- Volume 6 Issue 1
Purpose: To evaluate the results in patients who received total elbow replacement for posttraumatic destroyed or unreduced elbow joint. Materials and Methods: Six patients with posttraumatic destroyed, or unreduced elbow joint, who were nearly impossible to move actively and had pain and grossly unstable joint, were followed up average 42 months. 3 cases were soft tissue injuries and bone defects which were caused by severe comminuted fracture, 1 was a nonunion with comminuted fracture, and 2 were unreduced elbow joint. Total elbow replacement was performed average 10 months after the injury. All the cases were used by semiconstrained prosthesis, and the results were estimated by Mayo elbow perfomance score. Results: Pain was decreased in all the cases postoperatively. Average ranges of motion were improved with active extension 20° and flexion 120°. Mayo elbow performance scores were pain 42.5 points, range of motion 17.5 points, stability 8.3 points, function 19.2 points and totally 87.5 points, and final results were 3 excellent and 3 good. Loosening of prosthesis was not found in all the cases by final follow-up radiograph. Conclusicon: Semiconstrained TER can be used as a effective treatment improving pain and active ranges of motion caused by posttraumatic destroyed or unreduced elbow joint, however, long term follow-up is needed because early loosening of TER can be occurred due to severe bone defects.
Destroyed or unreduced elbow joint;Total elbow replacement.
- Cheng SL and Morrey BF: Treatment of the mobile, painful arthritic elbow by distraction interposition arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg, 82-B: 233-238, 2000.
- Cobb TK and Morrey BF: Total elbow arthroplasty as primary treatment for distal humeral fractures in elderly patients. J Bone Joint Surg, 79-A: 826-832, 1997.
- Dennis DA, Clayton ML, Ferlic DC, Steringer EA and Branmlet KW: Capitellocondylar total elbow arthroplasty for rheumatoid arthritis. J Arthroplasty, 5:83-88, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-5403(06)80014-8
- Ewald FC: Capitellocondylar total elbow arthroplasty. In: Morrey BF ed. Master techniques in orthopaedic surgery: The elbow. New York, Raven press: 209-230, 1994.
- Faber KJ, Cordy ME, Milne AD, Chess DG, King GJW and Johnson JA: Advanced cement technique improves fixation in elbow arthroplasty. Clin Orthop, 334: 150-156,1997.
- Figgie MP, Inglis AE, Mow CS and Figgie HE: Salvage of nonunion of supracondylar fracture of the humerus by total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg, 71-A: 1058-1065, 1989.
- Hildebrand KA, Patterson SD, Regan WD, Macdermid JC and King GJW: Functional outcome of semiconstrained total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg, 82-A: 1379-1386, 2000.
- Kim YK and Kang KY: Surgical treatment of the fracture and dislocation of the elbow and early controlled mobilization. J of Korean Society of Fractures, 13: 20-25, 2000.
- Moro JK and King GJW: Total elbow arthroplasty in the treatment of posttraumatic conditions of the elbow. Clin Orthop, 370: 102-114, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200001000-00010
- Morrey BF: Semiconstrained total elbow replacement. In: Morrey BF ed. Master techniques in orthopaedic surgery: The elbow. New York, Raven press: 231-255, 1994.
- Morrey BF and Adams RA: Semiconstrained elbow replacement for distal humeral nonunion. J Bone Joint Surg, 77-B: 67-72, 1995.
- Morrey BF and Adams RA: Semiconstrained arthroplasty for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow. J Bone and Joint Surg, 74-A: 479-490, 1992.
- Morrey BF, Askew LJ, An KN and Chao EY: A biomechanical study of normal functional elbow motion. J Bone Joint Surg, 63-A: 872-877, 1981.
- Morrey BF and Bryan RS: Complications of total elbow arthroplasty. Clin Orthop, 170: 204-212, 1982.
- Ramsey ML, Adams RA and Morrey BF: Instability of the elbow treated with semiconstrained total elbow arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg, 81-A: 38-47, 1999.
- Schneeberger AG, Adams RA and Morrey BF: Semiconstrained total elbow replacement for the treatment of post-traumatic osteoarthrosis. J Bone Joint Surg, 79-A: 1211-1222, 1997.