- Volume 4 Issue 3
The grinding force generated during the grinding process causes an elastic deformation of the workpiece, grinding wheel, and machine system. Thus, the true depth of cut is always smaller than the apparent depth of cut. This is known as machining elasticity phenomenon. The machining elasticity parameter is defined as a ratio between the true depth of cut and the apparent depth of cut. It is an important factor to understand the material removal mechanism of the grinding process. To increase productivity, the value of this machining elasticity parameter must be large. Therefore, it is essential to know the characteristics of this parameter. The objective of this research is to study the effect of the major grinding conditions, such as table speed, depth of cut, on this parameter experimentally, Through this research, it is found that this parameter value is increasing when the table speed is decreasing or the depth of cut is increasing. Also, this parameter value depends on the grinding mode (up grinding, down grinding).
- Rowe, W. B., Barash, M. M. and Koenigsberger, F., 'Some Roundness Characteristics of Centerless Grinding,' Mach. Tool Des. Res, Vol. 5, pp. 203-215 1965 https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7357(65)90011-9
- Wager, J. G. and Saini, D. R, 'Local Contact Deflections in Grinding-Groups of Grains and Single Grains,' Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 35/1, pp. 245-248, 1986 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)61880-0
- Gu, D. Y. and Wager, J. G., 'New Evidence on the Contact Zone in Grinding - Contact Length, Sliding and Cutting Regions,' Annals ofthe CIRP, Vol. 47/1, pp. 335-338, 1988
- Wager, J. G. and Gu, D. Y., 'Influence of Up-Grinding and Down-Grinding on the Contact Zone,' Annals ofthe CIRP, Vol. 40/1, pp. 323-326, 1991 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)61997-0
- Saini, D. P., 'Wheel Hardness and Local Elastic Deflection in Grinding,' Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 637-649, 1989 https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(90)90013-9
- Reshetov, D. N. and Portman, V. T., Accuracy of Machine Tools, ASME PRESS, pp. 273-275, 1988