- Volume 27 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Failure Behavior of a Pipe Containing Circumferential Notch-Type Wall Thinning
원주방향 노치형 감육부를 가진 배관의 손상거동 평가
- Published : 2003.08.01
In order to evaluate a failure behavior of pipe with notch-type wall thinning, the present study performed full-scale pipe tests using the 102mm, Schedule 80 pipe specimen simulated notch- and circular-type thinning defects. The pipe tests were conducted under the conditions of both monotonic and cyclic bending moment at a constant internal pressure of 10 MPa. From the results. of experiment the failure mode, load carrying capacity, deformation ability, and fatigue life of a notch-type wall thinned pipe were investigated, and they were compared with those of a circular-type wall thinned pipe. The failure mode of notched pipe was similar to that of circular-type thinned pipe under the monotonic bending load. Under the cyclic bending load, however, the mode was clearly distinguished with variation in the shape of wall thinning. The load carrying capacity of a pipe containing notch-type wall thinning was about the same or slightly lower than that of a pipe containing circular-type wall thinning when the thinning area was subjected to tensile stress, whereas it was higher than that of a pipe containing circular-type thinning defect when the thinning area was subjected to compressive stress. On the other hand, the deformation ability and fatigue life of a notch-type wall thinned pipe was lower than those of a circular-type wall thinned pipe.
Pipe Wall Thinning;Notch-Type Thinning;Full-Scale Pipe Test;Failure Mode
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, ASME B&PV Code Sec.III, 1995 ed., 'Nuclear Components.'
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, ASME B&PV Sec.XI, Div.1, 1998, ASME Code Case N-597, 'Requirement for Analytical Evaluation of Pipe Wall Thinning.'
- Choi, Y. H. and Kang, S. C., 2000, 'Evaluation of Piping Integrity in Thinned Main Feedwater Pipes,' J. of Kor. Nucl. Soc., Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 67-76
- Fuchs, H. O. and Stephens, R. I., 1980, 'Metal Fatigue in Engineering,' John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Wilkowski, G., Stephens, D., Krishnaswamy, P., Leis, B., and Rudland, D., 2000, 'Progress in Development of Acceptance Criteria for Local Thinned Areas in Pipe and Piping Components,' Nucl. Eng. & Des., Vol. 195, pp. 149-169 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(99)00245-9
- Choi, J. B., Kim, J. S., Goo, B. G., Kim, Y. J., and Choi, Y. H., 2001, 'Engineering Estimation of Limit Load Solution for Wall-thinned Pipes Considering Material Properties,' Proceedings of the KSME 2001 Spring Annual meeting (A), pp. 351-356
- Miyazaki, K., Kanno, S., Ishiwata, M., Hasegawa, K., Ahn, S. H., and Ando, K., 1999, 'Fracture Behavior of Carbon Steel Pipe with Local Wall Thinning Subjected to Bending Load,' Nucl. Eng. & Des., Vol. 191, pp. 195-204 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(99)00141-7
- Hasegawa, K., Sakata, K., Miyazakik, K., and Kanno, S., 2002, 'Fatigue Strength for Pipes with Allowable Flaws and Fatigue Design Curve,' Int. J. of Pres. Vess. & Piping, Vol. 79, pp. 37-44 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(01)00129-6
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, ANSI/ASME B31.G, 1991, 'Manual for Remaining Strength of Corroded Pipelines.'
- Chexal, B., Horowitz, J., Dooley, B., Millett, P., Wood, C., and Jones, R., 1998, 'Flow-Accelerated Corrosion in Power Plant,' EPRI/TR-106611-R2
- Virginia Electric and Power Co., 1989, 'Surry Unit 2 Reactor Trip and Feedwater Pipe Failure Report
- Kuen, T. and Yin, P. M., 1999, 'The Evaluation of Erosion/Corrosion Problems of Carbon Steel Piping in Taiwan PWR Nuclear Power Plant.,' Nucl. Eng. & Des., Vol. 191, pp. 231-243 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(99)00145-4
- Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, 1993, 'Technical Report on the Piping Reliability Tests at the Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (Japanese),' JAERI-M, 93-074, pp. 104-115
- Kim, J. W., Park, C. Y., and Kim, B. N., 2001, 'Evaluation of Local Wall Thickness of Thinned Pipe Subjected to Internal Pressure and Bending Moment,' Trans. of KSME(A), Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 81-88
- Choi, Y. H., Park, Y. W., and Wilkowski, G., 1999, 'An Experimental Study on the Fracture Behavior of Nuclear Piping System with a Circumferential Crack(I),' Trans. of KSME(A), Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 1182-1195
- Frank, M., Hang, R., and Helmut, S., 2001, 'Experience with Piping in German NPPs with Respect to Ageing-Related Aspects.,' Nucl. Eng. & Des., Vol. 207, pp. 307-316 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(01)00339-9
- J. of Kor. Nucl. Soc. v.32 no.1 Evaluation of Pining Integrity in Thinned Main Feedwater Pipes Choi,Y.H.;Kang,S.C.
- Metal Fatigue in Engineering Fuchs,H.O.;Stephens,R.I.