- Volume 6 Issue 1
The shoulder is the most common site in the body for calcific deposition. Calcific tendinitis is one of the common lesions of the painful shoulder. The surpaspinatus tendon is the most frequently affected location, next the infraspinatus and relatively rare the subscapularis tendon. We report upon a case of calcific tendinitis of subscapularis tendon alone, which developed in a 61-year-old female after minor trauma and was treated successfully with surgical excision.
Calcific tendinitis;Subscapularis tendon;Surgical excision
- Ark JW, Flock TJ, Flatow EL and Biglini LU: Arthroscopic treatment of calcific tendinitis of the shoulder. Arthroscopy, 8(2):183-188,1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-8063(92)90034-9
- Bosworth BM: Calcium deposits in the shoulder and subacromial bursitis: a survey of 12, 122 shoulder. JAMA, 116:2477-2482, 1941. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1941.02820220019004
- Bosworth BM: Examination of the shoulder for calcium deposits. J Bone Joint Surg, 23(A):567-577, 1941.
- Codman EA: The shoulder. Boston: Thomas Todd, 178-215,1934.
- Depalma AF and Kruper JS: Long term study of shoulder joints afficted with and treated for calcific tendinitis. Clin Orthop, 20:61-72,1961.
- Friedman MS: Calcified tendinitis of the shoulder. Am J Surg, 94:56-61, 1957. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(57)90618-9
- Hayes CW, Rosenthal DI, Plata MJ and Hudson TM: Calcific tendinitis in unusual sites associated with cortical bone erosion. AJR, 149:967-970,1987. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.149.5.967
- Holt PD and Keats TE: Calcific tendinitis: a review of the usual and unusual. Skeletal Radiol, 22:1-9,1993.
- Jerosch J, Strauss JM and Schmiel S: Arthroscopic treatment of calcific tendinitis of the shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 7(1):30-37, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(98)90180-X
- Lippmann RK: Observation concerning the calcific cuff deposit. Clin Orthop, 20:49-60, 1961.
- Litchman HM, Silver CM, Simon SD and Eshragi S: The surgical management of calcific tendinitis of the shoulder. Int Surg, 50(5):474-482, 1968.
- Moseley HF: Calcified deposits in the rotator cuff. Shoulder Lesions, 3rd Ed, Edinburgh & London, Livingstone, 99-118, 1969.
- Plenk HP: Calcifying tendinitis of the shoulder. Radiology, 59:384-389, 1952. https://doi.org/10.1148/59.3.384
- Uhthoff HK and Loehr J: Calcific tendinopathy of the rotator cuff: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg, 5:183-191, 1997.