- Volume 4 Issue 1
An advanced aeroelastic analysis using a computational structural dynamics (CSD), finite element method (FEM) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is presented in this Paper. A general aeroelastic analysis system is originally developed and applied to realistic design problems in the transonic flow region, where strong shock wave interactions exist. The present computational approach is based on the modal-based coupled nonlinear analysis with the matched-point concept and adopts the high-speed parallel processing technique on the low-cost network based PC-clustered machines. It can give very accurate and useful engineering data on the structural dynamic design of advanced flight vehicles. For the nonlinear unsteady aerodynamics in high transonic flow region, Euler equations using the unstructured grid system have been applied to easily consider complex configurations. It is typically shown that the advanced numerical approach can give very realistic and practical results for design engineers and safe flight tests. One can find that the present study conducts a virtual flutter flight test which are usually very dangerous in reality.
External Store;Flutter;Aeroelasticity;Virtual Test;Transonic;Parallel Processing;CSD;FEM;CFD;Euler;Unsteady Aerodynamics
- Melville, R, "Nonlinear Simulation of F-16 Aeroelastic Instability," AlAA Paper 2001-0570,
- Pollock, S. J., Sotomayer, W. A., Huttsell, L. J., and Cooley, D. E., "Evaluation of Methods for Prediction and Prevention of Wing/Store Flutter," Joumal of Aircraft, Vol. 19, No. 6, June 1982, pp. 492-498. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.57419
- Triplett, W. E., "Wind Tunnel Correlation Study of Aerodynamic Modeling for F/A- 18 Wing-Store Tip-Missile Flutter," Joumal of Aircraft, Vol. 21, No. 5, May 1984, pp. 329-334. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.44968
- Guruswamy, G. P., Goorjian, P. M., and Tu, E. L., "Transonic Aeroelasticity of Wings with Tip Stores," AlAA Paper 86-1007, pp. 672-682.
- Gern, F. H., and Librescu, L., "Static and Dynamic Aeroelasticity Wings Carrying External Stores," AlAA Journal, Vol. 36, No. 7, July 1998, pp.1121-1129.
- Kim, D. H., and Lee, I., "Transonic and Low- Supersonic Aerodynamic Analysis of a Wing with Underpylon/Store," Joumal of Aircraft, Vol. 37, No. 1, January-February 2000, pp. 189-192. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.2582
- Kim, D. H., and Lee, I., "Transonic and Supersonic Flutter Characteristics of a Wing-Box Model with Tip Stores," AlAA Paper 2001-1464.
- Kim, D. H., Park, Y. M., Lee, I. and Kwon, O. J., "Nonlinear Aeroelastic Computation of Wings with Pylon/Finned-Store Using Parallel Unstructured Euler Solver," AIAA Paper 2002-1289.
- Smith, M. J., Cesnik C. E. S., Hodges, D. H., and Moran, K. J., "An Evaluation of Computational Algorithms to Interface between CFD and CSD Methodologies," AlAA Paper 96-1400-CP, pp. 745-754.
- Yates, E. C., Jr., "AGARD Standard Aeroelastic Configurations for Dynamic Response, Candidate Configuration I:-Wing 445.6," NASA TM 100492, August 1987.