- Volume 15 Issue 2
Electrokinetic flow and electroviscous effect in a charged slit-like microfluidic channel with nonlinear Poisson-Boltzmann field
- Chun, Myung-Suk (Complex Fluids Research Team, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)) ;
- Kwak, Hyun-Wook (Complex Fluids Research Team, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST))
- Published : 2003.06.01
In cases of the microfluidic channel, the electrokinetic influence on the transport behavior can be found. The externally applied body force originated from the electrostatic interaction between the nonlinear Poisson-Boltzmann field and the flow-induced electrical field is applied in the equation of motion. The electrostatic potential profile is computed a priori by applying the finite difference scheme, and an analytical solution to the Navier-Stokes equation of motion for slit-like microchannel is obtained via the Green's function. An explicit analytical expression for the induced electrokinetic potential is derived as functions of relevant physicochemical parameters. The effects of the electric double layer, the zeta potential of the solid surface, and the charge condition of the channel wall on the velocity profile as well as the electroviscous behavior are examined. With increases in either electric double layer or zeta potential, the average fluid velocity in the channel of same charge is entirely reduced, whereas the electroviscous effect becomes stronger. We observed an opposite behavior in the channel of opposite charge, where the attractive electrostatic interactions are presented.
- Mathematical Methods for Physicists(3rd Ed.) Arfken,G.
- Korean.J.Chem.Eng. v.19 Electrokinetic Flow Velocity in Charged Slit-like microfluidic Channels with Linearized Poisson-Boltzmann Field Chun.M.S. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02706960
- Desalination v.148 The electrokinetic behavior of membrane zeta potential during the filtration of colloidal suspensions Chun,M.S.;H.I.Cho;I.K.Song https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)00731-2
- Applied numerical Analysis(4th Ed.) Gerald,C.F.;P.O.Wheatley
- Low Reynnolds number hydrodynamics : with special applications to particulate media Happel,J.;H.Brenner
- J.Colloid interface Sci. v.248 Electrokinetic Flow through an Elliptical Microchannel : Effects of Aspect Ratio and Electrical Boundary Comditions Hsu,J.C.Kao;S.Tseng;C.Chen https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2001.8200
- J.Colloid Interface Sci. v.215 Numerical model of electrokinetic flow for capillary electrophoresis Hu,L.;D.J.Harrison;J.H.Masliyah https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1999.6250
- Zeta Potential in Colloid Science : Principles and Applications Hunter,R.J.
- Micro Flows : Fundamentals and Simulation Karniadakis,G.E.;A.Beskok
- J.Colloid Interface Sci. v.52 Theory of Electrokinetic Flow in Fine Cylindrical Capillaries at High Zeta-Potentials Levine,S.;J.R.Marriott;G.Neale;N.Epstein https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(75)90310-0
- Colloids Surfaces A v.195 Electro-viscous effects on pressure-driven liquid flow in microchannels Li,D. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(01)00828-7
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics(80th Ed.) Lide,D.R.(Ed.)
- J.Micromech.Microeng. v.4 Electroosmotic pumping and electrophoretic separations for miniaturized chemical analysis systems Manz,A.;C.S.Effenhauser;N.Burggraf;D.J.Harrison;K.Seller;K.Flurl https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/4/4/010
- J.Colloid Interface Sci. v.233 Electro-Viscous Effects on Liquid in Microchannels Ren,L.;D.Li;W.Qu https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2000.7262
- J.Phys.Chem v.69 Electrokinetic Flow in a Narrow Cylindrical Capillary Rice,C.L.;R.Whitehead https://doi.org/10.1021/j100895a062
- Colloidal Dispersions Russel,W.B.;D.A.Saville;W.R.Schowalter
- AlchE J. v.47 Microfluidics : Basic Issues, Appications. and Challenges Stone,H.A.;S.Kim
- Int.J.Heat Mass Transfer v.43 Pressure-driven flows in trapezoidal silicon microchannels Weilin,Q.;G.M.Mala;D.Li https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(99)00148-9