- Volume 13 Issue 3
Influence of Rock Inhomogeneity on the Dynamic Tensile Strength of Rock
암석의 동적 인장강도에 미치는 불균질성의 영향
- Cho, Sang-Ho (Graduate School of Eng., Hokkaido university) ;
- Yang, Hyung-Sik (Dep. Geosystem Eng., Chonnam Nat′l Univ.) ;
- Katsuhiko Kaneko (Graduate School of Eng., Hokkaido university)
- Published : 2003.06.01
The fracture processes under dynamic loading in tension were simulated using a proposed numerical approach and analyzed to determine dynamic tensile strength. The dynamic tensile strength and the scatter of the strength data decreased with increasing uniformity coefficients. The differences of static and dynamic tensile strength were due to the stress concentrations and redistribution mechanisms in the rock specimen. Although there were different mechanisms for the static and dynamic fracture processes, the static and dynamic tensile strengths were close to the mean microscopic tensile strength at high values of the uniformity coefficient. This paper shows that the rock inhomogeneity has an effect on dynamic tensile strength and is a factor that contributes to the different specimen strengths under dynamic and static loading conditions.
Fracture processes;Dynamic tensile strength;Uniformity coefficients;Microscopic tensile strength;Rock inhomogeneity
- J. Jpn. Exp. Soc. v.59 no.2 Study on the tensile strength of brittle materials under high stress rate using the technique based on Hopkinson's effect Ma,G.;Miyake,A.;Ogawa,T.;Wada,Y.;Ogata,Y.;Seto,M.;Katsuyama,K.
- Phil. Trans. v.A On the propagation of tremors over the surface of an elastic solid Lamb,H.
- Proc. ASME EM-3 A method of computation for structure dynamics Newmark,N.M.
- J. of Korean Society for Rock Mech. Influence of rock inhomogeneity on the static tensile strength of rock Cho,S.H.;Hyung Sik Yang;Kaneko,K.
- J. Appl. Mech. v.18 A statistical distribution function of wide applicability Weibull,W.
- J. Industrial Explosives Society v.17 no.4 Velocity of rock fragmentation and shape of shock wave Hino,K.
- Proc. 7th Symp. Rock Mech. Dynamic fracture strength of rocks Rinehardt,J.S.
- J. Jpn Explosive Society v.58 no.3 Fracture mechanics analysis of fragmentation process in rock blasting Kaneko,K.;Matsunaga,Y.;Yamamoto,M.
- USBMRI 6067 A method of determining dynamic tensile strength of rock at minimum loading Bacon,L.