- Volume 12 Issue 11
The surface sediments inside Hallim Harbor, one of the major harbors of Jeju Island, were sampled three times (June, September and December, 2001) and analyzed for 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), recommended by US-EPA as priority pollutants, to assess their distribution levels and to suggest their possible origins. The concentrations of PAHs ranged from 19 to 496 ng/g on a dry weight basis with a mean value of 245 ng/g, and the levels were low to moderate in comparison with other areas in the world. Based on comparisons of individual and total PAH concentrations with effects-based and equilibrium partitioning-based on sediment quality guidelines, the potential for the biological effects were expected to be low. The sedimentary PAHs may be correlated with organic carbon and mud contents to some extent. From the examinations of the four PAH origin indices, such as LMW/HMW (low molecular weight 2-3 ring PAHs over high molecular weight 4-6 ring PAHs), phenanthrene/anthracene ratio, fluoranthene/pyrene ratio, chrysene/benzo〔a〕anthracene ratio, it can be concluded that the sediment PAH contaminations were ascribed to both pyrolytic and petrogenic origins.
PAHs;Surface sediments;Hallim Harbor;Distribution;Origin indices
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.38 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface sediments around England and Wales, and their possible biological significance Woodhead,R.J.;R.J.Law;P.Matthiessen https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(99)00039-9
- Metabolism of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Aquatic Environment Microbial degradation of PAH in the aquatic environment Cerniglia,C.E.;M.A.Heitkamp;Vanarasi,U.(ed.)
- MS Thesis, Seoul National University Contamination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Masan Bay Yim,U.H.
- J.Environ. Sci. v.12 no.7 Distribution of butyltin compounds in surface sediments inside Hallim Harbor of Jeju Island Kam,S.K.;H.J.Kim;C.G.Hu;Y.C.Choi;M.G.Lee https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2003.12.7.753
- Mar. Chem. v.32 Fluxes and transport of anthropogenic and natural polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the western Mediterranean Sea Lipiatou,E.;A.Saliot https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4203(91)90025-R
- Environ. Pollut. v.2 Distribution of hydrocarbons in recent marine sediments off the coast of Baja Califonia Macias Zamora,J.V.
- Environ. Sci. v.10 no.S-3 Level and origin of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sediments from Ulsan Bay Moon,H.B.;H.G.Choi;S.S.Kim;P.Y.Lee
- Ph. D Thesis Nr 495, University Bordeaux Ⅰ Utilisation des hydrocarbures comme traceursd'origine de la mattiere organique sedimentaire en mileu marin, Etude du golfe du Lyon et du Golfe de gascogne (Programme Ecomarge) Parlanti,E.
- Arch. Toxicol. v.39 Metabolic activation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons Lehr,R.E.;D.M.Jerina https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00343269
- Chemosphere v.10 Photolysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in water Mill,T.;W.R.Mabey;B.Y.Lan;A.Baraze https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-6535(81)90045-X
- Mar. Ploout. Bull. v.42 Sources and geochemical constaints of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sediments and mussels of two northern Irish Sea-loughs guinan,J.;M.Charlesworth;M.Service;T.Oliver https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(01)00077-7
- Report on implementation of environmental index for environmentfriendly development in Jeju Island Jeju-Do
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.31 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in water and sediment of the Baltic Sea Witt https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(95)00174-L
- NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS OMA 52, NOAA Office of Oceanography and Marine Assessment The potential for biological effects of sediment-sorbed contaminants tested in the National Status and Trends Programs Long,E.R.;L.G.Morgan
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.15 Functional relation ship between in soil and chemical structure Lambert,S.M. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60152a024
- Abstract of 2002 KSFEA Autumn Meeting v.29-30 Distribution characteristics and origin of PAHs in sediments from Nakdong River estuary and adjacent coast, Park,J.H.;S.Y.Kim;S.H.Ji;G.Ok
- VA, USA, Mar. Chem. v.66 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) source, sediment deposition patterns, and paritcle geochemistry as factors influencing PAH distribution coefficients in sediments of the Elizabeth River Mitra,S.;R.M.Dickhut;S.A.Kuehl;K.I.Kimbrough https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4203(99)00027-4
- Baja Califonia, MS Thesis Distribution of de los alquil benceno lineales (ABL), trazadoles de la frontera Mexico-USA a Punta Banda, Ensenada Ramirez-Alvarez,N.
- Environ. Sci. Technol. v.24 Geochronology of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon contamination in sediments of the Saguenay Fjord Smith,J.N.;E.M.Levy https://doi.org/10.1021/es00076a013
- Environmental Management v.19 Incidence of adverse biological effects within ranges of chemical concentrations in marine and estuarine sediments Long,E.R.;D.D.MacDonald;S.L.Smith;F.D.Calder https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02472006
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.26 PAHs PCBs, and DDE in the Northern Adriatic Sea Caricchia,A.M.;S.Chiavarini;C.Cremisini;F.Marrini;R.Morabito https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(93)90411-C
- Environ. Sci. Technol. v.34 Microscale location, characterization and association of polycyclic hydrocarbons on harbour sediment particles Ghosh,U.;J.S.Gillette;R.G.Luthy;R.N.Zare https://doi.org/10.1021/es991032t
- The East China Sea v.2 Contamination and bioaccumulation of butyltin compounds inside Cheju Harbor of Cheju Island Kam,S.K.;L.S.An;E.I.Cho;K.S.Choi
- Chemosphere PAHs composition od surface marine sediments: a comparison of potential local sources in Todos Santos Bay, B.C. Macias-Zamora,J.V.;E.Mendoza-Vega;J.A.Villaescusa-Celaya
- Metabolism of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Aquatic Environment Bioavailability of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the aquatic environment McElroy,A.E.;J.W.Farrington;J.M.Teal;Vanarasi,U.(ed.)
- Applied Sciences Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Acquatic Environment, Sources, fates, and Biological Effects Neff,J.M.
- Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta v.45 Fluxes of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to marine and Iscustrine sediments in the northeastern United States gschweng,P.M.;R.A.Hites https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(81)90089-2
- Environ. Sci. v.2 The high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in oysters from the intertidal and subtidal zones of Chinhae Bay Lee,K.S.;I.Noh;C.S.Lim;S.D.Chu https://doi.org/10.1080/15693430412331304279
- Procedures in Sedimentary Petrology Sieve analysis Ingram,R.L.;Carver,R.E.(ed.)
- Dept. of Ecology Sediment management Standards WAC Washington state Sediment Quality Criteria
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.38 Distribution and sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in sediments from kyeonggi Bay Kim,G.B.;K.A.Maruya;R.F.Lee;J.H.Lee;C.H.Koh https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(98)00077-0
- MS Thesis, Yosu national University A study on the pollution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in sediments around Kwangyang Bay You,Y.S.
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.40 Origin of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in coastal marine sediments: case studies in Cotonou (Benin) and Aquitaine (France) areas Soclo,H.H.;P.Garrigues;M.Ewald https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(99)00200-3
- Mar. Pollut. Bull. v.38 Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons in american oysters Crassostrea virginica from the Terminos Lagoon, Campeche, Mexico Barrosa,E.N.;G.Gold-Bouchot;O.Zapeta-Perez;J.L.Sericano https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(98)00165-9
- Mar. Environ. Res. v.47 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in recent sediments and mussel (Mytilus edulis) from the Western baltic Sea: occurrence, bioavailability and deasonal variations Baumard,P.;H.Budzinski;P.Garrigues;H.Dixer;P.D.Hansen https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(98)00105-6