- Volume 4 Issue 1
The primary objective of this study is to demonstrate ground-based experiment for the attitude control of spacecraft. A two-axis rotational simulator with a flexible ann is constructed with on-off air thrusters as actuators. The simulator is also equipped with payload pointing capability by simultaneous thruster and DC servo motor actuation. The azimuth angle is controlled by on-off thruster command while the payload elevation angle is controlled by a servo-motor. A thruster modulation technique PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) employing a time-optimal switching function plus integral error control is proposed. An optical camera is used for the purpose of pointing as well as on-board rate sensor calibration. Attitude control performance based upon the new closed-loop control law is demonstrated by ground experiment. The modified switching function turns out to be effective with improved pointing performance under external disturbance. The rate sensor calibration technique by Kalman Filter algorithm led to reduction of attitude error caused by the bias in the rate sensor output.
Attitude control of spacecraft;Two-axis rotational simulator;Flexible arm;Thruster modulation
- Fujii, H., Ohtsuka, T., and Udou, S., Mission Function Control of Slew Manevuer Experiment", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1989, pp. 858-865. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20492
- Frangos, C., Control System Analysis of a Hardware-In-the-Loop simulation", IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronics System, Vol. 26, No.4, 1990, pp. 666- 668. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.55560
- Junkins, J. L., Rahman, Z., Bang, H., and Hecht, N., Near-Minimum-Time Control of Distributed Parameter Systems :Analytical and Experimental Results, Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 14, No. 2, 1991, pp. 406-415. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20653
- Agrawal, B.N. and Bang, H., "Robust Closed-loop Control Design for Spacecraft Maneuver using On-off Thrusters", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vo1.18, No.6, pp.1336-1349, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21550
- VanderVelde, W., and He, J., Design of Space Structure Control Systems using On-off Thrusters", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 6, No. 1, 1983, pp. 759-775.
- Singh, G., Kabamba, P., and McClarnroch, N., Planar Time Optimal Slewing Maneuvers of Flexible Spacecraft", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1989, pp. 71-81. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20370
- Singhose, W., Pao, L., and Seering, W., Time-Optimal Rest-to-Rest Slewing of Multi-Mode Flexible Spacecraft using ZVD Robustness Constraints", AIAA Paper 96-3845, Aug. 1996.
- Wie, B., Shinha R., and Liu, Q., Robust Time-Optimal Control of Uncertain Structural Systems", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1993, pp. 980-982. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21114
- Liu, Q., and Wie, B., Robust Time-Optimal Control of Uncertain Flexible Spacecraft", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1992, pp. 597-604. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20880
- Clark, R.N., and Franklin, G. F., Limit Cycle Oscillations in Pulse Modulated Systems", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 6. No. 7, 1969, pp. 799-804. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.29704
- Hablani, H. B., Multiaxis Tracking and Attitude Control of Flexible Spacecraft with Reaction Jets", Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 17, No. 4, 1994, pp. 831-839. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21273
- Anthony, T., Wie, B., and Carroll, S., Pulse-Modulated Control Synthesis for a Flexjble Spacecraft", Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 13, No. 6, 1990, pp. 1014-1015. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20574
- Song, G, Buck, N. V., and Agrawal. B. N., Spacecraft Vibration Reduction Using Pulse-Width Pulse-Frequency Modulated Input Shaper", Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 22. No. 3, 1999, pp. 433-440. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4415
- Sidi, M. J., Spacecraft Dynamics & Control, Cambridge, 1997.
- Wie, B., Spacecraft Dynamics and Control : Applications of Dynamical Systems Theory, AIAA Educational Series, 1995.
- Kwon. Y., and Bang, H., The Finite Element Method using MATLAB, CRC Press, 2000.
- Chung. H., Ojeda. L., Borenstein, J., Accurate Mobile Robot Dead-Reckoning with a Precision-Calibrated Fiber-Optic Gyroscope, IEEE Trans. Robot. Automat, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2001, pp.80-84. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.917085
- Lefferts, E.J., Markley, F.L., and Shuster, M.D., Kalman Filtering for Spacecraft Attitude Estimation", Journal of Guidance and Control, Vol. 5, No. 5, 1982, pp. 417-429. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.56190
- Talebi, H.A., Khorasani, K., and Patel, R.V., Neural network based control schemes for flexible-link manipulators: simulations and experiments", Neural Networks, 11. 1998, pp. 1357-1377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0893-6080(98)00038-0
- Magnus Norgaard, Neural Network Based Control System Design Toolkit, Technical University of Denmark, 1995.
- Karl J. Astrom, Bjorn Wittenmark, Adaptive Control, Addison Wesley, 1995.
- Lewis F. L., jagannathan S., YesiJdirek A., Neural Network Control of Robot Manipulators and Nonlinear Systems, Taylor & Francis, 1999.