- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Psyllium Husk and Glucomannan on Serum Lipids, Fecal Fat Excretion and Body Fat in Rats Fed High-Fat Diet
차전자피와 글루코만난의 혼합 첨가가 고지방 식이를 한 흰쥐의 혈청지질과 변지방배설 및 체지방에 미치는 영향
- Published : 2003.04.01
This study was conducted to determine the effect of a mixture of two water-soluble dietary fibers, psyllium husk and glucomannan, on serum lipids, fecal fat excretion and body fat. Twenty one female Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly assigned into three groups (control, pair-fed control and test group) and fed a high saturated fat (20% lard) diet (control diet) or a test diet (psyllium husk and glucomannan added to the control diet at the level of 0.9% and 0.68%, respectively) for 8 weeks. Pair-fed control rats were allowed to eat the amount of diet consumed by test group the preceding day. The body weight gain and food efficiency ratio of test group were significantly lower compared with these of control group. The mean values of body weight gain and food efficiency ratio were lower in test group than in pair-fed control group, but the difference was not significant. There were no differences in food intake. The dry weight and water content of feces and fecal fat excretion were markedly greater in test group than in control groups. Serum total cholesterol and triacylglycerol levels were significantly lower in test group than in two control groups.1'he rats of two control groups had higher body fat contents than that of test group. These results indicate that the combination of the two water-soluble dietary fibers, psyllium husk and glucomannan, can be used as a potent lipid-lowering agent in individuals consuming high saturated fat diet.
- Grundy SM. 1998. Multifactorial causation of obesity: implications for prevention. Am J Clin Nutr 67 (suppl): 563s-572s. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/67.3.563S
- Oku T, Tokunaga T, Hosoya N. 1985. Neosugar-A fructooligosaccharide nonnutritive sweetener. Nutr Rev 43: 155-156. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.1985.tb06898.x
- Ide T, Okamatsu H, Sugano M. 1985. Regulation by dietary fats of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase in rat liver. J Nutr 108: 409-424.
- Chai YM, Rhee SJ. 2001. Effects of dietary oligosaccharide on the blood glucose and serum lipid composition in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 710-716.
- Lee KH, Park MA, Kim ES, Moon HK. 1994. A study on dietary fiber intakes of Korean. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 767-773.
- Lee HS, Lee YK, Seo YJ. 1994. Annual changes in the estimated dietary fiber intake of Korean during 1969-1990. Korean J Nutrition 27: 59-71.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2000. Recommended dietary allowances for Koreans. 7th Revision. Joongangmoonhwasa, Seoul.
- Lee MR. 1999. Physiological effects of sponge cakes containing oligosaccharides. MS Thesis. Chungnam National University, Korea. p 40-41.
- Cho JH. 2000. Effects of fructooligosaccharides and sponge cakes containing fructooligosaccharides on the rat's intestine and serum lipids. MS Thesis. Chungnam National University, Korea. p 25-26.
- Gallaher CM, Munion J, Hesslink R Jr, Wise J, Gallaher DD. 2000. Cholesterol reduction by glucomannan and chitosan is mediated by changes in cholesterol absorption and bile acid and fat excretion in rats. J Nutr 130: 2753-2759. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.11.2753
- Gelissen IC, Brodie B, Eastwood MA. 1994. Effect of plantago ovata (psyllium) husk and seeds on sterol metabolism: studies in normal and ileostomy subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 59: 395-400. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.2.395
- Anderson JW, Floore TL, Geil PB, O'Neal DS, Balm TK. 1991. Hypocholesterolemic effects of different bulk-forming hydrophilic fibers as adjuncts to dietary therapy in mild to moderate hypercholesterolemia. Arch Intern Med 151: 1597-1602. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.151.8.1597
- Walsh DE, Yaghoubian V, Behforooz A. 1984. Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study. Int J Obes 8: 289-293.
- Arvill A, Bodin L. 1995. Effect of short-term ingestion of konjac glucomannan on serum cholesterol in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr 61: 585-589. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/61.3.585
- Vido L, Facchin P, Antonello I, Gobber D, Rigon F. 1993. Childhood obesity treatment: double blinded trial on dietary fibers (glucomannan) versus placebo. Padiatr Padol 28: 133-136.
- Bligh EG, Dyer WJ. 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37: 911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Fiordaliso M, Kok N, Desager KP, Goethals F, Deboyser D, Roberfroid M, Delzenne N. 1995. Dietary oligofructose lowers triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol in serum and very low density lipoproteins of rats. Lipids 30: 163-167. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538270
- Hou YH, Zhang LS, Zhou HM, Wang RS, Zhang YZ. 1990. Influence of refined konjac meal on the levels of tissue lipids and the absorption of four minerals in rats. Biomed Environ Sci 3: 306-314.
- Vahouny GV, Khalafi R, Satchithanandam S, Watkins DW, Story JA, Cassidy MM, Kritchevsky D. 1987. Dietary fiber supplementation and fecal bile acid, neutral steroids and divalent cations in rats. J Nutr 117: 2009-2015. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/117.12.2009
- Kritchevsky D, Tepper SA, Klurfeld DM. 1995. Influence of psyllium presentations on plasma and liver lipids of cholesterol-fed rats. Artery 21: 303-311.
- Arlian LG, Vyszenski-Moher DL, Lawrence AT, Schrotel KR, Ritz HL. 1992. Antigenic and allergenic analysis of psyllium seed components. J Allergy Clin Immunol 89: 866-876. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-6749(92)90443-6
- Slavin JL. 1994. Epidemiologic evidence for the impact of whole grains on health. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 34: 427-434. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399409527672
- Yamada K, Tokunaga Y, Ikeda A, Ohkura K, Mamiya S, Kaku S, Sugano M, Tachibana H. 1999. Dietatry effect of guar gum and its partially hydrolyzed product on the lipid metabolism and immune function of Sprague-Dawley rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 63: 2163-2167. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.63.2163
- Hozumi T, Yoshida M, Ishida Y, Mimoto H, Sawa J, Doi K, Kazumi T. 1995. Long-term effcts of dietary fibersupplementation on serum glucose and lipoprotein levels in diabetic rats fed a high cholesterol diet. Endocr J 42: 187-192. https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.42.187
- Effects of Dietary Fiber Isolated from Synurus deltoides on Constipation in Loperamide-Induced Rats vol.40, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.12.1715
- Effects of Different Dietary Fats and Fibers on the Lipid Concentrations of Liver and Serum and Biochemical Index in Rats vol.32, pp.8, 2003, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.8.1377
- Analysis of General Components, Mineral Contents, and Dietary Fiber Contents of Synurus deltoides vol.40, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.11.1631