- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nonlinear analysis of cable-stayed spatial latticed structures
- Zhou, Dai (Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Liu, Hongyu (Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Jin, Bo (Department of Engineering Mechanics and Technology, Tongji University)
- Received : 2002.06.25
- Accepted : 2003.02.25
- Published : 2003.04.25
The combination of spatial latticed structures (hereafter SLS) and flexible cables, the cable-stayed spatial latticed structures (hereafter CSLS) can cross longer span. According to variation principle, a novel geometric nonlinear formulation for 3-D bar elements considering large displacement and infinitesimal rotation increments with second-order precision is developed. The cable nonlinearity is investigated and it is taken that the secant modulus method can be considered as an exact method for a cable member. The tower column with which the cables link is regarded as a special kind of beam element, and, a new simplified stiffness formulation is presented. The computational strategies for the nonlinear dynamic response of structures are given, and the ultimate load carrying capacities and seismic responses are analyzed numerically. It is noted that, compared with corresponding spatial latticed shells, the cable-stayed spatial latticed shells have more strength and more stiffness, and that the verical seismic responses of both CSLS and CLS are remarkably greater than the horizontal ones. In addition, the computation shows that the stiffness of tower column influences the performance of CSLS to a certain extent and the improvement of structural strength and stiffness of CSLS is relevant not only to cables but also to tower columns.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Abrate, S. and Sun, C.T. (1983), "Dynamic analysis of geometrically nonlinear truss structures", Comput. Struct., 17(4), 491-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(83)90044-5
- Borri, C. and Hufendiek, H.W. (1985), "Geometrically non-linear behavior of space beam structures", J. Structural Mechanics, 13(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.1080/03601218508907487
- Buchholdt, H.A. (1999), An Introduction to Cable Roof Structures, 2nd ed., Thomas Telford.
- Chan, S.L. (1992), "Large deflection kinematic formulations for three-dimensional framed structures", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 95(1), 17-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(92)90079-Y
- Chu, Kuang-Han and Ma, David Chia-Chiun (1976), "Nonlinear cable and frame interaction", J. Struct. Div., 102(ST3), 569-589.
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (1975), Dynamics of Structures, McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Dong, S.L., Zhao, Y. and Zhou, D. (2000), "New structural forms and new technologies in the development of steel space structures in China", Advances in Structural Engineering, 3(1), 49-65. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369433001502012
- Dong, S.L. and Luo, Y.Z. (1994), "The simplified method of cable-stayed space truss analysis (in Chinese)", Symposiums on New Space Structures, Zhejiang University Press, Huangzhou, China, 89-92.
- Hangai, Y. (1981), "Application of the generalized inverse to the geometrically nonlinear problem", Solid Mechanics Archives, 6(1), 129-165.
- Hobbs, R.E. and Raoof, M. (1996), "Behaviour of cables under dynamic or repeated loading", J. Construct. Steel Res., 39(1), 31-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(96)00028-4
- Hsiao, K.M. and Chang, M.T. (1991), "A motion process for large displacement analysis of spatial frames", Int. J. Space Structures, 6(2), 133-139. https://doi.org/10.1177/026635119100600205
- John, W. Leonard (1988), Tension Structures, McGraw-Hill Inc., New York.
- Kato, S. and Niho, Y. (2000), "Proportioning method for single layer reticulated domes-knock-down factor for proportioning method and estimating ultimate loads", Proc. Sixth Asian Pacific Conference on Shell and Spatial Structures, Seoul, 1, 189-198.
- Kato, S., Yamashita, T. and Ueki, T. (2000), "Evaluation of elasto-plastic buckling strength of two-way grid shells using continuum analogy", Proc. Sixth Asian Pacific Conference on Shell and Spatial Structures, Seoul, 1, 105-114.
- Kato, S., Ueki, T. and Mukaiyama, Y. (1997), "Study of dynamic collapse of single layer reticular domes subjected to earthquake motion and the estimation of statically equivalent seismic forces", Int. J. Space Structures, 12(3,4), 191-203.
- Kato, S. and Mukaiyama, Y. (1995), "Study on dynamic behavior and collapse acceleration of single layer reticular domes subjected to horizontal and vertical earthquake motions", J. Structural and Construction Engineering, 77(4), 87-96.
- Kim, Jong-Hwa and Chang, Sung-Pil (2001), "Dynamic stiffness matrix of an inclined cable", Eng. Struct., 23(12), 1614-1621. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00044-X
- Kneen, P. (1993), "Cable-supported space frame roof structures", Space Structure 4, 2,Thomas Telford, London.
- Krishna, Prem (1978), Cable-Suspended Roofs, McGraw-Hill Book Inc.
- Krishna, P. (2001), "Tension roofs and bridges", J. Construct. Steel Res., 57(11), 1123-1140. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00027-X
- Liew, J.Y.R., Punniyakotty, N.M. and Shanmugam, N.E. (1997), "Advanced analysis and design of spatial structures", J. Construct. Steel Res., 42(1), 21-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(97)00005-9
- Makowski, Z.S. (1993), "Space structures - a review of the developments within the last decade", Space Structure 4, 1, Thomas Telford, London.
- Meek, J.L. (1991), Computer Methods in Structural Analysis, E & FN SPON, London.
- Narayanan, G. and Krishnamoorthy, C.S. (1990), "An investigation of geometric non-linear formulation for 3D beam element", Int. J. Nonlinear Mechanics, 25(6), 643-662. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7462(90)90004-S
- Newmark, N.M. (1959), "A method of computation for structural dynamic", J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, 85, 67-94.
- Osamu Hosozawa, Kouhei Shimamura and Taro Mizutani (1999), "The role of cables in large span spatial structures: introduction of recent space structures with cables in Japan", Eng. Struct., 21(8),795-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00032-7
- Schueler, W. (1983), Horizontal-Span Building Structures, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Schrefler, B.A. and Odorizz, S. (1983), "A total lagrangian geometrically nonlinear analysis of combined beam and cable structures", Comput. Struct., 17(1), 115-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(83)90036-6
- Shen, Z.Y., Chen, Y.J. and Chen, X.C. (1988), "Mechanical model of ultimate bearing capacity of steel tube structures (in Chinese)", J. Tongji University, 16(3), 279-292.
- Smith, E.A. (1984), "Space trusses nonlinear analysis", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 109(7), 1635-1647. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:7(1635)
- Smith, E.A. and Smith, G.A. (1981), "Collapes analysis of space trusses", Proc. of Symposium on Long Span Roof Structures, ASCE, 127-148.
- Starossek, U. (1991), "Dynamic stiffness matrix of sagging cable", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 117(12), 2815-2829. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1991)117:12(2815)
- Yamashita, Tetsuo and Kato, Shiro (2001), "Elastic buckling characteristics of two-way grid shells of single layer and its application in design to evaluate the non-linear behavior and ultimate strength", J. Construct. Steel Res., 57(12), 1289-1308. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00024-4