- Volume 32 Issue 8
The contents of organic acids in traditional and modified fermented foods were compared, and propionic acid produced during fermentation was investigated. Organic acids in traditional and modified soy sauces were lactic acid, acetic acid, citric acid, formic acid, succinic acid and oxalic acid while propionic acid was found in traditional soy sauces only. Similarly, lactic acid, acetic acid, citric acid, oxalic acid, formic acid, succinic acid and propionic acid were found in traditional and modified soy paste. The organic acids in traditional and modified kochujang were citric acid, acetic acid, formic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, oxalic acid and succinic acid while propionic acid was not found in modified kochujang. The major organic acid in persimmon and commercial (fermented) vinegars was acetic acid. Propionic acid was uniquely found in persimmon vinegars. Also, content of tannic acid in persimmon vinegars was 366.9 ∼ 909.8 mg%.
- Jung SW, Kwon DJ, Koo MS, Kim YS. 1994. Quality characteristics and acceptance for doenjang prepared with rice. J Korean Agric Chem Biotechnology 37: 266-271.
- Yang HC, Kim BY, Lee TK. 1982. Changes of the chemical components in the process of the korea soy sauce fermentation by salt concentration-Laying stress on the volatile organic acid-. Korean J Nutrition & Food 11: 5-10.
- Im MH, Choi JD, Chung HC, Lee SH, Lee CW, Choi C, Choi KS. 1998. Improvement of meju preparation method for the production of Korean traditional kanjang (soy sauce). Korean J Food Sci Technol 30: 608-614.
- Shin DH, Kim DH, Choi U, Lim DK, Lim MS. 1996. Studies on the physicochemical characteristics of traditional kochujang. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 157-161.
- Chun MS, Lee TS, Noh BS. 1995. The changes in organic acids and fatty acids in kochujang prepared with different mashing methods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 25-29.
- Choi JY, Lee TS, Park SO, Noh BS. 1997. Changes of volatile flavor compounds in traditional kochujang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 745-751.
- Moon SY, Chung HC, Yoon HN. 1997. Comparative analysis of commercial vinegars in physicochemical properties, minor components and tastes. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 663-670.
- An HS, Bae JS, Lee TS. 1987. Comparison of free amino acids, sugars and organic acids in soybean paste prepared with various organisms. J Korean Agric Chem Sci 30: 345-350.
- Lee JS, Cheigh HS. 1997. Composition and antioxidative charaterisitics of phenolic fractions isolated from soybean fermented food. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 383-389.
- Lee JS, Cheigh HS. 1997, Antioxidative charateristics of isolated crude phenolics from soybean fermented foods (doenjang). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 376-382.
- Court WA, Hendel JG. 1978. Determination of nonviolatile organic and fatty acids in flue-cured tobacco by gas-liquid chromatography. J Chromatog 16: 314-317.
- Lee TS, Park SO, Lee MW. 1981. Determination of organic acids of kochujang prepared from various starch sources. J Korean Agric Chem Sco 24: 120-125.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 26th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC. p 16.
- Kim JK, Jang SK, Kim SY, Park SM, Kim KS. 1990. Distribution of volatile organic acids in traditional Korean soy sauce and microorganisms producing the organic acids. Source Problem Center. 9, p 63-69.
- Jeong JH, Kim JS, Lee SD, Choi SH, Oh MJ. 1998. Studies on the contents of free amino acids, organic acids and isoflavones in commercial soybean paste. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 10-15.
- Kim YS, Kwon DJ, Oh HI, Kang TS. 1994. Comparison of physicochemical characterisitcs of traditional and commercial kochujang during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 12-17.
- Shin DH, Kim DH, Choi U, Lim MS, An EY. 1997. Effect of red pepper varieties on the microflora, enzyme activities and taste components of traditional kochujang during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 1050-1057.
- Kim DH. 1988. Food Science. Tamgoodang, Seoul. p 81.
- Fermentation characteristics of mulberry (Cudrania tricuspidata) fruits produced using microbes isolated from traditional fermented food, and development of fermented soybean food vol.21, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.6.866
- Determination of Amounts of Benzoic Acid and Propionic Acid in Fermented Soybean Products vol.45, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.5.565
- Quality characteristics of tangerine peel Soksungjang prepared from different koji strains vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.1.117
- Quality Characteristics of Rice-doenjang during Fermentation by Differently Shaped Meju and Adding Starter vol.25, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.505
- Changes in the Physiochemical Quality of Sailfin Sandfish Arctoscopus japonicus Sauces Fermented with Soybean Koji or Rice Koji during Storage at Room Temperature vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0101
- Quality Characteristics of Black Soybean Paste (Daemaekjang) Prepared with Bacillus subtilis HJ18-4 vol.44, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.743
- Quality Characteristics of Regional Traditional and Commercial Soy Sauce (Ganjang) vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.1.45
- Effect of Urushiol-Free Extracts from Fermented-Rhus verniciflua Stem Bark with Fomitella fraxinea on the Fermentation Characteristics of Doenjang (Soybean Paste) vol.40, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2012.40.4.244
- Manufacture and quality evaluation of purple sweet potato Makgeolli vinegar using a 2-stage fermentation vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0156-7
- Comparative study on fermentation performance in the genome shuffled Candida versatilis and wild-type salt tolerant yeast strain vol.97, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.7728
- Sensory Characteristics of Different Types of Commercial Soy Sauce vol.28, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.6.640
- Changes Observed in Doenjang (Soybean Paste) Containing Fermented-Rhus verniciflua Extract During Aging vol.47, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2015.47.5.599
- Quality Characteristics of Doenjang Prepared with Fermented Hwangchil (Dendropanax morbifera) Extract vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.372
- Analysis of Free Sugar and Free Amino Acid from Gochujang Produced from Korean Small Farms vol.29, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.5.543