- Volume 27 Issue 8
The wear process of end mill is so complicated process that a more reliable technique is required for the monitoring and controlling the tool life and its performance. This research presents a new tool wear monitoring method based on the sound signal generated on the machining. The experiment carried out continuous-side-milling for 4 cases using the high-speed-steel end mill under wet condition. The sound pressure was measured at 0.5m from the cutting zone by a dynamic microphone, and was analyzed at frequency domain. As the cutter impacts the workpiece surface, a situation of farced vibration arises in which the dominant forcing frequency is equal to the tooth passing frequency of the cutter. The tooth passing frequency appears as a harmonics form, and end mill flank wear is related with the first harmonic. It is possible to detect end . mill flank wear. This paper proposed the new method of the end mill wear detection.
End Mill;Cutting Sound;Flank Wear;FFT;Harmonic;Tooth Passing Frequency
- Sarhan, A., Sayed, R., Nassr, AA., El-Zahry, R. M., 2001, 'Interrelationships Between Cutting Force Variation and Tool Wear in End-Milling,' J. Material Processing Technology 44, pp. 207-214 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00803-7
- ISO 8688-2, 1989, 'Tool Life Testing in Milling - Pat2 : End Milling'
- Tony Schmitz, John Ziegert, 1999, 'Examination of Surface Location Error Due to Phasing of Cutter Vibrations,' Precision Engineering 23, pp. 51-62 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-6359(98)00025-7
- Ema, S., Davies, R., 1989, 'Cutting Performance of End Mills with Different Helix Angles,' Int. J. Mach. Tool Manuf. 29, pp. 217-227 https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(89)90033-3
- Dimla E., Dimla Snr, 2000, 'Sensor Signals for Tool-Wear Monitoring in Metal Cutting Operations Review of Methods,' Int. J. Machine Tools & Manuf. 40, pp. 1073-1098 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0890-6955(99)00122-4
- Cha, I. H., 1980, 'An Instruction of Acoustics,' Han Sin Publishing co.
- Lin, J., 1995, 'Inverse Estimation of the Tool-Work Interface Temperature in End Milling,' Int. J. Machine Tools & Manuf. 35(5), pp. 751-760 https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(95)93043-6
- Sarhan, A., Sayed, R., Nassr, AA., El-Zahry R. M., 2001, 'Interrelationships Between Cutting Force Variatiion and Tool Wear in End-Milling,' J. Material Processing Technology 44, pp. 207-214
- Mang, M. J., Jeong, J. K., 1995, 'A Study on the End Mill Wear Detection Using AE Signal,' 1995, KSME 1995 Spring Conference(I), pp. 394-399
- David A. Dornfeld, 1997, 'In Process Recognition of Cutting States,' JSME, Series C, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 638-650