- Volume 6 Issue 1
Purpose: Many different operative technique of mid-shaft clavicle fracture have been reported. The aim of this prospective study was to compare the results of anterior or anterior-inferior plating with superior plating on the acute mid-shaft fracture of clavicle Materials and Methods: From February1997 to February 2002, thirty-eight consecutive open reduction and internal fixation with reconstruction plates were performed in thirty-eight patients. from August 1999, anterior or anterior-inferior plating was mainly used, prospectively. The duration of follow-up averaged 17 months (range,23 to 43 months). The mean age was 38 years old (range,21 to 57 years old) on anterior or anterior-inferior plating group and 35 years old (range,24 to 55 years old) on superior plating group. The physician progress note, VAS patient complement score, Roentgenogram and ASES score was evaluated. Results: Four patients were lost to follow-up. There was no statistical difference on mean radiological bone union time （8.7 weeks vs. 8.6 weeks) and ASES score (92 vs 94) at inferior and superior plating groups (P > 0.05). VAS patient complement score was very good or excellent on anterior or anterior-inferior group, average score was 1.1 (ranger,0 to 2) compare with superior plating group (P < 0.05). There were two cases of infection, 1 case of failed fixation on superior plating group and 1 case of delayed union on anterior inferior plating group. Conclusion: Anterior inferior plating on acute clavicle midshaft fracture results in excellent patient complement score compare with conventional superior reconstruction plate.
Clavicle fracture;Reconstruction plate;Anterior or Anterior-Inferior Plating
- Back DH, Son JM, Jang JH, Kim HK, Ha NK and Lim KS: Comparison of results between conservative treatment and operative treatment in clavicle fractures of adults. J Kor Orthop, 35:77-80, 2000.
- Beall MH and Ross MG: Clavicle fracture in Labor:Rsik factors and associated morbidities. J Perinatology, 21:513-515, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jp.7210594
- Chan KY, Jupiter JB, Leffert RD and Marti R: Clavicle malunion. J shoulder elbow surg, 8:287-291, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(99)90146-5
- Cho DY and Lee JB: Operative treatment of nonunion of clavicle fractures. J Kor Soc Fraclure, 4:375-380, 1991.
- Chu CM, Wang SJ and Lin LC: Fixation of mid-third clavicular fractures with Knowles pin. Acta Orthop Scand, 73:134-139, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/000164702753671696
- Edvadsen P and Odegard O: Treatment of posttraumatic clavicular pseudoarthrosis. Acta Orthop Scand, 48:456-457, 1977. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453677708989730
- Enneking T, Hartlief MT and Fontijne PJ: Rushpin fixation for mid shaft clavicular nonunions. Acta Orthop Scand, 70:514-516, 1999. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453679909000991
- Grassi FA, Tajana MS and D' angelo F: Management of midshaft fractures:comparison between non operative treatment and open intramedullary fixation in 80 patients. J trauma, 50:1096-1100, 2000.
- Han DY, Yang IH and Lee JH: Clinical study of nonunion of clavicle in Adult. J Kor Soc Fracture, 5:356-364, 1992.
- Harnroongroj T and Vanaduronwan V: Biomechanical aspects of plating osteosynthesis of transverse clavicular fracture with and without inferior cortical defect. Clin Biomechanics, 11:290-294, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(96)00001-0
- Haupt H: Upper extremity injuries associated with strength training. Clin Sport Med, 20:481-490, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-5919(05)70264-7
- Hwang SK ailld Lee JH: Nonunion of Clavicle. J Kor Orthop, 24:817-823, 1989.
- Iannotti MR, Crosby LA, Stafford P, Grayson G and Goulet R: Effect of plate location and selection on the stability of midshaft clavicle osteotomies:A biomechanical study. J shouder Elbow surg, 11:457-462, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1067/mse.2002.125805
- Jupiter JB and Leffert RD: Nonunion of the clavicle. J Bone Joint Surg, 69:753-760, 1987.
- Kang JD, Kim KY, Kim HC and Kang KH: Operative treatment of the clavicular fractures with Reconstruction plate. J Kor Orthop, 32:1-5, 1997.
- Kang JD, Ha PS, Kim KY and Gwon YJ: Treatment of the fracture of middle third clavicle by intramedullary threaded Steinmann pin fixation. J Kor Orthop, 24:811-816, 1989.
- Koo FC, Choo EK, Chen CH, Yu SW, Chen CY and Yen CY: Treatment of distal clavicle fracture using Kirshner wires and Tension-band wires. J Trauma, 51:522-525, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200109000-00016
- Kim BH, Lim JI, Lim YK and Kim JJ: Operative treatment of clavicle fracture. J Kor Soc Fracture, 11:658-664, 1998.
- Kim IG, Kim JH, Kim CH and Hwang R: Operative treatment of the displaced clavicle shaft fracture in adult. J Kor Soc Fracture, 11:273-280, 1998.
- Kloen P, Sorkin AT and Helfet DL: Anteroinferior plating of midshaft clavicular nonunions. J Orthop Trauma, 16:425-430, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-200207000-00011
- Lee CJ, Jo WH, Chang HG and Min BI: Operative treatment of the fractures of clavicle. J Kor Orthop, 25:117-122, 1990.
- Lee KS, Park JH and Choi G: Treatment of the clavicle fracture. J Kor Soc Fracture, 8:461-466, 1995.
- Lee SH, Pyo YB and Lim GS: Treatment of the fractures of clavicle with butterfly fragment. J Kor Soc Fracture, 5:43-49, 1992.
- Lim BY, Jung HY, Shin DB and Tsung YT: Clinical analysis of management of adult clavicle fracture. J Kor Soc Fracture, 4:154-159, 1991.
- Mackoy BE, Bensen CV and Hartsock LA: Fractures about the shoulder. Orthop clin North Am, 31:205-216, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-5898(05)70141-3
- Mall JW, Jacobi CA, Phillipp AW and Peter FJ: Surgical treatment of fractures of the distal clavicle with polydioxanone suture tension band wiring:an alternative osteosynthesis. J Orthop Soc, 7:535-537, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007760200095
- Mullett H, Laing A and Curtin W: Successful operative treatment of bilateral clavicle nonunion. Injury, 32:69-70, 2001.
- Postacchini F and Gumina S: Epidemiology of clavicle fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 11:452-456, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1067/mse.2002.126613
- Richards RR, An KN and Bigliani LU et al.: A standardized method for the assessment of shouler function. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 3:347-352, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(09)80019-0
- Sadiq S, Peravalli WB, Dolye J, Dunningham T and Muddu BNM: Single or double plating for nonunion of the clavicle. Acta Orthop Belgica, 67:354-360, 2001.
- Shen WJ, Liu TJ and Shen YS: Plate fixation of fresh displaced mid shaft clavicle fractures. Injury, 30:497-500, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(99)00140-0
- Simpson NS: Clavicular nonunion and malunion: evaluation and surgical management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 4: 1-8, 1996.
- Song KJ, Chang KY and Hwang BY: Evaluation of treatment for clavicle fracture. J Kor Soc Fracture, 8:181-187, 1995.
- Tavitian JD, Davison JNS and Dias JJ: Clavicular fracture nonunion surgical outcome and complications. Injury, 33:135-143, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(01)00069-9
- Wick M, Mueller EJ, Kollig E and Muhr G: Midshaft fractures of the clavicle with a shortening of more than 2 cm predispose to nonunion. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, 121:207-211, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004020000202