- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Monascus koji on Blood Pressure and Serum Cholesterol Composition of SHR by Chronic Dietary Administration
홍국 장기투여가 SHR의 혈압 및 혈중 콜레스테롤 조성에 미치는 영향
- Published : 2003.04.01
The antihypertensive and cholesterol- lowering effects of Monascus koji (M. koji) prepared with Monascus ruber IFO32318 were examined in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR). Control was fed a normal diet and groups I, II or III were fed diets containing 0.03%, 0.1% or 0.3% M. koji for 8 weeks, respectively. After 8 weeks, all animals were fed normal diets in the following 2 weeks. The blood pressure of rats fed M. koji added diets were significantly attenuated as compared with control and the diet containing high concentration of M. koji had a tendency of stronger antihypertensive effect. These differences lasted throughout the experimental period when they were fed experimental diet. For 2 weeks after the 8 weeks of experimental diet all groups were fed the same normal diet and the differences of blood pressure caused by M. koji disappeared. In rats fed the M. koji added diet, the serum total cholesterol (TC), HDL cholesterol (HDL-C), LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) were not differed compared with control, but VLDL cholesterol (VLDL-C) was significantly lowered. M koji also significantly decreased serum risk factors, both TC/HDL-C ratio and non HDL-C/HDL-C ratio. Consequently, it is suggested that M. koji may play an important role to attenuate hypertension and to improve serum lipid Profiles.
- Endo A. 1985. Trends in Monascus koji and Monascus strains. Hako To Kogyo 43: 544-552.
- Endo A. 1979. Monacolin, a new hypocholesterolemic agent produced by a Monascus species. J Antibiotics 3: 852-854.
- Endo A. 1980. Monacolin K, a new hypocholesterolemic agent that specifically inhibits 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase. J Antibiotics 3: 334-336.
- Tsuji K, Ichikawa T, Tanabe N, Abe S, Tarui S, Nakagawa Y. 1992. Effects of two kinds of koji on blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Nippon Nogeikagaku Kaishi 66: 1241-1246. https://doi.org/10.1271/nogeikagaku1924.66.1241
Tsuji K, Ichikawa T, Tanabe N, Abe S, Tarui S, Nakagawa Y. 1992. Antihypertensive activities of beni-koji extracts and
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid in spontaneously hyeprtensive rats. Jpn J Nutr 50: 285-291. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.50.285
- Tsuji K, Ichikawa T, Tanabe N, Obata H, Abe S, Tarui S, Nakagawa Y. 1992. Effect of mycelial weight on hypotensive activity of beni-koji in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 39: 790-795. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.39.790
- Rhyu MR, Kim DK, Kim HY, Kim BK. 2000. Nitric oxidemediated endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat thoracic aorta induced by aqueous extract of red rice fermented with Monascus ruber. J Ethnopharm 70: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(99)00132-4
- Rhyu MR, Kim EY, Kim HY, Ahn BH, Yang CB. 2000. Characteristics of the red rice fermented with fungus Monascus. Food Sci Biotechnol 9: 21-26.
- American Institute of Nutrition. 1977. Report of the American Institute of Nutrition ad hoc committee on standards for nutritional studies J Nutr 107: 1340-1348. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/107.7.1340
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User's Guide. Cary, NC, USA.
Rhyu MR, Kim EY. 2002. The relation between antihypertensive effect and
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid, mycelial weight and pigment of Monascus. Kor J Food Sci Technol 34: 737-740.
- Rhyu MR, Kim EY, Han JS. 2002. Antihypertensive effect of the soybean paste fermented with the fungus Monascus. Int J Food Sci Technol 37: 585-588. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.2002.00599.x
- Rader DJ, Davidson MH, Caplan RJ, Pears JS. 2003. Lipid and apolipoprotein ratios: association with coronary artery disease and effects of rosuvastatin compared with atorvastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin. Am J Cardiol 91(suppl): 20C-24C https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(03)00005-5
- Endo A. 1979. Monacolin K, a new hypocholesterolemic agent produced by a Monascus species. J Antibiotics 32: 852-854. https://doi.org/10.7164/antibiotics.32.852
- Endo A. 1985. Compactin (ML-236B) and related compounds as potential cholesterol-lowering agents that inhibit HMGCoA reductase. J Medicinal Chem 28: 401-405. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm00382a001
- Kroon PA, Hand KM, Huff JW, Alberts AW. 1982. The effect of mevinolin on serum cholesterol levels of rabbits with endogenous hypercholesterolemia. Atherosclerosis 44: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(82)90051-X
- Arad Y, Ramakrishnan R, Ginsberg HN. 1990. Lovastatin therapy reduces low density lipoprotein apoB levels in subjects with combined hyperlipidemia by reducing the production of apoB-containing lipoproteins: implications for the pathophysiology of apoB production. J Lipid Res 31: 567-582.
- Effect of Diets with Red Yeast Sweet Potato Powder Supplement on Fecal Amount and Lipid Metabolism in Rats Fed a High-fat Diet vol.41, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.487
- The Effect of Rice with Aspergillus terreus on Lipid Metabolism in Rats vol.47, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.5.658
- Effect of Red Yeast (Monascus purpureus) Rice Supplemented Diet on Lipid Profiles and Antioxidant Activity in Hypercholesterolemic Rats vol.43, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.1.016