Induced Hepatitis in Rats vol.37, pp.2, 2008, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.177
- Pancreatic lipase inhibitory activity of taraxacum officinale in vitro and in vivo vol.2, pp.4, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2008.2.4.200
- The anti-inflammatory effect of Taraxacum coreanum on lipopolysaccharide induced inflammatory response on RAW 264.7 cells vol.29, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2014.29.6.21.
- Taraxacum official (dandelion) leaf extract alleviates high-fat diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver vol.58, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2013.04.023
- Suppressive Effects of Ethyl Acetate Fraction from Green Tea Seed Coats on the Production of Cell Adhesion Molecules and Inflammatory Mediators in Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells vol.40, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.635
- Suppressive Effect of Green Tea Seed Coat Ethyl Acetate Fraction on Inflammation and Its Mechanism in RAW264.7 Macrophage Cell vol.40, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.625
- Protective Effects of Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.) Leaf Extract on Ethanol-Induced Liver Damage in Rats vol.28, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2017.28.4.537