- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Changes of Nutritional Characteristics and Serum Cholesterol in Rats by the Intake of Dietary Fiber Isolated from Ascidian (Halocynthia roretzi) Tunic
우렁쉥이 껍질로부터 정제한 식이섬유 급여 Rat의 영양학적 특성 및 혈청지질함량의 변화
- 육홍선 (충남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김정옥 (세종대학교 가정학과) ;
- 최정미 (건양대학교 미용디자인과) ;
- 김동호 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학연구팀) ;
- 조성기 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학연구팀) ;
- 변명우 (한국원자력연구소 방사선식품생명공학연구팀)
- Published : 2003.04.01
The effects of dietary fiber isolated from ascidian (Halocynthia roretzi) tunic on the changes of weight, total gut transit time, serum cholesterol and glucose level were investigated in rats. Twenty four male rats were divided into 4 groups and were fed a control diet and three fiber supplemented diets with 5,10 and 20% of ascidian insoluble cellulose for 4 weeks, respectively. Food intake was not affected by the supplemented diet of ascidian cellulose but the body weight gain and food efficiency ratio were reduced in proportion to a feeding amount of ascidian cellulose. The fecal output and fecal water content were increased, gut transit time was shortened, and length of gut was elongated in all dietary fiber groups. Serum cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, neutral lipid, phospho-lipid and serum glucose concentrations were lowered and HDL-cholesterol was increased in rats fed the ascidian insoluble cellulose diet in proportion to a feeding amount of ascidian cellulose.
- Schneeman BO. 1989. Dietary fiber. Food Technol 43: 133-136.
- Englyst HN, Cummings JH. 1985. Digestion of the polysaccharides of some cereal foods in human small intestine. Am J Clin Nutr 42: 998-787.
- Walker ARP, Walker BF, Walker AJ. 1986. Fecal pH, dietary fiber intake and proneness to colon cancer in four South Africal population. Br J Cancer 53: 489-495. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1986.77
- Arjmandi BH, Craig J, Nathani S, Reeves RD. 1992. Soluble dietary fiber and cholesterol influence in vivo hepatic and intestinal cholesterol biosynthesis in rats. J Nutr 122: 1559-1565. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/122.7.1559
- Hwang JK. 1996. Physicochemical properties of dietary fibers. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 715-719.
- Al-Shagrawi RA, Al-Ojayan MO, Sadek MA, Al-Shayeb IE, Al-Ruqaie IM. 1999. Effects of alkaline, hydrogen peroxide-treated fibers on nutrient digestibility, blood sugar and lipid profiles in rats. Food Chemistry 65: 213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00208-8
- Kang HJ, Song YS. 1997. Dietary fiber and cholesterol metabolism. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 358-369.
- Kang HS, Lee YS, Park YJ. 1998. Effect of indigestible dextrin on large intestinal functions and fecal states of rats. Kor J Nutr 31: 991-998.
- Ebihara K, Nakamoto Y. 1998. Comparative effect of watersoluble and-insoluble dietary fiber on bowel function in rats fed a liquid elemental diet. Nutrition Research 18: 883-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(98)00073-6
- Oh HI, Ly SY. 1998. A study on nutritional characteristics of common Korean dietary fiber rich foods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 296-304.
- Cho MK, Lee WJ. 1996. Preparation of high fiber bread with barley flour. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 702-706.
- Yook HS, Kim YH, Ahn HJ, Kim DH, Kim JO, Byun MW. 2000. Rheological properties of wheat flour dough and qualities of bread prepared with dietary fiber purified from ascidian (Halocynthia roretzi) tunic. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 387-395.
- Byun MW, Ahn HJ, Yook HS, Lee JW, Kim DJ. 2000. Quality evaluation of jellies prepared with refined dietary fiber from ascidian (Halocynthia roretzi) tunic. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 64-67.
- Byun, MW, Yook HS, Lee KH, Lee, JW, Kim DH. 1999. Dietary fiber from marine products, refining process thereof and manufacture of functional food containing the dietary fiber. Patent pending 99-0043469.
- Faulk RM, Timms SB. 1985. A rapid method for determining the carbohydrates component of dietary fiber. Food Chem 17: 273-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(85)90036-6
- Heanton JM, Lennard-Jones JE, Young AC. 1969. A new method for studying gut transit times using radiopaque markers. Gut 10: 842. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.10.10.842
- Fringe CS, Dunn RM. 1980. The colorimetric method for determination of serum total lipids based on the sulfophosphovanillin reaction. Am J Clin Patho 53: 89-92.
- Friedwald WT, Levy RT, Fridrickson DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without the use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Nutr 18: 499-502.
- Gabel K, Newman R, Lauritzen G, Auld G, Bock M, Bruhn C, Lee Y, Medeiros D, McNulty J, Nitzke S. 1997. Fat and fiber knowledge and behaviors related to body mass index. Nutrition Research 17: 1643-1653. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(97)00171-1
- Blaak EE, Saris WHM. 1995. Health aspects of various digestible carbohydrates. Nutrition Research 15: 1547-1573. https://doi.org/10.1016/0271-5317(95)02027-S
- Judd PA, Truswell AS. 1985. The hypocholesterolemic effects of pectins in rats. Br J Nutr 53: 409-424. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850051
- Nandini CD, Sambaiah K, Salimath PV. 2000. Effect of dietary fiber on intestinal and renal disaccharides in diabetic rats. Nutrition Research 20: 1301-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(00)00213-X
- Antihyperlipidemic and Antidiabetic Activities of the Ascidian Tunic in Sprague-Dawley Rats vol.43, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2010.43.6.567
- Antioxidant and Anti-lipase Activity in Halocynthia roretzi Extracts vol.43, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.4.464
- Analysis of General Components, Mineral Contents, and Dietary Fiber Contents of Synurus deltoides vol.40, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.11.1631