- Volume 10 Issue 3
We explore the use of genetic programming to evolve decision trees directly for classification problems with both discrete and continuous predictors. We demonstrate that the derived hypotheses of standard algorithms can substantially deviated from the optimum. This deviation is partly due to their top-down style procedures. The performance of the system is measured on a set of real and simulated data sets and compared with the performance of well-known algorithms like CHAID, CART, C5.0, and QUEST. Proposed algorithm seems to be effective in handling problems caused by top-down style procedures of existing algorithms.
Classification;Decision Tree;Genetic Programming;Mixed Predictors
- A Computational Study of Using Genetic Algorithms to Develop Intelligent Decision Trees Fu,Z.
- GATree: Genetically Evolved Decision Trees Papagelis,A.;Kalles,D.
- Genetic Programming Koza,J.R.
- 9th European Conference on Machine Learning, Plague, Czech Republic pp.3-26 Inductive Genetic Programming with Decision Trees Nikolaev,N.I.;Slavov,V.
- Classification and Regression Trees Breiman,L.;Friedman,J.H.;Olshen,R.A.;Stone,C.J.
- Breeding Decision Trees Using Evolutionary Techniques Papagelis,A.;Kalles,D.
- C4.5: Programs for Machine Learning Quinlan,J.R.
- Statistica Sinica v.7 pp.815-840 Split Selection Methods for Classification Trees Loh,W.Y.;Shih,Y.S.
- Expert Systems in the Mirco Electronic Age. Discovering rules by induction from large collections of examples Quinlan,J.R.;D.MIchie(ed.)
- Applied Statistics v.29 pp.119-127 An Exploratory Technique for Investigating Large Quantiles of Categorical Data Kass,G.V. https://doi.org/10.2307/2986296
- Parallel Problem Solving from Nature pp.124-128 Concept formation and decision tree induction using the genetic programming paradigm Koza,J.R.;Schwefel, Hans Paul(ed.);Maenner, Reinhard(ed.)
- PhD thesis, University of Edinburgh An Investigation of Supervised Learning in Genetic Programming Gathercole,C.
- Machine Learning 1 v.1 pp.81-106 Induction of decision trees Quinlan,J.R.
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO) 2000 Improving Induction of Linear Classification Trees with Genetic Programming Bot,M.C.J.
- Machine Learning v.24 pp.123-140 Bagging Predictors Breiman,L.
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1802 pp.247-258 Application of Genetic Programming to Induction of Linear Classification Trees. European Conference on Genetic Programming EuroGP2000 Bot,M.C.J.;Langdon,W.B.